Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help me choose please.

So I have come up with a personal dilemma and I find myself wondering which camera to use...

I have been shooting with digital Pentax SLR's for a few years now and during that time I have collected a few Pentax film SLR cameras.

I have decided to buy 3 rolls of film (Fujifilm Superia Premium ISO400, 36 shots) because I want to do some film photgraphy for the first time since I was about 10 years old shooting with a very cheap camera from a show bag.

I really should thank whoever sold me the show bag as it got me interested in photgraphy - just took me around 30 or so years to follow up with that desire lol.

I now have a Pentax Z-10, a Pentax MZ-60, a Pentax ES and a k1000 (which I cant really use until I get the sensor cleaned). Apart from the k1000, the cameras are in awesome condition.

I would like to know people's opinions before I use my film in any of the cameras. Is it worth having the k1000 cleaned to use it first? Are the others worth using seeing that they are in good working condition?

I have been trying to decide now for about a week and am getting anxious to use the film.

Any/all advice is welcome and thanks for your time reading and responding.

04-23-2019, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

To be honest, if you’ve never shot any of these cameras, your first roll in any of the cameras may be a test roll to make sure it all works. The ES is a 50 year old camera, the K1000 could be as old as 40 years old. The other two are newer, but may not be as well built. (Well, many of the MZ cameras are notorious for a dying mirror gear.) I assume you have compatible lenses for each camera. If it were me, I’d dive in headfirst with the ES, but if you’re not all-in on the old way of doing things, it may feel ‘old’ coming from a dslr.
04-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The ES it will be :-)

Looking at the k1000, I was assuming it to be the oldest in my collection. Probably is just that is the most used - IDK.
All the other cameras I bought are in great condition and will hopefully all work without drama but I wont know till I give it a go.

Your assumption was correct with the lenses. I have plenty of old lenses to use.

The MZ camera does not seem to have any issues with the mirror yet.

The "old" way of doing things is exactly why I want to use film and test my skills.

Cheers for the advice.

Once I develop the film, I will post some results on this forum.
04-23-2019, 11:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 @abruzzi. With either the ES (or a cleaned up K1000) it will give you total manual control. Manual focus means more time to consider your focal point. Manual shutter and aperture forces you to really consider your settings.

On the down side, an all manual camera like the ES takes a bit more skill in terms of loading correctly, rewinding, and potential light leaks or out of calibration shutter speeds, etc.

For the MZ, AF is great if your eyes need 'help', and semi-automatic exposure modes or auto advancing film will allow you to focus more on the shots and less on the technical. Either way, enjoy the return to analog.

04-24-2019, 02:23 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
So I have come up with a personal dilemma and I find myself wondering which camera to use...

I now have a Pentax Z-10, a Pentax MZ-60, a Pentax ES and a k1000 (which I cant really use until I get the sensor cleaned). Apart from the k1000, the cameras are in awesome condition.

I'm wondering how you clean the sensor on a film camera...
But I'm thinking you mean the focusing screen... Some K1000s have a problem with the prism desilvering, which you can't clean...

Otherwise, I would start with the ES or K1000, depending on the lenses you've got hanging about.
But hey, you've got three rolls, so it's really more of a question of which one do you not use...

-Eric
04-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Assuming all shutters work: Use smartphone as a light meter with an app. Choose the K1000 and forget the internal meter. From there it’s learn a few basics and “kiss” the process. An all manual flow will help you visualize and capture the moment instead of “spraying & praying” lots of shots. Have some fun!
04-24-2019, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You're looking for opinions? Sell (or throw away) the Z and MZ. If the K1000 is in good shape cosmetically (no dents), get it serviced to fix the issue and it will last another 30 years without any issues. Then I'd pick between the ES or the K1000 after running a roll of film through each. Pick the one which feels the best in your hands. The ES is M42-mount, and the K1000 is K-mount. Once you pick which you want to keep, buy a few more classics, such as the SV if you keep the ES, or the MX if you keep the K1000.

04-24-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been shooting with digital Pentax SLR's for a few years now and during that time I have collected a few Pentax film SLR cameras.

I have decided to buy 3 rolls of film (Fujifilm Superia Premium ISO400, 36 shots) because I want to do some film photgraphy for the first time since I was about 10 years old shooting with a very cheap camera from a show bag.

I really should thank whoever sold me the show bag as it got me interested in photgraphy - just took me around 30 or so years to follow up with that desire lol.

I would like to know people's opinions before I use my film in any of the cameras. Is it worth having the k1000 cleaned to use it first? Are the others worth using seeing that they are in good working condition?

I have been trying to decide now for about a week and am getting anxious to use the film.

Regarding the K1000... If it's in decent cosmetic condition and only needs CLA I would say it's worth it. If you got another used K1000 it's hit or miss that it works as well as a recent clean and lube and it may cost about as much as CLA.

Or, you could sell the K1000 $50 minimum and pick up another for $100-$150 ...if that one is good you're all set, if not you rotate another sell and buy...

Or...just get a KX and sell the K1000 as-is ..

I guess it depends how much you want a useable K1000....

04-24-2019, 11:36 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everyone needs a functioning K1000

-Eric
04-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I was shooting with a Pentax P30t and the problem I had was dead batteries. When the battery goes in a P30t, you can’t take any pictures because the battery controls the shutter. (I was shooting ski pictures outdoors in the winter in Colorado, so the batteries would get cold and go dead.). My solution was to get a K1000 because the battery is only for the light meter; it it goes you can still use a hand meter and take pictures.
04-25-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,
If you decide to have your ES or K1000 serviced f16 at Margate here in Brisbane would be able to do it for you. Just Google f16 and Alan's site will come up.
If using the K1000, or any K mount camera for that matter, with M42 lens only use a genuine Pentax M42 to K mount adaptor.
There is one for sale at Bamaga at the Moment with Arjay Bee.
Regards.
04-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffdrew Quote
Assuming all shutters work: Use smartphone as a light meter with an app. Choose the K1000 and forget the internal meter. From there it’s learn a few basics and “kiss” the process. An all manual flow will help you visualize and capture the moment instead of “spraying & praying” lots of shots. Have some fun!
I like the idea of using my mobile phone.. I was planning on using the K-70 to take test shots before hand to evaluate the light. Awesome idea - cheers. I am contemplating buying a light meter in future.

I have managed to give the K1000 a little clean up and it looks good through the viewfinder and inside.

I have decided 1 roll of film for the ES and another for the K1000. I have 10 difgerent M42 lenses to choose from and over 30 K mount lenses to use so I wont be using any adapters this time round.

I was thinking just use the 3rd roll in the MZ-60 to see how it turns out but have decided to wait and see how the first 2 rolls turn out. I have now changed my mind.

I have a local store that has plenty of film to buy and they will do the processing so I wont miss future opportunity to use either camera.

Great advice from everyone - Thank you.
04-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

a Pentax ES and a k1000
+1 on these two...…

lost a roll in a zx-50 and holding my breath for the roll in a zx-L.....and will not get another body in this series.....
actually got an SF-1 this week to have an AF body but will take me a few to get well acquainted with the program line before I run a roll through it

working on a roll of B&W in an ME and a K-1000 will receive the next roll to be loaded

oh geez just saw yer last post.....good choices