Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2019, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #1

Slooooooooooowww mirror on Pentax LX

Hello all.
Well, after some years in the shelf, i wanted to shoot again with my LX.
And what happens?
When i shoot, the mirror goes up sloooowly, and goes down normaly.

If i invert the camera, upside down position, the mirror moves faster, but goes down ( in this position up) slowly.
It's not the sticky mirror problem.

If i move it by hand, i feel it heavy, and "stationary".
I have a P30, and a K1000, and both mirrors are ok, when i move them by hand, they act free with clear tension.

Seems that the problem can be clogged grease....?

I've tried to find info in how to do a DIY maintenance, and nothing....
I've opening the base plate just to take a look, but from beneath there's no visual contact with the mecanics of the mirror.
Anyone can give me his opinion on what way need i take to arrive to this mecanic part to clean and lubricate?

I know, the best way is to send the camera to a CLA, but i like to do it myself, if it's not toooooo dificult.

Here's a video of the problem:

Thanks for your opinions!

Fabian

02-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

it looks like there is a just a little up from rest that it is dragging on. Its not slow all the way up, just at that point. Since it reverses when you invert it, I would guess lubrication plus gravity. When you invert it, gravity is pushing the other way. If you're going to try to fix it yourself, you'll need this:

http://pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/lx_repair.pdf
02-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It needs a clean and lube. Sombody may have used the wrong lubricant in the past, or it could be a buildup of gunk.
03-02-2019, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.
How can i reach the mirror mechanism?, from the front? someone knows how to dismantle it?
i cannot see the way to approach it in the manual....

Thanks for your suggestions!

Fabian

03-02-2019, 09:11 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by foliver Quote
Thanks for your replies.
How can i reach the mirror mechanism?, from the front? someone knows how to dismantle it?
i cannot see the way to approach it in the manual....

Thanks for your suggestions!

Fabian
An LX is a complex camera that requires expertise to repair correctly. IMO despite your desire to do it yourself I suggest you spend the money for a CLA. Your camera will work flawlessly for twenty years if you do, but parts such as the body seals kits (if you open the camera you must replace the seals) are running out and once completely exhausted they’re gone forever.
04-04-2019, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #6

I had an LX with a similar problem. Simple fire the shutter many times until it frees up. I would say mine took 100 releases before it was moving freely again.
04-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for the coment James, tomorrow, with a cofee, i'll give it a try.

11-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hey foliver, did yours ever work? I know this thread is a few months old but I thought I'd ask... I have an LX that I bought recently that is doing exactly the same thing, but after some 100 actuations, it hasn't gotten any better. The seals look good and there's no "gooey" stuff anywhere like others with shutter issues have reported. I hear if they open the camera they have to replace the seals and these are becoming rare now... so I wanted to see if I can get it working.
11-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hi Christian!
No, mine is not working and the problem persist even if I’ve done it lot of actuations. I think is not an diy work ( it’s all i wanted) so I”ll send it to repair, if they want to take it for repair. A real peety. Please, if you find a way to resolve the problem post again.
Good luck!!
Fabian
11-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by foliver Quote
Hi Christian!
No, mine is not working and the problem persist even if I’ve done it lot of actuations. I think is not an diy work ( it’s all i wanted) so I”ll send it to repair, if they want to take it for repair. A real peety. Please, if you find a way to resolve the problem post again.
Good luck!!
Fabian
I've played around with it like you did and it's probably something else. Could the shutter mechanism have gotten weaker with age? I would guess it might actually be a lubrication issue, in which case it is better to send it off somewhere - the information I have is that you can't open the camera without ruining the seals, which then have to be replaced.

Let me know how yours goes...
10-29-2020, 05:26 AM   #11
Forum Member

I know this thread is over one year old, but just my input. This is most probably caused by a goey mirror rest positioned in the left bottom corner of the mirror box (visible when you lock-up the mirror. That sticky stuff is keeping the mirror from retracting backwards, before moving up. You might try to apply some chalk powder (or pencil lead) to see if that helps. When so, you should renew the pad, which is not easy. I did it by cutting a piece of rubber (from an inner tyre), size 2.5x1.75x1.5 mm, and glue that in place. You may need to recalibrate the mirror angle after that.
11-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This problem in one form or the other seems to come to all LX's eventually. Get the proper service done and maybe never need to worry about it again. Well worth doing.
11-03-2020, 06:27 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fiddlefye Quote
This problem in one form or the other seems to come to all LX's eventually. Get the proper service done and maybe never need to worry about it again. Well worth doing.
I fully agree, but I want to do it myself. I'm sourcing replacements for the rubber pads needed for the mirror box, especially the righthanded one.
11-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by huge10 Quote
I fully agree, but I want to do it myself. I'm sourcing replacements for the rubber pads needed for the mirror box, especially the righthanded one.
You're a handier guy than I am. I'll do work on some cameras, but the LX is just too good and complex for me to attempt. Fortunately I have a great tech locally so when my LX needed the treatment it wasn't a problem.
11-15-2020, 02:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
it looks like there is a just a little up from rest that it is dragging on. Its not slow all the way up, just at that point. Since it reverses when you invert it, I would guess lubrication plus gravity. When you invert it, gravity is pushing the other way. If you're going to try to fix it yourself, you'll need this:

http://pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/lx_repair.pdf
Thanks for this guide! I have an LX and it suffers a little from non-use, but then it comes alive again. But this guide could be very useful in the future to sort out some small problems.