Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2019, 08:58 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is a print I did tonight. Not the best shot but it's dark and 11 at night :P

Photo was taken with the Spotmatic SP and the Auto Tak 35mm f2.3 at anywhere between F8 and F11.

03-11-2019, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Here is a print I did tonight. Not the best shot but it's dark and 11 at night
Time in the darkroom has no time. I can't tell you how many sunny days I spent in the dark and how many late nights quitting at 3:00 am when I started hallucinating from exhaustion. Kudos on finishing something before midnight!
03-11-2019, 11:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
For me, one of the great joys of returning to film is getting back to basics and shooting all mechanical cameras with no batteries, built-in meter, etc. I started with Pentax back in 1965 with the H1a, much like a Spotmatic without a meter. I didnít use a light meter for some years - just learned to judge the light and subject tones when encountering a scene, set the camera, and then just compose and shoot without fretting about settings on each shot. Later added a hand-held meter to check my evaluation, but still didnít check every shot - just trusted my eye.
I shot mainly Tri-X for reportage work, so didnít worry about different ďISOĒ film speeds.
Color negative film today has enough latitude to still work this way. Think about finding a Pantax SV and simplify your experience. (Or, you an still buy an excellent new all mechanical camera. The Leica M-A is still in production for less than $5,000.)
Many of my cameras have no working light meter so sunny 16 (or often sunny 22 here) is the way to go. It doesn't take long to be able to calculate an exposure in this way. I bought an external light meter but I've used it only very rarely, when in situations where sunny 16 wasn't usable.