Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2019, 12:36 PM - 6 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got myself a complete kit of a Pentax SLR with lenses today (Auto 110)

I just picked up this from the post office today, a Pentax SLR with four lenses, but it ain't that much in in total, neither in mass or volume.

An Asahi Pentax 110 with 18mm, 24mm, 50mm and 70mm with flash.
Only thing missing is the winder really.

Well see if I can have some fun with it too.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
05-07-2019, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely kit!! Looks to be in great condition. Congratulations!
05-07-2019, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fun. I need to play with my recently acquired more complete set. I got some film for it late last week and shot all 5 lenses I have just to see how things checkout but want to play with it more. I recommend getting a reverse mount adapter and a focusing helicoid that extends to a ways beyond 30mm if you don't have one already. Take that 70mm and reverse mount it on the helicoind and have some fun on a k-mount camera.
05-07-2019, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those lenses are often used on m43 cameras also using washers as aperture stops. Seems like a fun kit with film as well. I can't recall if the 70mm will fit the adapters for m43.

05-07-2019, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrKodak Quote
Well see if I can have some fun with it too.
Thank goodness Lomography still "makes" 110 film. What film were you planning to shoot this with and where will it be processed?
05-07-2019, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Thank goodness Lomography still "makes" 110 film. What film were you planning to shoot this with and where will it be processed?
I didn't plan that far ahead really, I thought it looked very cute and its part of history and if I can find some film I'll shoot it.
Developing and that bit will also have to be ad hoc.
05-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrKodak Quote
I didn't plan that far ahead really, I thought it looked very cute and its part of history and if I can find some film I'll shoot it.
Developing and that bit will also have to be ad hoc.
Check ebay. I see a lot of options. Lomography brand film says new still - not sure if it is NOS or still being made. Many brands and prices.

---------- Post added 05-07-19 at 05:22 PM ----------

Just saw adorama has Lomography 200iso color 110 film for pretty cheap. Backorder...

Last edited by UncleVanya; 05-07-2019 at 02:23 PM.
05-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It’s a fun little camera. I originally bought a set on Goodwill auction site that had the camera, pan focus 18mm, 24mm and 50mm. I lost control on EBay and ended up getting the regular 18mm, a winder, the Af130p flash, the 20-40mm zoom, 70mm telephoto, 4 more camera bodies, the light brown case and several of the filters.
In addition to the Lomography film, film photography store is now selling another 110 film, recently expired I believe.
I also made a splitter so when Lomography decides to stop selling 110 film, the party never has to end.
05-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #9

Ah yes, I love this little system. I also have one with the motor winder, but the dawgone thing doesn't work properly. Like the images from this classic little thing. Anyone know where I can find a winder for this? I can't find one without buying the camera, etc. Thank you.
05-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I got a winder on eBay I believe. Also seen them on KEH from time to time.
05-07-2019, 10:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would say check out Film Photography Project, they have some 110 film for sale there: 110 Film ? Film Photography Project Store
05-08-2019, 05:30 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The film I got last week for mine I just ordered off of Amazon. It shipped from Lomography and was their standard price. I got the ISO 100 B&W Orca to run through it to see how the camera performs. I looked into where to get it developed if one doesn't want to do it their self and thedarkroom.com does it and looked to be about the cheapest. I don't know if I can get the negatives put into slides but if anyone knows that would be helpful as that would make scanning them much easier.
05-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Regarding film. I believe you might be able to get bulk 35mm film and split it. The Auto110 drive uses the sprockets on the bottom. You just need to load the cartridge with emulsion facing out and sprockets on the bottom. You can create a jig with a cutting blade and run a piece through splitting it down the middle. I think I remember reading about this back in the day. Might be nice to run some Tmax though that camera. Btw...I still own 3 including the 110 Super. I have all the lenses except the 20-40 zoom and the 1.7x soligor teleconverter.

05-08-2019, 07:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Regarding film. I believe you might be able to get bulk 35mm film and split it. The Auto110 drive uses the sprockets on the bottom. You just need to load the cartridge with emulsion facing out and sprockets on the bottom. You can create a jig with a cutting blade and run a piece through splitting it down the middle. I think I remember reading about this back in the day. Might be nice to run some Tmax though that camera. Btw...I still own 3 including the 110 Super. I have all the lenses except the 20-40 zoom and the 1.7x soligor teleconverter.
110 film doesn't use the sprocket holes for winding the film. The film leader is attached to the takeup spool, which is driven by the camera. The little holes in 110 film were spaced one per frame, and the camera stopped winding when a little pin popped through the hole, confirming you were at the next frame. That pin retracted when you clicked the shutter, allowing for the film to wind again.

The problem with using cut down 35mm film for 110 use, is you would have too many holes.
05-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I made a splitter and have successfully run the film through my 110, reloading tomography 110 film casettes. The section of the film in my case is taken from the center of the 35mm film so all the sprocket holes are cut off. The only downside to using cut film like this is you can't use a winder I believe. The tiny rectangular holes on the film tell the camera when to stop winding and I believe the winder would keep going through the whole roll.

The other problem is that without the tiny rectangular holes to tell the camera where to space to images, you end up with irregularly spaced pictures. Not a big deal but my scanning mask for my flatbed scanner has a little square cut out for each image, so they almost never line up right, making scanning more tedious. Another scanning mask without individual holes for the images would fix that problem easily.