Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
That may be so, but I still think the MZ-S UI and ergonomics are closer to today's Pentax dSLR's than the PZ1p.

---------- Post added 02-22-2019 at 08:46 AM ----------

From the OP, my understanding is that they have modern Pentax glass that they would like to use on film.

But generally I agree, if I want fast my digital stuff is going to be streets ahead of even the best AF film body. Manual/mechanical is my standard criteria for film gear
I never used the MZ-S, so I'll default to your opinion on it. But I did use the PZ-1P for quite a few years before I bought an istD and the transition between the two was very easy.

On the plus side for the PZ-1P, currently the price is very low, so buying one is pretty easy entry. If it doesn't work out you can always buy into the MZ-S which still has a higher selling price.

I also used the *ist for a while before the the digital switch and it was a great little camera but I never liked it as much as the PZ-1P. I think Pentax really hit the specs and ergonomics with the PZ-1P. That 1/250th flash sync still hasn't been replicated on a DSLR.

02-21-2019, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Hey ZombieArmy, there is a Pentax Forum Marketplace ad right now for a ZXL with grip and a matching silver 28-80 lens for like US$45 which is a good price
nice price with the grip!! a couple bucks cheaper than when I purchased them separately
02-22-2019, 12:14 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
But it's crippled, so you can't (properly) use the aperture ring on manual lenses.
That's true; I was just clarifying the shutter speed controls.
02-22-2019, 03:16 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would say go for either the PZ-1/PZ1P (International Z-1/Z-1P) or the MZ-S. I had the Z-1 before it died on me and now have 2 MZ-S. One bought new in 2008 and the other Near mint UNUSED on eBay.

My first one had the mirror motor failure which was fixed by a Japanese company run by former Pentax Techs and engineers.

02-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
I never used the MZ-S, so I'll default to your opinion on it. But I did use the PZ-1P for quite a few years before I bought an istD and the transition between the two was very easy.

On the plus side for the PZ-1P, currently the price is very low, so buying one is pretty easy entry. If it doesn't work out you can always buy into the MZ-S which still has a higher selling price.

I also used the *ist for a while before the the digital switch and it was a great little camera but I never liked it as much as the PZ-1P. I think Pentax really hit the specs and ergonomics with the PZ-1P. That 1/250th flash sync still hasn't been replicated on a DSLR.
I have both the MZ-S and the PZ-1P. I agree that the PZ-1P handles more like a DSLR (like my K-50 and K-70), that's one of the things I like about it. Those dual control wheels and hyper modes are the best way to control, my K70 does it the same way. The MZ-S control dial is a little more awkward to adjust, and it is really more of a Tv adjustment though it does allow you to change exposure even if the lens lacks an aperture ring. The PZ-1P feels great in the hand. I added an inexpensive grip-strap to mine which is even better. It is heavier than the MZ-S, but still about the same weight as my K-70. In some features the PZ-1P has better specs than the MZ-S.

People complain that the MZ-S is expensive, and it is more expensive than most used film cameras that I've purchased. However, I got mine for $239 plus shipping from Japan, about what I might spend on a digital point and shoot. My PZ-1P was $70, about the average for them at the time. I was prepared to spend what the MZ-S costs because of it's significance in the Pentax line. I later got the BG-10 grip (which is really nice, especially for vertical operation) and the SMC Pentax-FA 24-90mm F3.5-4.5 AL [IF] lens that was the original MZ-S lens. Both of those accessories were a bit expensive as well, but I'm glad I have them to use with my MZ-S.
03-04-2019, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Been getting into film lately, and while I'm enjoying using a spotmatic I would like a camera that can also use my modern lenses that don't have an aperture ring. It's really hard for me to tell which ones are good though as a few seem to have very little control options like the PZ-10. I'd prefer something without a crippled mount.
I used three PZ-1p bodies as a small town photojournalist until going digital in 2004. The PZ-1p did just about everything well. The 1/250 flash synch was great for sports filll flash. The off the film flash metering worked very well, including flash compensation. Really USING these bodies on a daily basis revealed the weak link, that super fast Sony shutter was prone to failure before anything else. I bought Pentax extended warranties on all three bodies. The oldest, most used never failed me so I used the warranty for a CLA. The other two PZ-1p’s both had shutter failures, replaced under the extended warranty. The newest, least used one failed again just after the warranty expired.
Don’t let what I said scare you away from the PZ-1p. Mine shot a lot of sports at the full 4fps. They ate a lot of fine dust too. Sandlot baseball is a camera killer. You can tell a PZ-1p that has had hundreds and of rolls of film run through it. Open the back and look at the pressure plate and film guides. High use will show polished areas on the pressure plate. Find one without much exterior scuffing and a new looking film are and you will have a fin, long lasting camera.