Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #1

Asahiflex Original Kit - Keep Together or Split Up?

Hi,

I have an Asahiflex Kit which I believe to be a working kit that has stayed together. I find such kits interesting because they shed light on a previous unknown owner and their photographic preferences, and also have some historical value as to what were considered the best combination of gear at a particular time.

I am considering selling my kit and wonder whether I should try to sell it as a kit, or split it up. What do collectors think about this? The kit includes a IIa body, a IIb parts body, variety of lenses, extension tubes, bellows, hoods, caps, cases, etc. All in pretty nice condition. The camera needs shutter work (slow speeds) and I can't get it done locally. The cost of repair is probably not worth it to me. You can find out more about the kit here: A Complete Asahiflex Kit | burnt embers

I am not really a collector, I like to use lots of different cameras and lenses and thus I buy them to use, not to collect. I don't really understand what collectors are interested in, hence this post. Even though I am not a collector per se, things have got out of hand in the owning department, so it's time to part with a few things.

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this matter.

03-11-2019, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it was a complete kit created by AOC and sold as a retail bundle (especially if you have the boxes), then it might have some collector value that is greater than the sum of the parts. It is was used by a known/famous photographer, then it might have some collector value that is greater than the sum of the parts. But if it is just some random photographer's random collection, then the kit doesn't have as much added value.

One issue with any kit or bundle is that even if it is worth more than the parts, it can take a lot longer to find a buyer. Most collectors or buyers are likely to have some of the items in the kit so those are seen as less-valuable duplicates to the collector. But somewhere there is probably a collector who would love this kit if only you could find them.

Good luck! (It looks like a very nice collection!)
03-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If it was a complete kit created by AOC and sold as a retail bundle (especially if you have the boxes), then it might have some collector value that is greater than the sum of the parts. It is was used by a known/famous photographer, then it might have some collector value that is greater than the sum of the parts. But if it is just some random photographer's random collection, then the kit doesn't have as much added value.

One issue with any kit or bundle is that even if it is worth more than the parts, it can take a lot longer to find a buyer. Most collectors or buyers are likely to have some of the items in the kit so those are seen as less-valuable duplicates to the collector. But somewhere there is probably a collector who would love this kit if only you could find them.

Good luck! (It looks like a very nice collection!)
Thanks for your thoughts. It is good to have them - I expect that this will be the consensus.
03-11-2019, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Split them up, you'll make more money. Some items may never sell though. The cameras don't usually bring much unless in excellent working condition, although yours looks very clean and has the leather case.. The lenses are normally what sells. Good luck!

03-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Split them up, you'll make more money. Some items may never sell though. The cameras don't usually bring much unless in excellent working condition, although yours looks very clean and has the leather case.. The lenses are normally what sells. Good luck!
Thanks Tom,

Sounds like the camera should go with the case? Rather than as a separate item?

What about selling the body alone, no lense?

The body is clean, but the shutter speeds are really slow. I considered getting a CLA including replacing the shutter (which is a bit wrinkly on one half) from the parts body which has a better shutter, but the quoted price seems like it is not worth it in these circumstances.
03-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera has value - all working Asahiflexes have value even though needing adjustment, which is assumed by collectors. It will be hard to find aAsahiflex collector who doesn’t already have a lla. I would sell the case with the camera unless it is in exquisite condition. The hoods with the fine cases are quite valuable, as are the lenses with the cases (in such good condition) and the caps individually. I should think you wouldn’t want to sell the caps separately from the lenses. The cases you might consider, but a collector will pay a premium for a lens, case, caps and hood together in the condition they appear to be.

I wouldn’t buy the entire collection except at a significant discount to the sum value of the individual items. As mentioned above, I did pay a premium for an Asahiflex and some lenses because they were sold by a well-known author and appeared in a book.
03-12-2019, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, keep the case with the camera, and caps, hoods, and cases with each lens.
03-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Yes, keep the case with the camera, and caps, hoods, and cases with each lens.
Thank you!

Next step is pricing. That is the tough part, especially for the Fujitar 35/2.5 for which there is next to no sales (or other) information under any of its guises. Especially with case and caps.

---------- Post added 03-12-19 at 10:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The camera has value - all working Asahiflexes have value even though needing adjustment, which is assumed by collectors. It will be hard to find aAsahiflex collector who doesn’t already have a lla. I would sell the case with the camera unless it is in exquisite condition. The hoods with the fine cases are quite valuable, as are the lenses with the cases (in such good condition) and the caps individually. I should think you wouldn’t want to sell the caps separately from the lenses. The cases you might consider, but a collector will pay a premium for a lens, case, caps and hood together in the condition they appear to be.

I wouldn’t buy the entire collection except at a significant discount to the sum value of the individual items. As mentioned above, I did pay a premium for an Asahiflex and some lenses because they were sold by a well-known author and appeared in a book.
Thanks for that information. It sounds a lot simpler to list the lenses with hoods/cases/etc - fewer listings is better. I am not sure exactly how to sell it yet. I've never sold anything on an auction site, and am not sure if it is better to determine a fixed value or let those that interested do that for me through a bidding process. Anyway, as I gather data I can sort out how best to go about it. Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated.

03-14-2019, 02:32 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a really nice kit, I sure want parts of it into my collection for sure. You can PM me of course.

You can always sell it via pentaxforums, you will reach a knowledgeable customer base, and you don't have to shell out to ebay for their fee and you can choose shipping methods etc. Price is hard, to figure out the right level, check out sold-prices and not the ebay dream-prices.
03-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
That is a really nice kit, I sure want parts of it into my collection for sure. You can PM me of course.

You can always sell it via pentaxforums, you will reach a knowledgeable customer base, and you don't have to shell out to ebay for their fee and you can choose shipping methods etc. Price is hard, to figure out the right level, check out sold-prices and not the ebay dream-prices.
I have been considering pentaxforums for sure - I get a lot from this place and its people, even if I don't participate very much. And ebay has so many landmines lurking.
You too can PM me .
Pricing is really the sticking point. Some things seem very consistent, others are all over the map.
Sold prices are hard to come by - any pointers on that front would be appreciated. I know I can find some values in the lens and camera databases on this site, but often they don't seem very helpful.