Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockaway Beach NYC
Posts: 5,860
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Reading this thread, you could come to the conclusion..."No chimping=no pictures."

I didn't read anything like that. I must be reading a different thread...

Chris

03-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,037
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I didn't read anything like that. I must be reading a different thread...

Chris
Why? Do you see some pictures in the thread?
It's all talk.

I have many film cameras, 120, 645, three 35mm. It's not like I'm opposed to film cameras. I am pretty opposed to actually using them however. So, all I'm interested in is what results can I expect from this process that would different than what I do now, which is a whole lot of chimping.

Just trying to distinguish between "stuck in the past" and "on to something."

Last edited by normhead; 03-18-2019 at 08:06 AM.
03-18-2019, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 733
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Why? Do you see some pictures in the thread?
It's all talk.
Itís a discussion thread about process, not a photo thread. But if you want an unchimped photo, here is ektar 100:



And unchimped portra 400:



Iím very satisfied with the process.
03-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #19
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,037
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
It’s a discussion thread about process, not a photo thread. But if you want an unchimped photo, here is ektar 100:



And unchimped portra 400:



I’m very satisfied with the process.
Awesome.... I have to admit, it inspires me to give my 645 another shot.

They definitely have a distinct "not digital" look.

03-18-2019, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 733
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have many film cameras, 120, 645, three 35mm. It's not like I'm opposed to film cameras. I am pretty opposed to actually using them however. So, all I'm interested in is what results can I expect from this process that would different than what I do now, which is a whole lot of chimping.

Just trying to distinguish between "stuck in the past" and "on to something."
Then why are you reading and posting in a film photography forum?

I don't know about others, but for me its not about results, its about process. For me digital photography is boring to do, and film photography is fun to do. On a lark I bought a Pentax SuperProgram a little over a year ago, and I had so much fun with it that I bought a Pentax 67, and a Bronica ETRSi, a Kodak Retina IIIC, a Pentax MX, a Nikon F2, a Nikon FA, a Nikon FM2n, a Pentax MZ-S, and a few misc small cameras like an Olympus XA and Canon QL17. And the funny thing for me--it wasn't gradual. From the day I received the SuperProgram, I haven't shot a single digital picture, because it is so much more fun to shoot film. The K3ii is now permanently demoted to digitizing duty.

EDIT: I should add--I totally get why most people shoot digital, it has a lot of benefits, but in the end I'm talking about what I enjoy.
03-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #21
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,037
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Then why are you reading and posting in a film photography forum?

I don't know about others, but for me its not about results, its about process. For me digital photography is boring to do, and film photography is fun to do. On a lark I bought a Pentax SuperProgram a little over a year ago, and I had so much fun with it that I bought a Pentax 67, and a Bronica ETRSi, a Kodak Retina IIIC, a Pentax MX, a Nikon F2, a Nikon FA, a Nikon FM2n, a Pentax MZ-S, and a few misc small cameras like an Olympus XA and Canon QL17. And the funny thing for me--it wasn't gradual. From the day I received the SuperProgram, I haven't shot a single digital picture, because it is so much more fun to shoot film. The K3ii is now permanently demoted to digitizing duty.

EDIT: I should add--I totally get why most people shoot digital, it has a lot of benefits, but in the end I'm talking about what I enjoy.
Read the above, I'm always looking for new sources of inspiration. But for me the question is always going to be about the finished product. If I like what I get in the end, the process to me is pretty much irrelevant. I'll do whatever it takes, if I'm inspired by the finished product.
03-18-2019, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 733
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Read the above, I'm always looking for new sources of inspiration. But for me the question is always going to be about the finished product. If I like what I get in the end, the process to me is pretty much irrelevant. I'll do whatever it takes, if I'm inspired by the finished product.
Results can be somewhat different with film, but I donít think itís that irreplaceable. There are applications that you can use to replicate much of the film look. I canít say theyíre 100%, but if you find the process of using film tedious, I donít think youíll gain that much that you canít easily replicate with a few plugins.

There are some oddities like older medium format folding camera lenses can have a very unique rendering that is hard to duplicate, but since it is so easy to use old 35mm film lenses on a modern Pentax digital, any lens benefits of say an 8-element Takumar 50/1.4 are probably easier to get by sticking it on a K-1.

I only recommend shooting film to someone that wants to shoot film. There are too many obstacles that need be dealt with that arenít there with digital.
03-18-2019, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ryanM's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: KY
Posts: 67
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Read the above, I'm always looking for new sources of inspiration. But for me the question is always going to be about the finished product. If I like what I get in the end, the process to me is pretty much irrelevant. I'll do whatever it takes, if I'm inspired by the finished product.
For me it is as much about the process as the final image. Photography is a hobby for me, and if the process isn't enjoyable I wouldn't do it.

