Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2019, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’m sending Advance a mint black ME-F with a frozen shutter that Eric declined to repair, and a nice working 645 with bunged threads where you attach the eyecup to the viewfinder. I have a replacement viewfinder assembly. Eric doesn’t work on 645’s.

I’ll report on my experience.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-01-2019 at 12:50 PM.
03-28-2019, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi All,

f16 at Margate , Brisbane does repairs to all cameras and lens

If you Google f16, his web page will come up.

Regards,
Gordon.
Just an update. I’ve spoken with Alan at F16 and I’ll be sending an SV and two takumars for a service. I’ll report back here on how it goes. He also commented that he can fabricate SV shutter curtains.
03-29-2019, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m sending Advamce a mint black ME-F with a frozen shutter that Eric declined to repair
Good stuff! My ME-F is in Winnipeg waiting for a CLA. I was quoted $115CDN ($84USD) for the work by Computech Camera Repair. They send you a quote and you approve/reject it and then pay when the work is done. There is a $10CDN fee for rejected quotes.

Phil.
03-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Good stuff! My ME-F is in Winnipeg waiting for a CLA. I was quoted $115CDN ($84USD) for the work by Computech Camera Repair. They send you a quote and you approve/reject it and then pay when the work is done. There is a $10CDN fee for rejected quotes.

Phil.
Thanks. Guideline for me.

03-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Also need to add MWCameraRepairs

Did sterling work on another OM1 and handles Pentax and other makes.
04-01-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Advance Camera Repair Department conversation

I spoke with the Admin Manager of the Repair Department at Advance Camera. Theses are their terms and the process:
Send your cameras. Include a note with issues, your mailing address, email address and telephones. They will diagnose and quote a repair estimate by email. You will pay return shipping if estimate is declined. 4-6 weeks turnaround is normal. 6 month warranty.

Here are their price ranges for a standard CLA for the cameras I’m sending:

SV = $140-$165 (shutter hangs intermittently)
K = $140-$165 (very slow shutter on Slow speeds)
ME-F $140-$165 (mirror will not return)
645 = Quote (replace Viewfinder assembly - I have the parts).

They were extremely pleasant and delighted to hear from me.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m sending Advance a mint black ME-F with a frozen shutter that Eric declined to repair, and a nice working 645 with bunged threads where you attach the eyecup to the viewfinder. I have a replacement viewfinder assembly. Eric doesn’t work on 645’s.

I’ll report on my experience.
04-02-2019, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
***UPDATE***

Received an email from Computech yesterday indication my ME-F & P50 are ready. I called them to pay with my CC and the cameras are on the way back to me.

Will update after I get them back and test. So far so good.

Phil.

04-05-2019, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got my P50 & ME-F back yesterday from Computech Camera Repairs.

The P50's broken film rewind/back door release knob shaft has been repaired. Looks good and that repair cost $75.00CDN ($55USD)

The ME-F had a CLA,and that cost $115.00CDN ($84USD)

There was a bit of tax on both and shipping back to YVR. So the grand total was $225.75CDN. ($165USD)

Will test both to make sure all is well.

So far I'm happy with their service and it's nice to have the transaction done in Canadian dollars. Also no customs issues to deal with.

Computech is a good option for Canadians.

Phil.
04-05-2019, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Anyone recommend a place in the US that repairs M42 screwmount camera's?
I have a Sears TLS (rebadged Ricoh Singlex TLS) I plan to CLA down the road when I have the money, just dont where to start looking that isnt too expensive.
01-19-2020, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Hi All,

Regards,
Gordon.
Following up on this for posterity.

I've just received back two SV's from F16 Camera Service.

Alan ended up replacing the shutter curtains in both, as well as completing a regular CLA. Cost was $145AUD each. It's took a while (I think Alan was waiting on a sheet of the shutter curtain material) but I'm more than happy with the outcome. Also really good to know that there are techs out there than can still manufacture parts for these older cameras (for an acceptable price too).

So, a good option to keep in mind if you want to keep your old cloth focal-plane body on the road
01-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi All,

Regards,
Gordon.
g'day Gordon
(and also nickthetasmaniac).

I was wondering if you guys (or any other Aussies here), has any experience with Nagami Cameras in Melbourne.

Also good to know about f16 in Brisbane.

I've got a couple of old AF lenses that need cleaning up, but not sure which might ok to handle AF lenses.

Nagami Cam's website >>

Nagami Camera Service
01-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
g'day Gordon
(and also nickthetasmaniac).

I was wondering if you guys (or any other Aussies here), has any experience with Nagami Cameras in Melbourne.

Also good to know about f16 in Brisbane.

I've got a couple of old AF lenses that need cleaning up, but not sure which might ok to handle AF lenses.

Nagami Cam's website >>

Nagami Camera Service
I just had Yoshi at Nagami repair and service an Olympus OM1n and a couple of Zuiko lenses. He did a very good job, but I don’t have any experience getting AF lenses serviced...
01-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #28

Just noticed this thread while searching for something else, and wanted to mention Pierro Pozella at PPP Repairs.

In Instagram circles he's very very highly recommended across all marques and models.

I've not used him yet - so this is not a personal recommendation - but I will be sending a P30T to him very soon.
01-30-2020, 11:13 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
. . . General criteria for recommendation here should include:
  • Firsthand experience with successful Pentax camera repair
he warns you to keep in touch with him as he tends to work on what is needed first, not what has been given to him first -
QuoteQuote:
Request Quick Time
Each customer and their equipment should be treated with care and consideration. Unlike most repair shops that process repairs in a chronological order, at Phototronic equipment is repaired on an as needed basis, thus avoiding completed equipment sitting on the shelf waiting to be picked up, while needed equipment goes un-repaired
QuoteQuote:
  • Reasonable rates including evaluation and shipping fees
  • extremely happy with the cost of repair
    QuoteQuote:
    Free Estimates
    Classic and Vintage Camera Repair, Digital Camera Repair, Lens Repair,
    also Repairing -- Camcorders and all eras of Photographic Equipment and Vintage Audio Visual Equipment
    QuoteQuote:
  • Formal training with focus on Pentax product is a plus. Apprentice under a master is even better!
  • I don't believe he has this
    QuoteQuote:
    Suggestions for resources outside the United States will be celebrated and graciously received.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-30-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    01-30-2020, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #30
    Site Supporter
    Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
    I want to second aslyfox's recommendation of Phototronic in Topeka. I went there a few times to drop off and pick up a couple film cameras. All I can add is that as of 2019 the guy (I can't remember his name, and it's a one-man operation) charges a minimum of one hour's time to do repair/eval/etc work. At the time he was charging $67 or some such an hour. He's brand agnostic; Canon, Nikon, etc is fine as well as old stuff like my Ricoh TLS. I really liked working with him and could see myself mailing him a camera or lens for repair (I no longer live near Topeka).