Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2019, 02:49 AM   #1

Pentax K1000 Wire Replacement

Hi guys, I have just bought a Pentax K1000 with a broken light meter. I thought I'd try my hand at fixing it.

I removed the bottom panel and found that the black wire attached to the battery housing had corroded and become detached. I have tried to strip the wire a few times to re-solder it but was unsuccessful because of how small and fragile it is (and my lack of skills) so there is not much wire left now.

I was wondering if it would be possible to open the camera up and replace the black wire for a new one. I am just concerned about damaging the mirrors etc! I've never disassembled a camera before.

Do you think this would be possible without damaging the camera?

03-14-2019, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes. I would suggest finding a diagram that will show you where the wire is attached on the other end. You may find a disassembly video on Youtube that will allow you to see how the wire is routed through the body. If it is a straight shot with no significant bends, you may find that you can just remove the top cover, secure the new wire to the old wire and pull it through so you won't have to do any further assembly.
03-14-2019, 06:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks ctrout that's a good idea to try and pull the wire through i'll give that a shot first
03-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would advise taking your K1000 to someone who has had them apart before, and has the right tools for the job.

To get good access to the wire, at least to splice a new piece onto it to connect to the battery terminal, I would remove the front plate of the camera, then lift out the mirror box. It's not crazy difficult if you're familiar with the K1000/Spotmatic layout, and all the mechanisms you have to unhook, and re-attach later.

But if you've never taken a camera apart before, this isn't the place to start. It's a bigger job than you think ... and there's nothing worse for repair technician than the guy who brings in a shoebox with loose parts and screws and things removed that didn't need to be. I've turned away such jobs before.

03-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #5

You can download a service manual from here:
Pentax service manuals - Mark Roberts Photography

It should have disassembly instructions an perhaps even a wiring diagram. There is another version of a service manual for download. I'll leave up to you to use a search engine to find it.
03-14-2019, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
Is there enough wire left showing to tin the end, solder a length of similar-size wire and sleeve the joint with silicone sleeving?
03-15-2019, 02:37 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell W. Barnes Quote
Is there enough wire left showing to tin the end, solder a length of similar-size wire and sleeve the joint with silicone sleeving?
Yeah I'm going to give that a go first and see if that works, I reckon there probably is still enough

03-15-2019, 02:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can download a service manual from here:
Pentax service manuals - Mark Roberts Photography

It should have disassembly instructions an perhaps even a wiring diagram. There is another version of a service manual for download. I'll leave up to you to use a search engine to find it.
That's brilliant I'll have a look through that thanks for the help
03-15-2019, 02:39 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I would advise taking your K1000 to someone who has had them apart before, and has the right tools for the job.

To get good access to the wire, at least to splice a new piece onto it to connect to the battery terminal, I would remove the front plate of the camera, then lift out the mirror box. It's not crazy difficult if you're familiar with the K1000/Spotmatic layout, and all the mechanisms you have to unhook, and re-attach later.

But if you've never taken a camera apart before, this isn't the place to start. It's a bigger job than you think ... and there's nothing worse for repair technician than the guy who brings in a shoebox with loose parts and screws and things removed that didn't need to be. I've turned away such jobs before.
That's great to know and yeah I haven't taken a camera apart before but I have to with all sorts in my job so I'll give that a go if I can't solder a new wire onto the existing. Thanks for the advice