Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2019, 07:19 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
K2 DMD - Could not believe it!

Thursday night, I thought I was dreaming when I found a listing in a “For Sale” app on my phone for a Pentax K2 DMD, several lenses, several grips, and a case. If, like the majority of K2 DMD cameras, it was non-repairable, I could sell it as “For Parts Only/As Is”. I agreed to meet him Friday evening. The man was very apologetic in explaining that it took him forever to figure out how to find and install fresh batteries as he gave me the heavy aluminum case to open (he had bought and installed a pair prior to posting it for sale).

“Ma’am, I don’t know nothing about the camera so I can’t tell you anything about it. I never could get it to work. Somebody just gave it to me years ago; I have no use for it so I thought I might could sell it. If you want it, it’s yours. If you don’t, that’s ok. Maybe someone else will want it. It’s just been sitting in the case in a closet for years.” Upon opening the case, there sat, by outward appearance, a near mint condition Pentax K2 DMD with a grip on it. When I picked it up and took off the lens cap, I could not believe that I was looking at a first edition SMC Pentax Fish-Eye 1:4/17 lens mounted on the camera! I literally started shaking inside; I was speechless! Both looked pristine.

I hastily glanced at the other lenses, a Sigma Zoom K III 1:3.5~4.5 75~210mm and a Sigma Zoom 1:3.5~4.5 28~80mm lens (in a hard case). All 3 lenses looked to be in excellent condition. I closed the case and asked if he was sure about his price. “Yes ma’am, for a camera that doesn’t work, I am sure. Unless you think it should be less?” I handed the man his posted $50 cash price.

Everything seems to work fine except for the rotating the ASA ring, so hopefully a good CLA will take care of that issue. I cannot get it to move past 100 to 125; the index ring moves freely and when it moves, the ASA ring moves as a whole.
Or I am still not understanding the directions from the K2 manual on how to rotate it. I have tried to search for info but not much is avail.

Any advice would be appreciated.

There is one issue with the fish eye lens that I hope a cleaning will correct. I cannot rotate the built in filters. I have not been able to find info on how to rotate the little lens hood to use the filters by doing a quick search. I will post that question in the lens section of the forum.

There were a total of three motor drives in the case; no battery grip for the K2 DMD motor drives. One was attached to the camera itself. There was a second motor drive for the K2 DMD, as well as, a Pentax Winder ME II (requires AA batteries). If I never find the battery grip, I will honestly not be distraught.

If you know of just a battery grip available, please let me know.

Last edited by Phyllis; 05-04-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spacing, spelling
05-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice find! The ASA ring will only rotate when the EV comp is set to 1, so first make sure it is. The ASA ring button is only a lock/unlock button, don't use it to move the dial. It took me a while to figure that out. Press the button to unlock the ring, use another finger or two to rotate the dial from the bottom of the camera. I find it's a two-handed job for me.

My DMD couldn't move past ASA 400, stuck like yours. I had a sacrificial K2 with a good ASA ring. So I swapped rings and cleaned the good one in the process. It now moves much better in the DMD than it did on the K2. Search this forum for "K2 stuck ring" and you should find tips on how to disassemble and clean.
05-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Nice find! The ASA ring will only rotate when the EV comp is set to 1, so first make sure it is. The ASA ring button is only a lock/unlock button, don't use it to move the dial. It took me a while to figure that out. Press the button to unlock the ring, use another finger or two to rotate the dial from the bottom of the camera. I find it's a two-handed job for me.

My DMD couldn't move past ASA 400, stuck like yours. I had a sacrificial K2 with a good ASA ring. So I swapped rings and cleaned the good one in the process. It now moves much better in the DMD than it did on the K2. Search this forum for "K2 stuck ring" and you should find tips on how to disassemble and clean.
Thanks. Where is the EV comp? I’m not finding it in the manual. I don’t want to try to work it too much. My fear is the man I bought it from broke it trying to figure out how to operate the camera years ago. Would explain why he just kept it stored for so long.
05-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
Thanks. Where is the EV comp? I’m not finding it in the manual. I don’t want to try to work it too much. My fear is the man I bought it from broke it trying to figure out how to operate the camera years ago. Would explain why he just kept it stored for so long.
Facing the camera, EV Comp is a tab at about 11:00. It ranges from -2 - +2.

05-05-2019, 12:36 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I made a short video. Sometimes it's easier to show than explain with words.

05-05-2019, 07:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Facing the camera, EV Comp is a tab at about 11:00. It ranges from -2 - +2.
Ok in the manual it’s called an index button(?). Yes, that moves easily. The video you posted was most helpful! 👍 Following your video instructions, I can move the ASA ring but it does not move as easily/freely as the other. I know the ASA is usually “stiff” per my research. I guess I was able to move it just a bit prior but I was thinking I had to release the button for the ASA ring to move. So that answers my question of why I could only get it to move a tiny bit then stop.

Next question I have for you regarding both rings...when I change the index setting or EV comp, (after the ASA has been set), the ASA ring is supposed to rotate with the other but holds the ASA setting, correct? I’m asking to make sure both rings are working correctly. This is totally new for me.

