Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2019, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax K1000 and Summicron R50/2

Hello all.
Just to share this combination i'm trying today for the first time.
I've cleaned my K1000 ( never used by me until yesterday), and then i mounted a Summicron R50/2 that i have adapted to M mount.
It's not a converter between the lens and the camera but a metal piece ( with M mount) that you need to screw in the base of the lens after taking off the original one with Leica R mount ( i guess i've bought it on ebay from china, or in Leitax....i dont remember, it was done 7 years ago).

So, first time with the K1000 and first time with 35mm film after some years in a DSRL.
The K 1000 is really basic camera, but enough for my kind of photography, the only thing i miss is the diopter correction i had on the LX......

I've polished the K1000 body, with metal polish after a first cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, It was really bad.
The metal has lots of tiny scratches, so the polish "erase them" without loosing the opaque shining.

The lens is heavier and bulkier than a Pentax 50/1.7, and the convertion doesn't allow you the automatic diagragm when you shoot.
I mean, if you stop to f8 in the lens, you close the lens so the image is darker in the visor, as you was checking depht of field with other cameras.
This is no good, because you need to focus at f2 and then you close to your desired f number.....

Anyway, is an interesting combination, let's see how will be the results. I've found just 100 ISO color film ( i wanted trix or hpf....).

I'll post some results next days.

Sorry for my english.

Fabian

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
02-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm curious how well that works. I'm assuming thats not going to focus to infinity. Without optics, the K mount holds the lens a little under 2cm too far from the film plane (27.80mm vs 45.46mm)
02-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hello, interesting find.
When i focus at infinit in the finder the scale on the lens shows me 10 mts so the rear element is closer to the film with this new adaptation than the original mount.
Attached Images

02-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

But with the lens mounted, and the camera pointed in the distance at something far away, I’m guessing that distant object won’t appear in focus in the finder. The scale should also be inaccurate when mounted on the K1000 (It’s still possible to shoot distant objects, using a small aperture, and large depth of field.)

I apologize if you already know this, but the optics in the lens are designed to focus at a fixed point behind the lens for object distance (imagine a tiny, upside down representation of what is in front of the lens, reproduced behind the lens. As you move the optics forward and backward, that miniature intersects the film at a certain point and that point is the plane of focus.). Infinity is with the optics closest to film/sensor. So if you take a group of optics that were designed to mount 28mm from the film, and mount the 45mm from the film, you won’t be able to get the optics close enough to the film to bring infinity into focus.

This is why it is hard to properly mount lenses on cameras with a large FFD, but easier with a short FFD. So mirrorless lenses with a FFD of 20mm, can mount lots of classic lenses, but DSLRs with a FFD of 46mm, can’t. If my camera has a FFD of 20mm, and I mount a lens expecting a FFD of 46mm, all I need is a 26mm tube, with a mount on either end, but if the situation is reversed, my camera has a FFD of 46mm to mount a lens with FFD of 20mm I either need the lens to mount inside the flange by 26mm (impossible) or I need optics in the adapter to bend the light to focus at a further distance.

Last edited by abruzzi; 02-24-2019 at 10:21 AM.
02-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leica made R mount to M mount adapters, but I believe they were designed to be used on the Visoflex for M mount. With the Visoflex mounted to an M body, the total flange distance is around 41mm, so mounted to a K mount body the lens would focus past infinity.
02-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

So a little more looking and I was confused by the OPs description. This is an R mount lens, not an M mount lens, and he’s converting it to K mount. That is probably possible by changing the mount since R mount is 47mm and K mount is 45.46. I doubt it’s doable with an adapter since that’s barely 1.5 mm to build an adapter, but a mount change would be easily doable.
02-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
But with the lens mounted, and the camera pointed in the distance at something far away, I’m guessing that distant object won’t appear in focus in the finder. The scale should also be inaccurate when mounted on the K1000 (It’s still possible to shoot distant objects, using a small aperture, and large depth of field.)

