Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
You can click on that link to Rollei stuff if you like. But if you try to buy one, you just get the notification they're "sold out" and "no longer in production". Franke and Heidecke got auctioned off some years ago, and there's no real hope of new Rolleis being produced - at least until someone buys the rights to the name and launches a kickstarter program to get a Chinese made version into production at ten grand
i think the only rollei you will see is the film , chemistry and papers

03-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
You can click on that link to Rollei stuff if you like. But if you try to buy one, you just get the notification they're "sold out" and "no longer in production". Franke and Heidecke got auctioned off some years ago, and there's no real hope of new Rolleis being produced - at least until someone buys the rights to the name and launches a kickstarter program to get a Chinese made version into production at ten grand
So true...I did not click through to the product detail pages for the TLR

The TLRs have not been made since 2015 when DHW-Fototechnik went into liquidation bankruptcy. That being said, the fate of the Rolleiflex Hy6 SLR (film or digital) is less clear. As recently as May 2018, the camera was available for purchase in limited quantities and is reportedly being produced by DW-Photo GMBH, Braunschweig in the former Rollei plant. By all reports DW-Photo is a very small operation with very limited production capacity. This is quite sad, since the Hy6 was (is?) an amazing piece of kit. So much for the current state of film camera production.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-14-2019 at 10:40 AM.
03-14-2019, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

You know having taken apart a few SLRs recently I have been gobsmacked at how many bits are inside....when I was buying this stuff new and shooting I never really considered what was inside making it work. Never had to take one to bits because I never had one fail aprt from user induced errors eg dropping one on the floor, dropping one into a harbour etc.

Looking inside them recently I am amazed anyone could make a profit on them in the day. 300+ parts, mostly hand assembled, the QC checks alone would take serious time...its amazing how anyone could turn a profit at the price they were selling at. OK Nikon could, same amount of parts but double the price thanks to better quality components but looking at the guts of Pentax and Olympus I have to wonder how they ever made any money.
03-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
Well you learn something every day I didnt think company made a film camera these days
Indeed, Leica released the all-new 35mm M-A as recently as 2014.

03-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Indeed, Leica released the all-new 35mm M-A as recently as 2014.
the leica crowd will buy to collect at high prices so it is a viable thing

03-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the leica crowd will buy to collect at high prices so it is a viable thing
While that's true of some Leicas (notably the 'special editions' they release regularly at insane prices), I don't think it is the case with the M-A.

It's a mass production item available from anywhere that sells Leica, and while all Leica M's are expensive, the mass produced models rarely attract collector interest. I've been following the M-A closely since release and from what I can gather the interest is primarily from shooters. Personally it's probably the only camera available today (film or digital) that I would happily spend 'serious' money on.
03-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The market for film SLRs essentially dried up in the mid-2000s.*

FWIW, Pentax continued active marketing and sales of film cameras for several years after the introduction of the *ist D in 2003 with the medium format 654NII being available as late as the current decade and the *ist film camera shadowing the market run of its digital cousin. The MZ-S and other MZ/ZX-series bodies were also long in the market, though I am not sure of discontinued dates.

Steve

* The subject is a little cloudy in that availability and demand has varied by market. Up until recently, both Nikon and Canon provided their flagship film SLRs as pro offerings. Nikon still offers the F6 for pros and the Cosina-made FM10 for the low end. It and other derivatives of the Cosina CT-1 Super continue to be available in various markets.
I managed to get a brand new MZ-S in Singapore in 2008 and was told it was sitting on display shelf since 2006. It was selling for USD$1,180.39 body only and since I knew the owner since the 1980s, I got it for USD$368.872. He had his tech guy clean away the melted rubber as it was seal in a wrap to prevent discolouration. It was the Titanium Silver version too. I still have the camera which had the mirror motor failure in 2012 and only got it repaired by NSB Tekunos in Japan last year. (A group of Ex-Pentax Engineers and Tech guys, who were let off by Hoya)

The FM10 by that time is no longer being sold but in the early 2010s the FM3A was being sold as a pro camera in Singapore for USD$1,106.61 body only.

03-14-2019, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
The FM10 by that time is no longer being sold
Perhaps not in Singapore, but Nikon USA still lists the FM10 as current product, though currently out of stock on their company Web store. BTW...2006 sounds about right for the MZ-S.

