Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, digital scanning and downstream image processing has been a mature reprographic technology for decades. I would not expect any groundbreaking tech that direction. As for dSLR copying, its equivalent is also very mature, that being the devices used for minilab "scans" employ a ccd or cmos sensor capable of instantaneous capture similar to what is in our cameras. The requirements for reproduction are well known and well addressed. What's more, the limitations for dSLR copying remain the same as traditional slide and negative copying using film cameras, that being quality of original, flatness, alignment, and optical path. The capture medium for both at present is not the limiting factor in regards to quality.

I would not expect any groundbreaking improvements in dSLR tech that will directly improve the suitability to task for film copying.

Steve
No, I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking in the DSLRs themselves but as this method continues to grow in popularity I would hope that new software tools for processing the resultant files would become available and better.

QuoteOriginally posted by old_manual_guy Quote
Do you need a light source like a light table/tablet for DSLR scanning? If so any recommendations?
Up until now I have used a flash unit which is fired using a wireless flash trigger on my K-3 but I bought a small LCD panel to use instead, but haven't tried it yet. You need to make sure that the lighting is even across the frame, which means it needs to be sufficiently difused. I've read of people using tablets for lighting and then the screen pixels are visible when you zoom in on the image. I use several layers of translucent plastic packing material sandwiched between translucent plastic which I cut from sheets bought in a stationary shop (intended for use as backing for printed paper).

05-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow - so many posts - thanks guys I will read these up this weekend when I have more time. Been a bit busy of late messing with cameras and work has gotten in the way. I do thank you all for your help.

Mel