Thank you Murrelet for all of your help.
05-05-2019, 11:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That was a very lucky find indeed. My K2DMD worked out as free once I sold off most of the other items that came with it, and it's one of my favourite 35mm SLRs.

Regarding the ISO ring, there are a lot of stories of them being very stiff but often it's really OK and just user error. You need to depress the little button and then turn the ring, which sounds very simple but there's a knack. Put your finger at the part of the ring that is below the mount (the part that would be on the surface if the camera were put on a table) and make sure that the button is fully depressed.

Another thing to beware of in the K2DMD (and the K2) is that over time their insides get gummed up and they need a CLA to get them working. Both of my K2s suffer from this and in both cases I didn't realise until after I'd bought them. The problem is manifested in the camera getting jammed when firing a shot only when there is a lens on the camera. Testing it with no lens does not show the problem.

05-06-2019, 05:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That was a very lucky find indeed. My K2DMD worked out as free once I sold off most of the other items that came with it, and it's one of my favourite 35mm SLRs.

Regarding the ISO ring, there are a lot of stories of them being very stiff but often it's really OK and just user error. You need to depress the little button and then turn the ring, which sounds very simple but there's a knack. Put your finger at the part of the ring that is below the mount (the part that would be on the surface if the camera were put on a table) and make sure that the button is fully depressed.

Another thing to beware of in the K2DMD (and the K2) is that over time their insides get gummed up and they need a CLA to get them working. Both of my K2s suffer from this and in both cases I didn't realise until after I'd bought them. The problem is manifested in the camera getting jammed when firing a shot only when there is a lens on the camera. Testing it with no lens does not show the problem.
I def plan to get a CLA. It’s been in storage unused for decades. There is some felt missing from the front of the mirror so that needs to be replaced during the CLA. Thanks to the video posted, I could get it to move. I try your suggestion as well. Thank you!

---------- Post added 05-06-19 at 05:10 AM ----------

Does anyone have the motor drive and battery? The camera had two motor drives but no battery pack or battery grip. I know that will be difficult to find. As I’m a newbie to the forum, would this be a “wanted” item I could post in the Sale/Trade section? I’m not exactly sure which battery part I should be searching for.
05-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K2DMD "motor drive" is a bit anemic. The top setting is only 2.5 fps, a rate
equaled by more compact and less expensive power winders of later SLR models.

Chris
05-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The K2DMD "motor drive" is a bit anemic. The top setting is only 2.5 fps, a rate
equaled by more compact and less expensive power winders of later SLR models.

Chris
Yes this is very much true. It’s not a make or break item for me. I simply have been looking to even see if a battery grip by itself exists. Luckily, the camera works without the less than stellar motor drive. 😉
05-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my K2DMD bodies came complete with motor drive and battery grip.
Eric couldn't get it to work; he said it needed unavailable parts. I didn't pursue it.

When I really need motorized advance - which isn't often - my MX with Winder MX works fine - and is faster!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-08-2019 at 05:55 PM.
05-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I def plan to get a CLA. It’s been in storage unused for decades. There is some felt missing from the front of the mirror so that needs to be replaced during the CLA. Thanks to the video posted, I could get it to move. I try your suggestion as well. Thank you!

---------- Post added 05-06-19 at 05:10 AM ----------

Does anyone have the motor drive and battery? The camera had two motor drives but no battery pack or battery grip. I know that will be difficult to find. As I’m a newbie to the forum, would this be a “wanted” item I could post in the Sale/Trade section? I’m not exactly sure which battery part I should be searching for.
I believe I have at least an extra battery holder (it is a vertical tube that attaches to the bottom of the motor drive) and maybe an extra drive. I’ll look tonight and PM you. I have 2 complete DMD sets but I don’t need two drives. I’ve never bothered to test them.
05-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I believe I have at least an extra battery holder (it is a vertical tube that attaches to the bottom of the motor drive) and maybe an extra drive. I’ll look tonight and PM you. I have 2 complete DMD sets but I don’t need two drives. I’ve never bothered to test them.
When I bought it there were two motor drives, no vertical battery grip. And there was a Winder II for an ME. I’m a newbie on the forum. Will I receive email notification of a PM?

---------- Post added 05-06-19 at 03:15 PM ----------

Last edited by Phyllis; 05-06-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Spelling, * 2nd: I goofed up a quote/reply
05-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The winder II ME fits the ME, ME Super, and Super Program, so there are lots of options...

-Eric
05-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
One of my K2DMD bodies came complete with motor drive and battery grip.
Eric couldn't get it to work; he said it needed unavailable parts. I didn't pursue it.

When I really need motorized advance - which isn't often - my MX with Winder MX works fine.

Chris
That’s horrible he couldn’t repair it. I honestly did not think the one I bought would even work. I simply took a chance. There were two motor drives for the K2 DMD and there was also a Winder II ME Drive in the case. So who knows, I may be on the look out for a ME. Can’t test the drive w/o the camera ��.

What did you do with your K2 DMD, motor drive and grip?

---------- Post added 05-06-19 at 04:01 PM ----------

---------- Post added 05-06-19 at 04:03 PM ----------

Last edited by Phyllis; 05-06-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling *2nd edit: somehow quoting incorrectly UGH!