Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2019, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Olive Oil and old cameras CAN mix.......

I picked up an old Chinon CE5 recently. Camera was stated as working (and it was) but its plastic body skins were not as good as I had hoped. The leatherette seemed to be suffering a tad and the plastic top and base were looking a lot worse for wear. Initially I used a small amount if IPA cut down with water and strangely it reacted really badly with the plastic - started taking the dye out off the plastic if you can believe that. Luckily I tested a small area first on the base of the camera. Could have been a disaster there.

Anyway I was looking for something too restore the plastic and give it a shine and also to restore its somewhat tatty leatherette. I did a fair amount of web reading and came across a tip that using olive oil can help restore plastic and heal UV damage. I was a bit sceptical but my mum used to have a great faith in olive oil for all kinds of things so thought I may as well give it a try.

The technique is USE SPARINGLY (like VERY sparingly). A tiny blob of Olive Oil on a paper kitchen towel. Rub onto the surface and massage in slowly. Leave the oil in place for about 5 minutes and then wipe clean with a lint free cloth. A light going over with a cloth dampened with some washing up liquid and water if the lint free dry cloth isn't getting a good effect. Hola - miracle of miracles it worked and the ancient Chinon came up looking really nice. The original faded plastic restored a bit but the leatherette came up like new. Obviously maximum care because you don't usually want oil anywhere near a camera but working slowly in sections with tiny amounts of the olive oil really did produce a good result.

Pic of the camera after the OO treatment here....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion...-caroline-.jpg

02-24-2019, 04:39 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice job. Hopefully that oil will not "migrate".
02-24-2019, 04:49 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting into the swing of the thread title, my first thought was that your initial cleaning attempt was with India Pale Ale
02-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I thought it was a cartoon character using a Pentax... 🤭

02-24-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Getting into the swing of the thread title, my first thought was that your initial cleaning attempt was with India Pale Ale
Me too...it took Google to convince me it might mean IsoPropyl Alcohol. FWIW, I use dish detergent (dilute) for external camera cleaning and resort to isopropanol only when the camera has tough tobacco varnish.

Steve
02-24-2019, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Wouldn't work for me, bottles of IPA around my place are always empty.
02-25-2019, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Wouldn't work for me, bottles of IPA around my place are always empty.
I've struggled with that phenomenon myself - someday I'm going to sit down and work out what's happening, but my head always seems to be a bit fuzzy when I notice the empty bottles.

02-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used a product called Venetian cream...a shoe polish actually...that I got from Micro-Tools many years ago. It's great on real leather covering...recolors those nics nicely and polishes nice to a nice shine...great on shoes too.