Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2019, 05:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Things to Check on an LX

Hello,

Having received my LX from Advance Camera's warranty job for about 2 weeks now, but I realized that there are still some minor issues that they did not completely fix. For example, the meter does not turn off automatically, and it uses up a set of 357 cells in about two weeks, and there are also minor issues that only occasionally happen with slower shutter speeds. I am planning to send it in one last time before I take it back to China for the summer. It seems that what they do is fixing the problems that I have described. So I would like to do a check myself before sending it in, and fix as much issues as possible before I go home.

Sincerely

Edit: Advance Camera had done fantastic job on the sticky mirror and motor drive issues, but it is just that there are minor issues I have missed that did not got fixed.

04-16-2019, 02:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

I am by no means an expert on the LX, though here are a few things I can think of:
- meter accuracy, compared to a control such as a digital camera
- shutter speeds,
I would do a test roll where you test as many different shutter speeds as possible whilst keeping the lighting and the subject the same. Then you should be able to see if the exposure varies significantly on any of the exposures. I did this recently with another camera and chose a bright scene with sunny 16 metering.
- self timer, does it work? mine is broken on my LX.
- Depth of field preview, does it work ok?
- shutter curtains look OK? on my LX one of them is slightly marked
- ISO setting. Does it affect the metering as you would expect?
- Can you remove the prism and all seems ok?
- Does the shutter lock function?
04-16-2019, 06:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Make sure the focus is accurate, as a sagging mirror stop will make the VF focus different than film focus. Happened to mine years ago.