Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

SV advice and 'market of origin'

Hi all,

So my search for a pre-Spotmatic Pentax has finally born fruit (after a recent, highly traumatic classifieds miss on a black-paint S2 Super ) and I have a mint single-owner SV (red R) and assorted goodies on their way

In the meantime, can anyone suggest any tips, tricks and issues to watch for? Most of my Pentax experience is with the MX/LX. I have a Spotty F, but I've never even held a 'S' series... Is a SV much like a Spotmatic (sans electrics) with regard to reliability?

Also, is it possible to tell the camera's 'market of origin' from the body itself? It belonged to the seller's late father, and she wasn't sure if he purchased it new in Australia, or if a friend had bought it for him while on holiday in Japan. Is there any difference between SV's for the Australian and Japanese markets?

Thanks!

03-20-2019, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own both an SV and a couple Spotmatics. Here are a few talking points:
  • The SV has different mechanical construction than the Spotmatic, not better or worse, just different. That is apparent when handled and by shutter sound and wind-on feel.
  • Its handling is also different and in my opinion, better than the Spotmatic
  • The SV is a very quick and intuitive in actual use
  • I have no firm information regarding reliability except that my SV probably dates to about 1968 and was in rather poor shape when I took possession. Eric put it right and it shoots as smoothly as any camera on my shelf.
  • As for original sales market and any differences for the Australian market, your down-under Pentax mates might know something. One thing to keep in mind is that the SV was sold at the same time as the Spotmatic during most of its product life and was not down-market. When you see a member of the Beatles with a Pentax, it is the SV.
  • Be aware that there are small difference in the construction of the eyepiece frame such that accessories intended for the Spotmatic may not always fit as nicely as on that camera
  • A Spotmatic case will not fit an SV...the SV is not as tall and the wind lever won't clear
Enjoy your camera!

Steve
03-20-2019, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had four SVs and love them. Now down to just a red and a green model, both serviced. Eric replaced the curtains on the green one, so this may be a point of failure for you since the glue on the tapes dries out over the years. Also the sync speed is 1/50 rather than 1/60 but that should not matter in use. It is a lovely camera, and I have gone out and shot a roll, both indoors and out, using my "sunny 16" estimates and all 24 were good on exposure (K400). Total freedom.
03-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrats on the SV, Nick. I think you will like it.
I like to think of my SV as the SLR counterpart to my M2.
I think it's the most perfectly proportioned 35mm SLR that I've used.
My friend Gerry (GerryM from RFF) swears that the film advance on my SV is smoother than any Leica M he's ever used, including my recently acquired M2.
The first time I used an SV it took a bit to get used to the incredibly long single stroke advance. It isn't ratcheting so you need to make sure you advance all the way.
Coming from your MX, it might take you a bit to get used to the "sandy" focusing screen. I find I prefer it now.
I find that the 55/1.8 makes a better combo with the SV than the larger 50/1.4 which feels front heavy on the SV, but that's just me.
The sound of the mirror/shutter might sound odd to you at first. It has a very slight hollow metallic sound to it.

Good luck with it, and I hope it's working well.

03-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I like to think of my SV as the SLR counterpart to my M2.
That's what I was hoping, something simple and mechanical without any circuits.

QuoteQuote:
My friend Gerry (GerryM from RFF) swears that the film advance on my SV is smoother than any Leica M he's ever used, including my recently acquired M2.
Big call! We'll see

QuoteQuote:
Coming from your MX, it might take you a bit to get used to the "sandy" focusing screen. I find I prefer it now.
I also have a Spotmatic F (which admittedly probably needs a good clean), which is much grainier than my LX/MX. Is the VF and focussing screen comparable? I agree that the dimmer/grainier screens often make focussing easier. Similar issue with the really bright Hasselblad Acute Matte screens.

QuoteQuote:
I find that the 55/1.8 makes a better combo with the SV than the larger 50/1.4 which feels front heavy on the SV, but that's just me.
Interesting, a 55/f1.8 is coming with the SV and I have a SMC 50/f1.4 from the Spotty, so I'll be able to compare.
03-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My SV feels great and works great. I use it as my "light training" camera. I don't use it with a meter, instead I just guess the light. I love the uncluttered viewfinder with nothing to distract you. Just a simple microprism circle in the center. I also have a Spotmatic SP, which is a bit clunky to use due to the mechanism for stop-down metering. I also have a Spotmatic F which, if I can get the meter fixed, should remedy that since it allows open aperture metering with certain lenses.