03-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #24
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,037
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Results can be somewhat different with film, but I donít think itís that irreplaceable. There are applications that you can use to replicate much of the film look. I canít say theyíre 100%, but if you find the process of using film tedious, I donít think youíll gain that much that you canít easily replicate with a few plugins.

There are some oddities like older medium format folding camera lenses can have a very unique rendering that is hard to duplicate, but since it is so easy to use old 35mm film lenses on a modern Pentax digital, any lens benefits of say an 8-element Takumar 50/1.4 are probably easier to get by sticking it on a K-1.

I only recommend shooting film to someone that wants to shoot film. There are too many obstacles that need be dealt with that arenít there with digital.
Whcich leads t my film issue. No available local processing. By local meaning, within 150 miles or 200 KM.
03-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 733
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Whcich leads t my film issue. No available local processing. By local meaning, within 150 miles or 200 KM.
Same here. My first few roll were sent out, but now I develop B&W at home, and I have done experimental color at home. (When I shoot irreplacable travel shots like the first one, I mail out for developing and scanning. When I’m just dicking around, like the second shot, I develop at home.).
03-18-2019, 05:27 PM   #26
Pentaxian
johnha's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancashire, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 630
I was always a film shooter (35mm and 120), arriving late into digital, I still prefer film but find it easier to print from digital by pinging a file over the web. I can scan 35mm (with patience) but not 120. I have processed B&W at home but it (and colour) now goes to a lab for developing and (low res) scanning. I prefer the process of film - the ritual of loading a new roll seems to 'reset' my thought process - pause, consider which emulsion to use next, load, check etc. (when I'm rarely shooting action packed stuff I'd use digital). Sometimes I'll shoot film just to use a particular camera, format or lens.

When I chimp, I'm rarely happy with the shot, there's always something that could be better or different, sometimes I can get closer/better but rarely nail the shot I'm after. I'm not a pro and do it for fun and enjoyment, I can pick my media and equipment (each camera is a different experience) to suit my mood. When seeing a film for the first time, I often initially curse something I should have done differently or better. Sometimes it's a howler but otherwise there were reasons for it not evident in the image captured on film (the litter bin that was in the way, a bystander I didn't want in the frame etc.).
03-22-2019, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #27
Senior Member
Astro-Baby's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Reigate, Surrey
Posts: 130
Original Poster
For me I found digital has its advantages but I agree its often boring.....I find I end up staring at a PC as I look theough endless pics which all tequire a massive amount of post process because digital has allowed me to get lazy and not get the pic right from the first. Its just too easy to point and shoot everything in auto.

I have found a real enjoyment, despite the mishaps, in going back to my roots with film.
03-23-2019, 06:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,743
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Whcich leads t my film issue. No available local processing. By local meaning, within 150 miles or 200 KM.
Iíve never sent my film to be processed by someone else. Itís simple enough to do at home, B&W or C-41. If someone decides that the process to develop film by either mailing it off, or doing it themselves is too much effort... well, they certainly wouldnít be alone in the thought. Digital is the standard for many good reasons.
03-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #29
Pentaxian
redrockcoulee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 2,192
When I had a MZ5N and a K-r my problem was adjusting the shutter speeds in the K-r with the shutter dial which was really the mode dial. Lots of lower shutter speeds ended up being movies instead.

Most of my film work is MF or LF hence little thought about chimping. Have done it on the MZ though. My wife who hardly shoots film has her screen set for no instant display so no problems when she does shoot film. I wished there was a way to chimp my K1000 as my eyes are getting too old for the viewfinder

---------- Post added 03-25-19 at 01:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Whcich leads t my film issue. No available local processing. By local meaning, within 150 miles or 200 KM.
My Facebook friend in Germany uses Canadian Film Labs in Germany. In Medicine Hat we have two places for C41. ONE OF THEM REFERS b&W customers to call me.
03-25-2019, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockaway Beach NYC
Posts: 5,860
Kodak made a camera that allowed film users to chimp!



Review here:
http://quirkyguywithacamera.blogspot.com/2018/07/digitalesque-kodak-advantix-preview.html

Chris
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ae-1, auto, film, focus, germany, journey, k-r, meter, shot, shutter, shutter speeds, speeds, yep
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Needed: Effective Chimping DavidSKAF3 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 25 12-17-2013 07:08 PM
Chimping? tuggie76 Pentax K-30 & K-50 19 06-20-2013 01:35 PM
Chimping vs. living as photojournalist beholder3 Photographic Industry and Professionals 4 01-07-2013 07:00 AM
why is chimping considered bad? acrollet Photographic Technique 75 03-03-2011 07:23 PM
hood for viewing/chimping? janosh Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 09-04-2008 09:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top