Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PZ-1p Battery Issue?

I’ve run a couple of batteries through my PZ-1p. When I press the shutter, it makes a whirring sound and indicates a low battery, even with a new battery. If I powercycle it, I can change as many menu settings or exposure settings or even rewind the film in the camera without issue. Any ideas? Is my poor camera dead? I’ve been bit by this on two occasions (the first I believed the battery was just dead), so I'll definitely be using a test shot in the future.

03-14-2019, 02:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mine did that... and eventually that's all it would do... I gave it away for parts...
But make sure the battery is good. I have seen some 2CR5s that weren't very charged when I got them...

-Eric
03-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's possible that the battery is marginal and when called on to activate the shutter just can't make it, but it could be a shutter motor issue. Like TwoUptons suggested, make sure the battery is a new and reliable one. Any chance this is a low temperature issue? Low temperatures sap Li batteries like the CR5s and if the battery is marginal, cold will make it worse. Not sure what you mean by "powercycle it"??
03-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
It's possible that the battery is marginal and when called on to activate the shutter just can't make it, but it could be a shutter motor issue. Like TwoUptons suggested, make sure the battery is a new and reliable one. Any chance this is a low temperature issue? Low temperatures sap Li batteries like the CR5s and if the battery is marginal, cold will make it worse. Not sure what you mean by "powercycle it"??
I’ll try it again when I get home. It was in the 70s yesterday so it should be fine, and I warmed it up in my hand when it gave me issues.

Powercycle - turn the camera off and on again

03-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #5

Check the contacts in the compartment, and clean them well. Use a pencil erase, or a fiberglass pen to clean them. Sometimes the contacts can have a clear coating on them preventing good contact.

If you have the right type of test meter, you can test the batteries under load.
03-15-2019, 07:04 AM   #6

You may have found the same issue as te Minolta 7000 i was given some time ago. It does work perfectly without film but when film is loaded, after transporting a few frames (between 2 and 4) it blocks. It seems like the motor doesn't have enough power anymore. The cause in my Minolta may very wel be hardend lubrification, dust and sand in the gears or both but i have no idea how to open and clean it and then reassemble it.