Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian

CR2 rechargeable batteries in MZ-S

I burned through my first set of batteries on my MZ-S, after 15 rolls of film. Not bad, but I was looking on B&H and saw that they have rechargeable CR2 batteries and a charger. Problem in the rechargeable batteries are 200mah compared to 850mah for disposable. If everything works in a linear way, I should be able to shoot about 4 rolls of film on a rechargeable, before changing the batteries. But the world is rarely linear. Has anyone tried these, and had success on any film camera that uses them, especially the MZ-S?

Watson Dual Rapid Charger for 3V CR123A and CR2 ADC-3VCR2 B&H

04-13-2019, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have used these (different brand but same charger) and had no bother but the BG10 grip is a much better option.
04-13-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The grip makes the camera much too bulky for me.

On my last roll, I noticed the low battery icon on the LCD at about 25 shots into the roll. I also started noticing that the camera seemed to be struggling to return the mirror, and my last couple shot the blackout was significantly longer than when the batteries were fresh. So when the roll was finished, after it rewound, I replaced the batteries. But that borderline behavior is kind of what made me worry about rechargeables. There is clearly not a lot of distance between low enough to trigger the warning, and low enough to impact camera functioning, since rechargeable usually have a different power curve, I worry that I might not even get 4 rolls.

Did you get a sense of how much continuous use you could get?
04-14-2019, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Carry a spare and change the battery, just as I do with my K-3? I presume you can change the battery mid-roll.

04-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, I can do that, but what I’m trying to determine isn’t really how I’ll work with the camera, but whether the 200mah rechargeable will be worth the effort versus carrying spare disposables.
04-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be wary of low mah rechargeables, I locked up my MZ-M by shooting it with almost dead AA's in the grip - I thought it had killed the camera (mirror locked up), nothing I tried would fix it. I gave it one last go a day or so later with fresh batteries and it dropped the mirror and seemed to recover. The MZ-M isn't an MZ-S but I guess much of the internals may be similar as they were from the same era.

15 rolls was about what my Z-1 managed on the 2CR5s, I'd stick with the non-rechargeable CR2s.
04-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing says you canít use both.
Shelf life of the disposables is pretty good, so they can sit unused.

If I was shooting a lot, Iíd use the rechargeable, but have a set of disposables ready to go just in case.
Shoot the first three rolls of the day on the rechargeables.

If thatís enough, itís enough. If not, you have the disposables ready.
And presumably enough time to order some new ones before you kill a pair.

If I was shooting more than 3 rolls a day on a regular basis, Iíd buy a couple of sets of rechargeables and do the same scheme...

As it is for me, I never really shoot more than a roll at a time without the AA grip, so it isnít an issue...

-Eric
04-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I'd be wary of low mah rechargeables, I locked up my MZ-M by shooting it with almost dead AA's in the grip - I thought it had killed the camera (mirror locked up), nothing I tried would fix it. I gave it one last go a day or so later with fresh batteries and it dropped the mirror and seemed to recover. The MZ-M isn't an MZ-S but I guess much of the internals may be similar as they were from the same era.

15 rolls was about what my Z-1 managed on the 2CR5s, I'd stick with the non-rechargeable CR2s.
The immediate plan is not to do the rechargeables. I’ll be visiting Moscow and St. Petersburg in a month and the MZ-S will be my primary camera for the trip. I figure 3 pairs of disposables should easily get me the entire trip, so I’ll bring 4 or 5 pairs. It would be nice to travel with two pairs of rechargables and a charger. One pair gets me through the day, the other pair is in the hotel topping up. But I don’t know if the rechargables will get that far and I don’t want to rely on untested equipment. Lately I’ve been shooting the MZ-S a lot because I got it three months ago, and I wanted to fully test and trust it. After the trip I’ll shoot it less because I’ll be focusing more on my medium format cameras. Then the disposables will be fine too since it will take me months to go through 15 rolls.