Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2019, 10:43 PM   #1

Pentax Super Program - No display on LCD, Shutter at same speed

Hi all,

I've a Pentax Super Program with the following symptoms with fresh batteries installed:

- No display of anything on LCD (both in finder and on camera top plate)
- LCD backlight works
- Shutter seems to fire at same speed - even for Bulb and 125

The finder is clean and it feels like a real nice camera.

Would appreciate any advise on the possible problem.

Thanks in advance!
HWH

02-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wind on several times. The display defaults to what you are seeing with a shutter speed of 1/125s for the first several frames until the counter gets to zero. It does this every time the back is opened.

I was wrong...expected is 1/1000s displayed in the LCD.

Steve
02-21-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
HWH

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I read abt that and wound on and went through maybe 20-30 shots. Same results. The LCD does not show anything either.
02-21-2019, 11:41 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HWH Quote
Thanks for the reply. I read abt that and wound on and went through maybe 20-30 shots. Same results. The LCD does not show anything either.
Sorry for the poor advice. I wrote before refreshing my memory from the manual or getting my Super Program from the closet.

Am I correct that you see nothing in the viewfinder or top LCD displays regardless of mode or settings? If so, I can't think of anything that is an obvious fix. The camera may be serviceable, but would require a competent technician to say for sure.

Steve

02-22-2019, 12:10 AM   #5
HWH

Original Poster
Not poor advice, still appreciate your effort to help. Seems the problem is no small issue. Can't justify sending it to the repairman as I already have an LX and a MX, and didn't pay more than US$20 for it.
02-22-2019, 12:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In the normal working case, when the film is advanced/shutter is cocked, there will be a small black line in the upper right-hand corner of the LCD on the top of the camera. Are you seeing that?

A common failure case is a circuit board (?) failure, in which the internal and external displays do not turn on when you half-press the shutter release. But a workaround is to hold the silver button on the left-hand side of the lens mount -- this is for illuminating the viewfinder LCDs, but in this case it will also turn on the meter/displays. Does that do anything?
02-22-2019, 12:15 AM   #7
HWH

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
In the normal working case, when the film is advanced/shutter is cocked, there will be a small black line in the upper right-hand corner of the LCD on the top of the camera. Are you seeing that?

A common failure case is a circuit board (?) failure, in which the internal and external displays do not turn on when you half-press the shutter release. But a workaround is to hold the silver button on the left-hand side of the lens mount -- this is for illuminating the viewfinder LCDs, but in this case it will also turn on the meter/displays. Does that do anything?
Thank you for your reply. Holding the button lights up the orange bulb, but still no display in the LCD.
02-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for your reply. Holding the button lights up the orange bulb, but still no display in the LCD.
It sounds like an electronic issue, similar thing happened with my Super A.

Try cleaning the battery contact part in the camera body and battery cap. If no luck Eric may be able to resurrect the camera.

Eric fixed mine with a cleaning and it's been working fine since then.

Phil.

02-23-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
HWH

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
It sounds like an electronic issue, similar thing happened with my Super A.

Try cleaning the battery contact part in the camera body and battery cap. If no luck Eric may be able to resurrect the camera.

Eric fixed mine with a cleaning and it's been working fine since then.

Phil.
Thank you for your reply.

May I know what the charges from Eric? Thanks
02-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Eric Hendrickson, Pentax Camera Repair

You send him the camera and he responds with an estimate. If too high for you, he sends the camera back. I have used Eric for repair and regular maintenance and his rates are quite reasonable.

Steve
02-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for your reply.

Eric had done a CLA on my Super A within the year that it stopped working. He fixed the issue for free.

Phil.