I apologize if you already know this, but the optics in the lens are designed to focus at a fixed point behind the lens for object distance (imagine a tiny, upside down representation of what is in front of the lens, reproduced behind the lens. As you move the optics forward and backward, that miniature intersects the film at a certain point and that point is the plane of focus.). Infinity is with the optics closest to film/sensor. So if you take a group of optics that were designed to mount 28mm from the film, and mount the 45mm from the film, you won’t be able to get the optics close enough to the film to bring infinity into focus.

This is why it is hard to properly mount lenses on cameras with a large FFD, but easier with a short FFD. So mirrorless lenses with a FFD of 20mm, can mount lots of classic lenses, but DSLRs with a FFD of 46mm, can’t. If my camera has a FFD of 20mm, and I mount a lens expecting a FFD of 46mm, all I need is a 26mm tube, with a mount on either end, but if the situation is reversed, my camera has a FFD of 46mm to mount a lens with FFD of 20mm I either need the lens to mount inside the flange by 26mm (impossible) or I need optics in the adapter to bend the light to focus at a further distance.
Hi, thanks for your repply, i agree of course with you.

Sorry i made a mistake in my original post: i should say :

" I've cleaned my K1000 ( never used by me until yesterday), and then i mounted a Summicron R50/2 that i have adapted to "K" mount.

K mount, not M mount as i wrote.

So, making other test:

I'm foscusing in the finder an object at infinity, and in the barrel i'm in 10 mts.

If i turn the focus to the closest distance ( 50 cm marked in the barrel) and i move the camera to a subject to find the focus, the real distance from the film to the subject is 35 mm.

That situation, is far away from ideal, cause you cannot calculate the DOF, in the marks at the barrel, and not to work with Hyperfocal distance....
02-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Leitax has been making Pentax flange kits for Leica R lenses for years. I would have considered them to mount my R lenses on digital, but since the K1 wasn’t out yet and I wanted FF, I got an A7 and adapters instead. It worked so well I also prefer the A7 for my Pentax-M lenses as well.

03-12-2019, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Voila' a picture.
Film was kodak proimage 100. Developed in a fast lab with low res scan.
No too mutch tweaking, just levels.
it was fun. Now i want to shoot some B&W.

The second has an intentional flare, just to see how it behaves ( i dont like it).
Attached Images

03-13-2019, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’ve used the Summicron R since 1969 - on Leicaflex bodies. I have both the v1 & v2 versions - you have the v2.
They are excellent lenses in most respects - overall performance the best of SLR 50 mm lenses, depending on what criteria you judge by.
However, flare due to internal reflections is a tendency with light sources just outside the frame. This was worse on the v1, but can still happen on the later ones.
The Summicron R was one of the first lens designs to optimize micro contrast to film resolution, resulting in images with more snap.
The Leica R lenses do quite well on Digital bodies too, I use mine on an A7.
04-29-2019, 04:10 AM   #11

Sorry for the grave digging this post again, I have a plan want to do the same combo Pentax K1000 with Leica R lens. What am I reading from your experience is the lens conversion have an issue with close focusing and no infinity?
04-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timesyndicate Quote
Sorry for the grave digging this post again, I have a plan want to do the same combo Pentax K1000 with Leica R lens. What am I reading from your experience is the lens conversion have an issue with close focusing and no infinity?
Try Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax note no vesting interest
04-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Try Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax note no vesting interest
I see, so the newer version from Leitax fix the previous issue with close focusing and infinity.
04-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The original poster mistyped “Leica M mount” originally, which threw me off. The M mount lens has a short ffd, which can’t be adapted to Pentax without significant problems. Leica R lenses are much closer to the ffd of the Pentax K so the leitax adapter spaces the lens correctly.
04-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hi, cero problem with infinity or close focus on leica R lenses.
I donít remember where iíve bought the convertion mount. Maybe leitax.
Itís no tan asapter but a convertion mount. You need to unmount from the lens the leica bayonet mount and screw the pentax one.
Good luck and enjoy