Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2019, 12:48 AM   #1

I got an MX and the shutter sounds like a beast. Is this normal?

Here's a video I made firing the shutter: New Pantax MX with a beast of a shutter? : Cameras

What do you think? Is something wrong with it?

It needs light seals, so I'm going to do that. Was also wondering about lens choice recommendations. I like portraits, bokeh and telephoto.

04-14-2019, 01:27 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My MX sounds about the same with the "singing sound" when the shutter closes and the mirror comes down.
04-14-2019, 01:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah? How's it working for you?
04-14-2019, 03:55 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LambentTyto Quote
Here's a video I made firing the shutter: New Pantax MX with a beast of a shutter? : Cameras

What do you think? Is something wrong with it?

It needs light seals, so I'm going to do that. Was also wondering about lens choice recommendations. I like portraits, bokeh and telephoto.
Hard to really judge sound off the recording. In my experience the MX isn’t particularly loud compared to similar SLRs.

Regarding lenses. If you like bokeh the Pentax-M 50/f1.4 is a great fast and affordable lens (expect a clean example to be less than $100).

For portraits and medium telephoto the Pentax-M 100/f2.8 and Pentax 135/f2.5 are both great.

If you don’t mind spending some money the Pentax 85/f1.8 is amazing.

04-14-2019, 05:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Put a lens on it. It will muffle some of the noise.
I must confess the sound of my LX surprised me after a few years of K10D/K-5/K-3 shutters.
As for lenses, I'd say the M series has to be the best match. The 28/2.0, 50/1.7 and 85/2.0 would be a great start.
04-14-2019, 05:27 AM   #6

Sounds a bit loud but hard to judge by the video. The sound of my two MX differs a lot, one being a lot noisier at all shutter speeds. Even after I had them CLAed the same time about a year ago. Also on the MX I have owned longer the shutter dial is pretty easy to turn while the other is stiff.
04-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

As noted above, it is kind of hard to tell from the video. Turning the volume down to where the shutter speed dial sounds more normal and your camera noise is not unusual. My KX with lens off makes a similar mechanical "ring" at the end of exposure that is quite prominent with the lens off. The ringing sound is caused by the aperture actuator returning to home. Put a lens on and film in the camera and have fun.

BTW...unless you are confident that the camera would not benefit from service, I suggest that a CLA might be a good idea rather that just replacing the light seals and mirror bumper foam.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-14-2019 at 08:19 AM.
04-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a few MXs in my collection, and they are pretty loud compared to many, but it’s more the character of the sound as the mirror clatters down after the shutter closes. Pentax made strong claims about the mirror damping as it rises, so it doesn’t add to vibration affecting the sharpness, but it does slam down after the shot.
I just shot a roll on an MX trying a different film, and I was again impressed with the good exposures and sharpness of the 50 f1.7 M lens. I have noticed with this one that sometimes (rarely) the mirror stop leaves the mirror in the wrong position so the next shot focus is way off. My other MXs don’t do this.
I like the size and handling of the MX, but the noise isn’t subtle.
04-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses everyone. I just needed to make sure. I'll put a role through it and see what happens.
12-20-2023, 11:10 PM   #10

Mine looks to do the same. Anyone managed to fix it?

EDIT: here interesting description about what may be happening: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-film-slrs-compact-film-cameras/261218-...ml#post5868256

Last edited by DaimonPl; 12-23-2023 at 09:35 AM.