Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2019, 07:14 AM   #1

Where to (physically) find a Pentax LX in Tokyo, Japan?

Dear Pentax Forums members,

First of all, hi everyone.

I've been wanting to get a Pentax LX for some time, and I thought that my future trip to Japan would be the perfect opportunity to find one. I am going to arrive in Tokyo next month, and wanted (already in the first week) to find a working, ready to shoot Pentax LX. I live in Brazil, where LX's are rare; I thought about buying one on eBay but shipping costs are crazy and I saw that most of them are already coming from Japan! So, why not search for one in Japan itself?

Does anyone have any tips about finding a working, already CLAd, Pentax LX (with lens) in Tokyo? Any store/sellers tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pedro

04-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was in Tokyo a few years ago we came across numerous camera stores with used Pentax gear. Not sure how to go about this prior to arriving and specifically looking for one item.

You could try this guy:

Find me a Camera - Japan Camera Hunter

Phil.
04-17-2019, 09:18 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Map Camera in Shinjuku is worth a visit as is Fujiya Camera in Nakano.
Both carry good Pentax stock.
Worth a visit.

They used to be my favourite camera shops in Tokyo until I discovered Sanpou Camera in Meguro and Used Camera Box in Shinjuku.

Sanpou Camera has some great deals and is a well priced shop. They carry a large stock of Pentax lenses and bodies which changes frequently.
It's a long walk from Meguro station but worth a visit.
?????????? -?????????????????????????????????-

The best used camera shop in Tokyo is called Used Camera Box.
It is in Shinjuku near to Map camera.
It is tricky to find so you should use google maps.
It is a tiny shop in the basement.
It is cramped with camera and lenses in glass cabinets. All sorts of stuff piled up around the shop.
It is like a museum. Run by a few older guys who are friendly and speak very basic english.
I went in last week and they had an LX. Roughly 45,000yen.
The number one camera shop to visit.
05-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I am just back from Tokyo and I have to say the prices were pretty steep - I wouldn't go expecting a bargain because you will be most likely disappointed. Be very wary because the way the shops grade the cameras is not what you might expect - 'A' rated is not good.

They tend to go as Mint, Nr Mint, Excellent, Good - bear in mind Excellent might mean they used it as a door until last week. I found the prices rather expensive for almost anything and in some cases completely over the top for some stuff. Read up on the quality ratings in Japan because they don't have a 'don't work - spares only' classification - they all seem to list as Amazing, Fantastic, Really Good, Exceptional, Brilliant etc. If you read eBay listings you will see what I mean - Japanese cameras listed as Excellent but when you read the description turns out the lens has fungus, viewfinder broken, meter not running and the case has a big dent in it - so just be VERY cautious.

I did a lot of trolling around in Tokyo and eventually found what I wanted when I wasn't looking anymore (hows that for some Zen !) I had given up for the day and we were wandering down some back street somewhere around Asakusa when I spotted a tiny shop with some Nikons in - we went in and the guy in the shop was very helpful, we looked at a batch of Nikon Fs and eventually settled a deal. The price was fair - it was absolutely NOT a bargain basement price but reasonable for the camera. Somewhere around I have the receipt but I doubt I could ever find the shop again

They are not great hagglers out there and tend to fix the price and not want to move much - it took me the best part of an hour to haggle and chip the price. As ever polite and respectful gets you far and I do love Japan very much - wish I could live there to be honest.

Theres lots of good stuff there but its not cheap - an LX for 45,000 yen translates into my money as £307 - I could get one from a dealer in the UK with a 12 month warranty for £275 so you can see its not an amazing price by any means unless its super minty.

Camera collecting is quite a hobby in Japan and its reflected in the prices.

05-05-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Based on eBay listings from Japanese camera stops, I’ve come to the conclusion that “Excellent” with less than four “+”s is too beat up for me. Good and very good are neither.
05-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're coming from the UK and basing the price on the exchange rate then of course dont expect a bargain nowadays.
When I first came to Japan in 2002 the exchange rate was 226 yen to the pound. Bargains galore.
The shops dont price for tourists. That is for large tax free chain stores.

Haggling and tipping isn't in the culture here. If it took an hour to get a deal done then I am surprised he gave in at all.
It takes a certain amount of loyalty for return customers to get anything, even then it will be offered by the staff not requested by the customer.
That's just as much a part of the culture as taking ones shoes off upon entering the home.

Some shops have have a grading like you pointed out.
Map Camera does something like that.
Fujiya Camera has a AB ranking.
Many of the shops have "junk" cameras. Something is often broken on the camera.
This could be a dirty mirror, rusty battery compartment, anything.
I bought a silver MZ10 with a sightly rusty battery compartment, cleaned it, works fine. 300 yen.
An MZ3 with a broken pop up flash for only 30 yen.
These cameras are considered spares and repairs.
Same with lenses and accessories.

Around 40,000 yen is the going rate for an LX.
Around 30,000 for an MZS.
Both considered collectors cameras here.
I would like both of them but too rich for me.
Happy with my ME Super and MZ3.
05-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yup - but a good haggle if done right will always get you somewhere - IF you do it right. I wouldn't negotiate in a Japanese store in the way I would negotiate in Egypt or Greece for sure as I am aware of Japanese sensibilities and they do it different but they will deal if you are respectful and approach it the right way. I am a pussycat compared to my partner in this who is a real hustler and has got deals done where even I was amazed that they would negotiate.