Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Asahi Pentax S2 ‘Super’ black paint?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has some knowledge about black paint S2 Supers?

I’ve stumbled across one locally listed as a ‘Pentax S2’. However, the pictures show a 1/1000” shutter dial and a self-resetting shot counter, suggesting it’s actually a later model S2 ‘Super’.

Does anyone know how many of these were produced in black? Is it something special worth grabbing, or ‘just’ another M42 Pentax?

Thanks in advance

Attached Images

02-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I was wondering if anyone has some knowledge about black paint S2 Supers?
No input from the brains trust? 😱
02-07-2019, 04:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

No input from the brains trust? 😱

Nor the forum search!
02-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It does sound more like the Super version, likely for the home market, not export?

02-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
It does sound more like the Super version, likely for the home market, not export?
By home market do you mean my home market (Aus), your home market (US) or Pentax’s home market (Japan)?

I have read a few comments about the ‘Super’ version only being made for the Japanese market, although that makes me wonder how this one made its way to Queensland...
02-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By home market do you mean my home market (Aus), your home market (US) or Pentax’s home market (Japan)?

I have read a few comments about the ‘Super’ version only being made for the Japanese market, although that makes me wonder how this one made its way to Queensland...
I meant the Japanese home market - which is where I understand the "Super" was sold.
However, I got an early SV a while back that was a model bought at a military exchange in Japan, and it came with the normal color S1/S3 Operating manual in English, but with a brief additional B&W "SV / Super S2" manual which noted: "The new Asahi Pentax SV and Super S2 cameras are so new that they are not yet being exported and the instruction booklet for these models has not been completed." - so they added this simple supplement.
This supplement describes the Super S2 (with picture) as having the Super-Takumar 55 f2, the diagonal micro-prism screen of the S1, and states all other features are like the S3. The picture of the top shows the 1000 shutter speed, but also the manual reset frame counter.
So your S2 has the (semi) Auto Takumar and the SV frame counter so it doesn't match the description of the early Super S2.
The Super S2 in the brochure photo has serial 409880 - so far earlier than your S2.
02-15-2019, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

There are, as TomB_tx writes, several versions of the S2 "Super". An early version, and then two later versions.

First version had the old style film counter, requiring a manual reset. It was sold with a Super Takumar 55mm f2 as standard lens.
Second version came in two versions, both had the self-zeoring film counter. The two versions are distingushed by the color of the "R" on the rewind level
- An orange "R" supports the new 50mm f1.4 since it protrudes further into the camera, this is the O.P. version.
- An green "R" does not support the 50mm f1.4.

The S2 with 1/1000 as top speed, was sold in Japan, and possibly in PX'es as well as some are exporteted.

Black was a regular option that could be ordered. I am not sure if the black came with a higher cost than the chrome version. The number of blacks is often around 10% of the total volume. The S2 and S2 Super is not that rare. but to see an early S2 "Super" in black is less common than to see a black of the later versions.
02-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an identical one in black as well but mine has a lot of brassing. I think it is not the rarest, but it is not common either.

02-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The S2 Super was also sold as SB2. SB2's were sold only in Japanease army stores. The S2 Super is equal to the S1a, both have product number 230-3(!) even though the S1a only have 1/500 marked on the dial, but there is a "hidden" stop also for 1/1000

Of the 54 S2 Super I have registered, 8 are balck.

I did write that the S2 Super were for sale in Japan. My copy of the S2 Super is of the first model. Inside the camera there is a sticker indicating that the camera was either sold or repaired by a comany called Fotoptic, in São Palo, Brazil. A CLA by Eric back in 2013 has kept the camera in great shape.
02-16-2019, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hi

There are, as TomB_tx writes, several versions of the S2 "Super". An early version, and then two later versions.

First version had the old style film counter, requiring a manual reset. It was sold with a Super Takumar 55mm f2 as standard lens.
Second version came in two versions, both had the self-zeoring film counter. The two versions are distingushed by the color of the "R" on the rewind level
- An orange "R" supports the new 50mm f1.4 since it protrudes further into the camera, this is the O.P. version.
- An green "R" does not support the 50mm f1.4.

The S2 with 1/1000 as top speed, was sold in Japan, and possibly in PX'es as well as some are exporteted.

Black was a regular option that could be ordered. I am not sure if the black came with a higher cost than the chrome version. The number of blacks is often around 10% of the total volume. The S2 and S2 Super is not that rare. but to see an early S2 "Super" in black is less common than to see a black of the later versions.
Interesting. I took a walk this morning with the Sightseeing Screwmount, which is a Green ‘R’ SV that’s traveling from member to member to shoot with this fine old Pentax. My personal SV is an Orange ‘R’ version, so I can use the 8-element ST50/1.4 with the protruding rear element. I managed to track one down a few years ago.

The SV is my favorite handling, sounding and looking film camera.