Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2019, 10:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax SV mirror/lens jammed

G'day everyone, the joys of buying sight unseen from local classifieds!

So my 'new' SV turned up and has some issues...

When it arrives, the mirror was in the down position and the shutter was not advanced. Super Tak 55/f1.8 attached. It was nice and clear through the VF.

I advanced the shutter, fired the shutter, and this happened:

- Mirror jammed in the up position.
- VF blacked out.
- Shutter cocked indicater 'red'.
- Shutter button depressed (can't be fired).
- Advance lever won't move.
- Shutter curtain closed (looking from back).

So I then tried to unscrew the lens to look inside and see what's going on, and the lens will unscrew about half way but won't release. It also won't screw all the way back in (jamming about 1/4 short). I am assuming the stop-down pin is catching. I have tried moving the M/A lever, changing aperture, and min/max focus, without change.

So, with a jammed lens and closed shutter curtain, I can't see what's going on inside

*edit* I unscrewed the lens mount and managed to remove the lens, so ignore that part of the issue. Looking inside, the mirror is up. It can be pulled down but as soon as I let it go it flicks back up...

Thoughts?

Last edited by nickthetasmaniac; 03-28-2019 at 04:35 AM.
03-27-2019, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #2

H1A Jammed Film Advance - PentaxForums.com ..last post..?

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 12:30 AM ----------

Similar thing on a spotmatic Jammed Spotmatic?

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 12:32 AM ----------

Be careful you don't lose track of the little plastic washer around the rewind button, they can fall off at random with the bottom plate off.

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 12:36 AM ----------

Worse comes to worse the front comes off with the four screws in the corners, there are shims beneath each that need to be there so be careful where they go/are. This will allow you to get the lens off hopefully. To put the front back on the aperture push mechansism has to be pulled forward.

Last edited by Ranchu; 03-27-2019 at 11:36 PM.
03-28-2019, 02:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchu Quote
H1A Jammed Film Advance - PentaxForums.com ..last post..?[COLOR=Silver]
Thanks for the link. I pulled off the baseplate and it appears mine is at a different stage of advance...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
03-28-2019, 04:31 AM   #4

It's in the cocked position..I would try pushing the silver point to the left to release it, and see if you can get the lens off, then try to cock and fire it again. What may have happened, and I'm a little fuzzy on this, is that someone may have taken the front off and replaced it WITHOUT pulling the aperture pusher outward, which if I remember will lock it in place, and maybe that's the cause of your jam. With the lens off you should be able to move the pusher backward and forwards easily. Not sure though.

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 05:40 AM ----------

Yeah, don't do that. I just tried on my s1a and it doesn't really change anything. I also tried holding the aperture pusher solid, and the shutter wouldn't fire while I held it. I would take off the front and get the lens off, and see what happens. Be careful of the shims, it's often a pair of shims under each screw on the top or bottom, and a single shim under each of the other two.

Last edited by Ranchu; 03-28-2019 at 04:45 AM.
03-28-2019, 04:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchu Quote
It's in the cocked position..I would try pushing the silver point to the left to release it, and see if you can get the lens off, then try to cock and fire it again. What may have happened, and I'm a little fuzzy on this, is that someone may have taken the front off and replaced it WITHOUT pulling the aperture pusher outward, which if I remember will lock it in place, and maybe that's the cause of your jam. With the lens off you should be able to move the pusher backward and forwards easily. Not sure though.

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 05:40 AM ----------

Yeah, don't do that. I just tried on my s1a and it doesn't really change anything. I also tried holding the aperture pusher solid, and the shutter wouldn't fire while I held it. I would take off the front and get the lens off, and see what happens.
Ok, I took the front off and removed the lens, so that part is solved. When I reattached the front I made sure the aperture pusher bar was correctly seated on the sprung lever.

Still no change to jammed status.

- Advance lever won’t move.
- Shutter button is depressed.
- Shutter advance indicator red.
- Shutter curtain closed.
- Mirror up.
03-28-2019, 04:46 AM   #6

Dang. I think I'm out of ideas. Try to move the drive sprockets in the film chamber, if that doesn't work, try the film release button. I don't know though. This is just what I'd get up to.
03-28-2019, 05:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, after some more googling and playing, I'm here...

Mirror has dropped, and shutter cocked indicator is now clear, but advance lever won’t move and shutter button is still depressed...

I should probably send it to a tech

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 11:54 PM ----------

I also came across this thread, which covers the same possible solution worked through above. It looks like my issue is different (not the black lever).

SV jammed advance lever - PentaxForums.com
Attached Images

04-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a video on youtube here that gives a decent overview of the mechanics under the baseplate. Might help you, might not. I have no affiliation with the video's maker, just stumbled on it myself a while back and this thread jogged my memory. I can also recommend a good tech in Ontario, though I don't know where you're located.

Any progress on the jam?

Last edited by PGillin; 04-04-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Formatting
04-04-2019, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
There is a video on youtube here that gives a decent overview of the mechanics under the baseplate. Might help you, might not. I have no affiliation with the video's maker, just stumbled on it myself a while back and this thread jogged my memory. I can also recommend a good tech in Ontario, though I don't know where you're located.

Any progress on the jam?

Video
I believe that video was made by 'Chickentender', a long time member here

Eventually I gave up on fixing it myself and sent it off for a full refurb with F16 Cameras in Brisbane, Aus.
04-04-2019, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I believe that video was made by 'Chickentender', a long time member here

Eventually I gave up on fixing it myself and sent it off for a full refurb with F16 Cameras in Brisbane, Aus.
I'm pretty confident that 'Chickentender' didn't make that video.
04-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
Was it you? I could've sworn a PF member made it... (This is me trying to recollect an old thread...)
04-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I was about to point that out. And I came here to post your video.
I only posted a photo of my SV's baseplate off; Chris made the video.

Here's the old thread Nick (well not terribly old):

SV jammed advance lever - PentaxForums.com

edit: oops you already found that one. But at any rate...
I'd send it to Eric or another reputable tech. It clearly needs a CLA (all of these vintage do when they've been sitting this long) and they aren't terribly expensive to have worked on since they're all mechanical. I had him do an H3V and H1A last spring and they're good as new. One had a similar mirror problem as yours - just a CLA sorted everything out.

Last edited by chickentender; 04-04-2019 at 11:00 PM.
04-04-2019, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I was about to point that out. And I came here to post your video.
I only posted a photo of my SV's baseplate off; Chris made the video.

Here's the old thread Nick (well not terribly old):
Lol yep, figured out it was you and ctrout talking about ctrout's video, I just got the maker confused...

QuoteQuote:
I'd send it to Eric or another reputable tech. It clearly needs a CLA (all of these vintage do when they've been sitting this long).
It's currently with a tech I assumed it would need a CLA, but it was fun looking at the innards...