Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #1

Black bar on the right side of my......

.....photo after testing out, shooting a brick wall.
I had my K1000, of which I had just purchased used, and ran it through some tests. I assume the light meter is working and everything else for that matter. I was so excited to get my prints back from our local camera store, who does all their processing in-house, and take a look at it all. But I noticed there was a black bar that has a fuzzy edge to it just sitting on the right side of the photo. I luckily wrote down what shutter speed and aperture I used when I took that shot so I can reference it against another of the same photo I took at a different shutter speed and aperture.
The first, with the black bar on the side was shot at 1/1000, f 5.6
The second, w/o the black bar on the side, was shot at 1/250, f11

I was using and ISO 400 film and had the ISO setting on the camera adjusted accordingly.

Can anyone clue me in as to what the possible cause might be?

04-19-2019, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like shutter capping.
These cameras are all old now, and they need servicing every now and then. Your K1000 has likely never been serviced.
I recommend sending it to Eric Hendrickson (Home-Pentaxs) for servicing.
04-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Sounds like shutter capping.
These cameras are all old now, and they need servicing every now and then. Your K1000 has likely never been serviced.
I recommend sending it to Eric Hendrickson (Home-Pentaxs) for servicing.
Is there any way of making adjustments myself? Or would it be better if I just take it in for a CLA and inform them of the issue Iím having with it?
04-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PjayPages Quote
Or would it be better if I just take it in for a CLA and inform them of the issue I’m having with it?
That's your best bet. You may be able to do a few things yourself, like redoing the light seals, but adjusting the meter if it's off is not so easy.

Phil.

04-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is a K1000 service manual floating around here online somewhere, so if you feel brave, it may be something you can do yourself.

I had mine done, which is more expensive, obviously... but I donít generally work on cameras Iím sentimental about

-Eric