Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RUST on P30

a latest 'Saved From The Dump' camera is a P30 with 2 lenses, one Pentax Zoom Takumar 'A' 28-80mm f3.5-4.5, one Vivitar Zoom 70-300mm f 4.2-5.8 , Cobra flash, Cobra Bag, Cokin and Jessop Filters BUT OH DEAR-- due to being 'in The Loft' for many years Camera is all Rusty along the back and the strap eyelits. I dumped camera bag as it was filthy and torn , both lenses have FUNGUS and to get camera battery out I had to take off base-plate with JLS Screwdriver having put a minute amount of WD40 onto small rusty screw heads . I lubricated all the cogs and levers with minute amount of Sewing Machine oil, fitted fresh 1.5 V SR 44 batteries 'borrowed' from my 1970's KX and it 'creaked into Life ! '
Now I have the idea to emery paper off the RUST and paint on some black Chinese Lacquer that I have, but preliminary attempts with Emery paper have not taken off all the Rust. Any Advice ?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-29-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's always Naval Jelly. Toxic and needs to be used out doors. You better read about it before using.
01-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Rust isn't really a big concern except for aesthetics. I kinda like the look, like it was through a war and lived to tell the tale.
01-31-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well-- I got some ' Hammerite Rust Removal gel' and put it on then wiped off as much as i could , then painted on some Black Chinese Lacquer and it looks much better. But I found that a lens would not operate properly -- it was already 'Stopped Down' so i had a look and lubricated the lens ring inside the lens mount, then the 'Depth of Field' lever wa stuck, so lubicated that and pulled it up from the stuck position, Now lenses 'Stop Down' when shutter goes. i also renewed the light seal strips on camera back .
'After Treatment' Images attached

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo