Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2019, 12:09 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Pocket book that was in bag of K1000 goodies

I picked up a Pentax K1000 yesterday. It came in a camera bag, with all sorts of filters, converters, closeup lenses, lenses, releases a flash unit, and various other things. In one of the pockets was this little spiral bound pocket sized book. Pretty neat. I love wheels!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
01-30-2019, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Computer" used to mean something different. No web browser for one thing.

Last edited by normhead; 01-30-2019 at 01:09 PM.
01-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure I had one of those a long time ago.
01-30-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That looks like a pretty slick little fieldbook. It must have been quite useful back 'in the day'.

The DoF 'computer' is simple to use yet it yields numbers that can be viewed directly across a range of f-numbers or distances. I especially like how the instructions are clearly and simply expressed.

Neat find in the bag! What other goodies did you get?

- Craig

01-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #5

I still have mine, and carry it in my gear bag with filters, caps, a gray card, and other "stuff". While not the latest and greatest, it's an excellent reference for the "ABC's" of photography.

The D-O-F scales are especially handy since newer lenses tend not to have them engraved on the lens body, and I have stickies attached for my large format lenses.
01-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got one too, as well as the other Kodak guides for specific types of shooting. (B&W film, filters, existing light and colour slides)

Been using these Kodak Guides since I started out in the mid 1970's.

Phil.
01-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
Forum Member

Great find - I had something similar years ago that came with a Zenith B - it was like a compendium of photography know how. Its long gone now but it was one of the beast 'how to; guides I think I ever saw.
01-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Brown Quote
In one of the pockets was this little spiral bound pocket sized book. Pretty neat. I love wheels!
Congratulations! The various Kodak technical guide books have a wealth of useful information that is still relevant to contemporary photo technology. I have, and still use, the Kodak Professional Photoguide (Publication R-28) which has similar information to your book but in a slightly larger dimension publication. Although the calculator dials and charts could be converted to mobile device apps, there is no electronic equivalent to the gray card, gray scale and color patches that are included in the R-28 book.

Dennis

01-31-2019, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I recall a photo magazine article from the '80s that said everyone should have one of those Kodak guides stuffed in their gadget bag back pocket.

In addition to being helpful if your light meter went haywire while travelling (actually happened to me once), the author pointed out that many of the exposure recommendations were more accurate and useful than your light meter - particularly when doing scenery at night. We've all seen our cameras try to lighten up night streetscapes too much. And what starting point do you use when trying your hand at fireworks? The Guide had the answers.

We're all spoiled today with being able to check exposures and histograms moments after the shot. Back in the K1000's heyday, you didn't know whether you were even close on oddball exposure scenarios until after the film came back from the lab.
01-31-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
the author pointed out that many of the exposure recommendations were more accurate and useful than your light meter - particularly when doing scenery at night. We've all seen our cameras try to lighten up night streetscapes too much. And what starting point do you use when trying your hand at fireworks? The Guide had the answers.
Exactly!

I used the Kodak guide to help me with my first city night shoot on a trip I took to Europe in 1976, with my Pentax KX shooting Kodachrome 64. I used a tripod and followed the recommended exposures settings for Kodachrome 64 and the shots turned out perfectly. I had no clue what I was doing then with night shooting, but the Kodak guide saved the day.

Phil.

PS I still have one of those night shots hanging in my house, as an 36x24 enlargement.
01-31-2019, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

PS I still have one of those night shots hanging in my house, as an 36x24 enlargement.
I was sitting here wondering why Kodachrome wouldn’t be at 36x24... thinking ‘they’re all that size...’

Inches... not millimeters...

Sheesh... I need a nap

-Eric