Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was actually showing a friend some tips on photography when he first got his digital canon, which was his first camera. I was telling him I still shot film primarily and he asked me how I knew what I was getting if I couldn't review it right then. I just told him it was all part of the experience.

03-25-2019, 04:29 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ryanM Quote
I was actually showing a friend some tips on photography when he first got his digital canon, which was his first camera. I was telling him I still shot film primarily and he asked me how I knew what I was getting if I couldn't review it right then. I just told him it was all part of the experience.
It is one of the few things you can do in life and truly experience a throwback moment--to take photos in the same or similar manner as they did 80 years ago. That's a unique opportunity.
03-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #33

Original Poster
I find it hard to teach people photography with a digital - they tend to look at you and say 'why bother - just let the camera do it'. One of the things that really put me off digital in a big way was the way early digitals didn't keep to the standard speeds and apertures. I know the digital camera isn't REALLY doing 250th at F4 but could they not have just adapted a bit to give you a simulated 250th at F4 rather than forcing me to get to grips with a speed of 9 with an aperture index of 24.7 !!!! I exaggerate but only a bit - a lot of the early digitals used literal f stops and focal lengths rather than what was a 35m equivalent. On top of that the early digitals tended to be very 'off' at times with respect to white balance, metering etc and as I was working pro at the time in theory I could review the pics (albeit on some tiny LCD) but in practice I had to operate on an assembly line basis of shoot, shoot, shoot and then sort out the good the bad and the ugly on a computer later - early chimping really but product photography often is to an extent especially when you have 300 pairs of shoes to photograph before close of play.

With that said I am now finding a balance going back to film which I have lost with digital. Already I am finding an enjoyment in actually taking the picture rather than it seeming a chore which was what 15+ years of pro photography had done for me plus the digital hit. The first few times out with my bonkers Zorki 4 rangefinder I found it really awkward - get the light meter out, take a reading, dial in the numbers to the camera, check focus, bloody hell its gone cloudy now, have to check the light again, yep its fine - now where was I ? Oh yes check the focus, frame the picture, forgot to wind on, f11 looks a bit tight - lets look at the meter again, CLICK - aargh dammit accidentally pushed the shutter button - okies start from the top - repeat ad infinitum and I did start to get a bit frustrated. BUT after a few goes I have gotten back into the swing of it again. Still making mistakes - its amazing what your forget when you have been mostly working in a studio and/or being absorbed into the Borg digital world. One of the tough things I have had to relearn is judging the light - yes I know about Sunny 16 but you have to have an eye for whats happening and I have found my 'eye' has gone thanks to studio work and digitals so I find myself constantly rechecking the meter as I tend to doubt my judgement.

But with all the problems, skinned knuckles and I have found I am actually enjoying getting the pic - something thats been lost to me for a very long time.

Last edited by Astro-Baby; 03-28-2019 at 11:21 AM.
03-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #34
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I think I said the opposite...watching some people chimp every photo means that they are in all likelihood, missing other opportunities while gazing and/or admiring their handiwork...I will only look at any of the photos after I am satisfied with the sequence of pictures taken. I rarely miss the photo op, though I can''t say all of those are 'keepers'....
My personal experience, and yes I've shot film in the past year, is that I'm more likely to miss something when I'm shooting film, because I'll take three, or four, or five, or six shots of a single scene {manually bracketing with a camera lacking motor drive} because thirty years of shooting slide film leaves me not quite trusting camera metering. Meanwhile, I won't notice anything happening anywhere else. With digital, a quick glance at the screen assures me the metering is close, and I move on.

03-28-2019, 11:48 AM   #35
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
I find it hard to teach people photography with a digital - they tend to look at you and say 'why bother - just let the camera do it'. One of the things that really put me off digital in a big way was the way early digitals didn't keep to the standard speeds and apertures. I know the digital camera isn't REALLY doing 250th at F4 but could they not have just adapted a bit to give you a simulated 250th at F4 rather than forcing me to get to grips with a speed of 9 with an aperture index of 24.7 !!!! I exaggerate but only a bit - a lot of the early digitals used literal f stops and focal lengths rather than what was a 35m equivalent.
What camera are you using today?? When I took a photo this morning with my KP, I set the shutter speed to 1/750 and the aperture to f/8.0; as far as I know, those are literally the values it used - certainly no "35mm equiv" or 'odd' values.

Last edited by reh321; 03-28-2019 at 11:57 AM.
03-28-2019, 02:04 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What camera are you using today?? When I took a photo this morning with my KP, I set the shutter speed to 1/750 and the aperture to f/8.0; as far as I know, those are literally the values it used - certainly no "35mm equiv" or 'odd' values.
Used the K1 this morning; Graflex 35A this afternoon...

But doesnít exif show 35mm equivalent focal length for lenses?
I know Iíve seen it. Maybe itís an optional field...

-Eric
03-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Used the K1 this morning; Graflex 35A this afternoon...

But doesnít exif show 35mm equivalent focal length for lenses?
I know Iíve seen it. Maybe itís an optional field...

-Eric
On the K-1 the 35mm equivalent will be the stated number. On an APS-c, 4/3rds or APS-h (1.3 factor), the 35mm equivalent will be shown in the EXIF data. But I agree with REH, the shutter speeds and the f/stops are genuine and accurate.