Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2019, 04:06 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Today's find. A black ME Super

Got this today. A black ME Super. I popped in a couple batteries, and EVERYTHING WORKS! Yay!. What a nice sized camera. In real nice condition, too.

Any tips on this model? Quirks?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
01-30-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I have no tips, but that's a nice - looking find!
01-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The AUTO and M settings and the buttons are a tad quirky at first, but it's actually quite intuitive. I also have a silver ME Super, but the meter has never worked on it.
01-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice find. Only quirk is the buttons, but seems like you got the hang of them. Shutter is electronic so if you run out of juice, you're limited to bulb and 1/125.

01-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got an ME Super also. I like the camera and size of it. It took me a bit to get use to the buttons also, but it's never given me a problem. Nice find!
01-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it looks beautiful. congrats on your acquisition!
01-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I like the size of it. I also like BIG SLR cameras. Big cameras feel substantial and beefy. This camera feels small and beefy.

I'd like to find a black MX as well. But they seem to be relatively pricey for the most part. I enjoy finding old cameras for next to nothing, that turn out to be in great condition. It's funny how many people think an old SLR is broken, only because the battery is dead. Or they think that they are worthless because "nobody uses film, you can't even buy it any more".

01-30-2019, 08:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Brown Quote
... only because the battery is dead
or, as in may case, inserting the battery flipped the wrong way.

I'm happy to now have a nice compact working camera for next-to-nothing, which shares some great lenses with the K-1, since my previously used Practika-B equipment (mainly CZJ lenses), somehow magically teleports to my daughter's place. Usability is not on par, but OK.
01-30-2019, 09:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice find. I'm waiting for my Super to get here. Hope it's in as good as shape as yours.
01-30-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On auto, you set the aperture. You half-click. You view the shutter speed inside the viewfinder, and try to get the shutter certainly above 60, but basically you set the speed of the shutter by changing the aperture on the lens.

The black and silver version was my law school graduation gift. I loved it. Plus I see you have a Pentax f/2.8 28mm wide angle lens. Dad gave me a Focal f/2.8 28mm wide angle lens with mine he purchased at K-Mart back when the big box stores stocked the highest quality cameras and equipment. Focal lenses are the K-Mart brand, believed to have been manufactured by Tokina. I still have the lens and it works great with my Pentax K-5. Your Pentax lens is undoubtedly qualitatively better than the one with which I continue to get nice pics.
01-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #11
Forum Member

I love the bright viewfinder and one of the quietest shutters on any camera I have seen. Great for stealthy work...
02-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

My first SLR was an ME Super in 1982. Perhaps because I had never used an SLR with a traditional shutter speed dial, I never found the buttons a problem. Nice find.
02-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
My first SLR was an ME Super in 1982. Perhaps because I had never used an SLR with a traditional shutter speed dial, I never found the buttons a problem. Nice find.
Now you need the winder for your black ME Super. With that and a fast 50 you will cut quite the fine figure, in addition to being equipped for fine photography.
02-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
What part number is the winder for the ME Super?
02-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Winder for ME Super

QuoteOriginally posted by John Brown Quote
What part number is the winder for the ME Super?
That I don't know. Check with good used camera vendors, such as KEH, B&H, Adorama, among others. The winders are inexpensive. Here's a current listing from KEH:https://www.keh.com/shop/pentax-35-manual-focus-winder-me-ii-super-program-p...mg-221375.html Treat yourself!