Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #1

Pentax LX back wonít open

Hi everyone.

I recently acquired a LX, raised up the rewind lever but the camera back refuses to open like itís still latched. I know the LX used different seal material from earlier models so in general doesnít deteriorate causing the back to stick so am unsure what I am doing wrong or if itís a mechanical issue with the rewind lever not lifting the matching mechanism. All help would be greatly appreciated.

04-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
It’s probably stuck on the light seal. The mechanism is pretty robust. You might have to pry it open if it hasn’t been used for a while.
04-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The film door is pressed from thin metal and might be slightly deformed (bent),
making it seal very tight. This may cause the latch mechanism to bind as well.

I have owned a couple of used 35mm cameras that seemed to have this problem.
I can't imagine how this could happen; I guess some owners aren't real careful.

Chris
04-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try squeezing the back against the body and releasing it while pulling up on the handle.

04-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
ne!

Interesting, I bought an LX from eBay about 6 weeks ago in great shape. The camera arrived and I couldn't open the film back either!

it turned out that someone had used super-glue to tack-down some of the leather cover near the door opening-- it had run into the seam and glued the door shut! Obviously I sent it back for a refund, and it explained why there where *no* photos of the film compartment in the original listing, my goodness.