Steve
03-14-2019, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I wouldn't say Pentax got into the DSLR market late. However, Kodak chose a Nikon SLR body to pioneer a lot of the early DSLR development from Kodak. Canon was simply better funded and had more to lose if they didn't transition quickly, so they did.

Although film is not dead, the entire infrastructure of the consumer film industry simply collapsed because it was no longer profitable. That, plus a ton of unused used SLR cameras available, it is not profitable to keep any of their film cameras in production with a network for parts and repairs.

With that reality, I agree and wish someone would produce a film SLR classic with mounts compatible with modern or even legacy lenses. But the best we can hope for is improved 3D printing technology and a niche market for parts and repairs to keep our classics running.
There’s a repair / restore company in Texas = Abilene Camera Repair = that Hoover’s up old SLR’s, completely disassembles them and has a virtually inexhaustible supply of parts for the major legacy SLR’s.

Camera Repair, Film Camera Repair, Camera Repair 35mm, Camera Repair 35mm Classic, Camera Repair 35mm SLR, Camera, Repair, Restoration, Film, Maintance, Service, Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus, Pentax, Konica, Ricoh, Sears, Yashica

More obscure cameras like the cosmetically spotless Black ME-F that was just returned to me unrepairable are just SOL. That’s the market for 3-D printing. The Black ME-F will be a shelf Queen in my office. The working but user condition chrome version I also have will be a shooter with the AF35-70/2.8.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-14-2019 at 07:34 PM.
03-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #40
Veteran Member

While that's true of some Leicas (notably the 'special editions' they release regularly at insane prices), I don't think it is the case with the M-A.
While they're not selling many of those to collectors, Leica's exist in a rarefied world where people are willing to pay $4500+ for a minimalist body. Whether its worth it or not, the ability to sell at that price makes it viable. Most people who buy Pentax cameras that say they wish Pentax would bring out a film SLR again, are probably not thinking about a $4000+ camera. Even if it was a LX, you're not going to sell enough at that price to make it viable. For a long time Leica was a high end brand. Pentax has generally been a midrange brand.
03-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
While they're not selling many of those to collectors, Leica's exist in a rarefied world where people are willing to pay $4500+ for a minimalist body. Whether its worth it or not, the ability to sell at that price makes it viable. Most people who buy Pentax cameras that say they wish Pentax would bring out a film SLR again, are probably not thinking about a $4000+ camera. Even if it was a LX, you're not going to sell enough at that price to make it viable. For a long time Leica was a high end brand. Pentax has generally been a midrange brand.
Yep don't disagree with any of that. I was just disputing that the M-A was/is being bought up by collectors.
03-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep don't disagree with any of that. I was just disputing that the M-A was/is being bought up by collectors.
Right, the Leica forum shows a lot are using their M-As and asking questions, etc. Top condition used M4 (like mine that I bought in 1968) can still sell for $1500 or so, so that’s the competition for the M-A, but for people who have wanted a Leica for years, the M-A is an unexpected last chance to buy a new “classic” Leica.
I’d be tempted myself, but I’ve accumulated M2,3,4,5 & 6, and kept them all in very good working condition. Having used these for 50 years, they’re my favorite “users” - and probably better built than the M-A.
The most modern film camera I bought was a Zeiss Ikon ZM, introduced in 2004. It is a great shooter in the Leica M tradition, and uses the Leica M mount. In some ways better than the Leica M models, and sold for less; but the market wanted the Leica name.
03-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know if any of you are following the Reflex kickstarter, but like most kickstarter startups it hasn't met any of it's goals...

They are well along in development of their 40mm lens, but not well along in the development of the camera that was supposed to ship in 2018. In January of this year they announced that they have to develop their own shutter...The lens might start shipping in May for $299 or so.The kickstarter page mention lots of other vaporware they are planning, like a desktop automatic film processor...
03-15-2019, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The most modern film camera I bought was a Zeiss Ikon ZM, introduced in 2004. It is a great shooter in the Leica M tradition, and uses the Leica M mount. In some ways better than the Leica M models, and sold for less; but the market wanted the Leica name.
I still kick myself for not buying an Ikon ZM when they were on closeout at B&H as a Biogon 35/2 kit. The price was only a few hundred over the cost of the lens alone. Alas, I must content myself with my Bessa R3M...

Steve
03-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't know if any of you are following the Reflex kickstarter, but like most kickstarter startups it hasn't met any of it's goals...
I did at first, but once I realized the camera's clunky (dumb) design, my interest declined to near zero, as in show it to me when/if it becomes real.

Steve