Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

AF-C on the PZ-1

So I was photographing a train pulling into the station with my PZ-1 today, and I put it on AF-C. When the train is moving towards me, it looked in focus in the focusing screen, but the camera is constantly making minute adjustments, as judged by buzzing sound made by the lens. I do not remember hearing an AF beep or seeing the focus confirm lamp light, but shutter was released. Does this mean the camera failed to lock on to a target or it is normal for tracking moving subject? It was slightly backlit and the lense used was Sigma UC 28-70 f2.8-4.

Sincerely

03-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In AF-C mode, focus does not need to be confirmed for the shutter to release. That is for AF-S only (at least on legacy bodies) AFAIK.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In AF-C mode, focus does not need to be confirmed for the shutter to release. That is for AF-S only (at least on legacy bodies) AFAIK.
So the camera can be continously tracking the target, but does not indicate a focus lock since it is moving towards me?

Sincerely
03-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
So the camera can be continously tracking the target, but does not indicate a focus lock since it is moving towards me?
Focus lock is disabled in AF-C (servo) mode on the Z-1/PZ-1. The shutter can be operated at any time, the subject does not have to be in focus.

03-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Focus lock is disabled in AF-C (servo) mode on the Z-1/PZ-1. The shutter can be operated at any time, the subject does not have to be in focus.
So IIRC, the best thing I can do is to try to take as many shots as I can and select the ones that are the sharpest afterwards?

Sincerely

03-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
So IIRC, the best thing I can do is to try to take as many shots as I can and select the ones that are the sharpest afterwards?

Sincerely
Spray and pray...

Steve
03-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In AF-C the Z-1 is supposed to use predictive focussing '90s style - working out how fast the subject is moving and focussing so it will be in focus when the mirror lifts and the exposure happens. My biggest problem was AF hunting (Sigma APO 70-300) so that the 'finder image didn't stay in focus. I found it easier to use AF-S and simply hit the button as soon as it had focussed.