Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,688
Asahi Pentax S2 ‘Super’ black paint?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has some knowledge about black paint S2 Supers?

I’ve stumbled across one locally listed as a ‘Pentax S2’. However, the pictures show a 1/1000” shutter dial and a self-resetting shot counter, suggesting it’s actually a later model S2 ‘Super’.

Does anyone know how many of these were produced in black? Is it something special worth grabbing, or ‘just’ another M42 Pentax?

Thanks in advance

Attached Images
 
02-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,688
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I was wondering if anyone has some knowledge about black paint S2 Supers?
No input from the brains trust? 😱
02-07-2019, 04:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 594
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
No input from the brains trust? 😱

Nor the forum search!
02-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,326
It does sound more like the Super version, likely for the home market, not export?

02-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,688
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
It does sound more like the Super version, likely for the home market, not export?
By home market do you mean my home market (Aus), your home market (US) or Pentax’s home market (Japan)?

I have read a few comments about the ‘Super’ version only being made for the Japanese market, although that makes me wonder how this one made its way to Queensland...
02-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,326
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
By home market do you mean my home market (Aus), your home market (US) or Pentax’s home market (Japan)?

I have read a few comments about the ‘Super’ version only being made for the Japanese market, although that makes me wonder how this one made its way to Queensland...
I meant the Japanese home market - which is where I understand the "Super" was sold.
However, I got an early SV a while back that was a model bought at a military exchange in Japan, and it came with the normal color S1/S3 Operating manual in English, but with a brief additional B&W "SV / Super S2" manual which noted: "The new Asahi Pentax SV and Super S2 cameras are so new that they are not yet being exported and the instruction booklet for these models has not been completed." - so they added this simple supplement.
This supplement describes the Super S2 (with picture) as having the Super-Takumar 55 f2, the diagonal micro-prism screen of the S1, and states all other features are like the S3. The picture of the top shows the 1000 shutter speed, but also the manual reset frame counter.
So your S2 has the (semi) Auto Takumar and the SV frame counter so it doesn't match the description of the early Super S2.
The Super S2 in the brochure photo has serial 409880 - so far earlier than your S2.
02-15-2019, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Baard-Einar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oslo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 735
Hi

There are, as TomB_tx writes, several versions of the S2 "Super". An early version, and then two later versions.

First version had the old style film counter, requiring a manual reset. It was sold with a Super Takumar 55mm f2 as standard lens.
Second version came in two versions, both had the self-zeoring film counter. The two versions are distingushed by the color of the "R" on the rewind level
- An orange "R" supports the new 50mm f1.4 since it protrudes further into the camera, this is the O.P. version.
- An green "R" does not support the 50mm f1.4.


The S2 with 1/1000 as top speed, was sold in Japan, and possibly in PX'es as well as some are exporteted.

Black was a regular option that could be ordered. I am not sure if the black came with a higher cost than the chrome version. The number of blacks is often around 10% of the total volume. The S2 and S2 Super is not that rare. but to see an early S2 "Super" in black is less common than to see a black of the later versions.
02-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
sergysergy's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,251
I have an identical one in black as well but mine has a lot of brassing. I think it is not the rarest, but it is not common either.

02-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Baard-Einar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oslo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 735
The S2 Super was also sold as SB2. SB2's were sold only in Japanease army stores. The S2 Super is equal to the S1a, both have product number 230-3(!) even though the S1a only have 1/500 marked on the dial, but there is a "hidden" stop also for 1/1000

Of the 54 S2 Super I have registered, 8 are balck.

I did write that the S2 Super were for sale in Japan. My copy of the S2 Super is of the first model. Inside the camera there is a sticker indicating that the camera was either sold or repaired by a comany called Fotoptic, in São Palo, Brazil. A CLA by Eric back in 2013 has kept the camera in great shape.
02-16-2019, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,933
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hi

There are, as TomB_tx writes, several versions of the S2 "Super". An early version, and then two later versions.

First version had the old style film counter, requiring a manual reset. It was sold with a Super Takumar 55mm f2 as standard lens.
Second version came in two versions, both had the self-zeoring film counter. The two versions are distingushed by the color of the "R" on the rewind level
- An orange "R" supports the new 50mm f1.4 since it protrudes further into the camera, this is the O.P. version.
- An green "R" does not support the 50mm f1.4.


The S2 with 1/1000 as top speed, was sold in Japan, and possibly in PX'es as well as some are exporteted.

Black was a regular option that could be ordered. I am not sure if the black came with a higher cost than the chrome version. The number of blacks is often around 10% of the total volume. The S2 and S2 Super is not that rare. but to see an early S2 "Super" in black is less common than to see a black of the later versions.
Interesting. I took a walk this morning with the Sightseeing Screwmount, which is a Green ‘R’ SV that’s traveling from member to member to shoot with this fine old Pentax. My personal SV is an Orange ‘R’ version, so I can use the 8-element ST50/1.4 with the protruding rear element. I managed to track one down a few years ago.

The SV is my favorite handling, sounding and looking film camera.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
asahi pentax s2, pentax, s2
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: (New price)Asahi Pentax AP and Asahi Pentax K cameras 1957-58 (+ Pentax H3 and H1a ) 17dew Sold Items 13 10-08-2018 10:53 AM
Silver Body Touch Up Paint & Black Gloss Frosty66 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 7 04-07-2017 12:58 AM
Asahi Pentax S2 with RED logo letters text? Jimmydan Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 03-05-2017 02:31 AM
Flat black paint for lens repair? cyclone3d Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 07-07-2011 10:05 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top