Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2019, 06:13 AM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Fulton County, Illinois
Posts: 2,859
Who still uses a PZ-1P af slr, & do you have any issues using 3rd pty af lenses?

I just ordered an "untested" used PZ-1P, with an F-35-70mm lens, for a very cheap price. If either one of them works, I'll get more than my money's worth, but I'm hoping the PZ-1P will work. It doesn't seem to have any of the usual failings I have read about (eventually) wearing our first: breaks around the battery door, broken flash lift/latch assembly, poorly latching film door, or long enough heavy use to cause finish wear on the film pressure plate which could indicate shutter failure isn't far off. Also, the mirror isn't currently stuck up, the death knell of many a Pentax auto focus slr.

Earlier this morning I read or skimmed a few hundred of the forum posts mentioning the PZ-1P/Z-1P, and of the few I ran across that actually showed pictures taken with the camera, all those taken with an af lens used a Pentax af lenses. There's nothing wrong with that, but half of my tiny stable of af lenses are Sigmas. Somewhere I read a strong warning not to use 3rd party af lenses with some Pentax af slr, and, while it may not have been about the PZ-1P, it makes me wonder whether that camera ever has any 3rd party af lens compatibility issues.

05-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,909
I had a Z-1 , the forerunner of your camera from new in 1991. It is a great camera with a lot of functionality you will recognise today.... twin scroll wheels/hyper mode.

The cracking around the battery door afflicted mine but did not prove troublesome. Eventually mine suffered from the mirror locked up which is a symptom of a plastic cog losing it's teeth. Rather than repair I just bought another on ebay. I used it earlier this year, photo attached.

05-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 410
Still shoot my PZ-1p with lots of lenses including a 28-105 sigma and a 600 mm Sigma mirror telephoto. No problem. The camera will probably last longer than my two K-1ii digital bodies :-).
05-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Fulton County, Illinois
Posts: 2,859
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I had a Z-1 , the forerunner of your camera from new in 1991. It is a great camera with a lot of functionality you will recognise today.... twin scroll wheels/hyper mode.

The cracking around the battery door afflicted mine but did not prove troublesome. Eventually mine suffered from the mirror locked up which is a symptom of a plastic cog losing it's teeth. Rather than repair I just bought another on ebay. I used it earlier this year, photo attached.

I like that picture. Is/was that the site of an old hand-operated canal lock?

Is the picture an example of the postively-reviewed metering system in the (P)Z-1(P) cameras?

05-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Fulton County, Illinois
Posts: 2,859
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Still shoot my PZ-1p with lots of lenses including a 28-105 sigma and a 600 mm Sigma mirror telephoto. No problem. The camera will probably last longer than my two K-1ii digital bodies :-).
Good to know about the Sigma lenses. The ones I have work great on my K110D and K10D, so I'm not really expecting a problem. I wish I could remember exactly which Pentaz af film slr was connected to a warning to stick with Pentax lenses.

Do you have some PZ-1P pictures (maybe taken with one of those Sigmas) to post? As long as we are talking about the camera, there is not reason not to create more interest in it among people who don't know it.
05-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 721
I don’t have any photos to post, but I’ve done some shots with the PZ-1p and a Sigma Superwide 24 f2.8, and a Tamron 28-200 without issues. (Along with a number of Pentax branded lenses.)
05-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,485
I've been shooting with my Z-1p for over 2 years, but I haven't tried any non Pentax AF lenses.
It's a superb camera though.
Here's a Flickr album of photos I've done with it.
Pentax Z-1p | Flickr
05-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,060
The ME-af will not autofocus with any Sigma lens

There were some problems with a few Sigma lenses back when the PZ-1 was new, IIRC, but that wasn’t unheard of for any manufacturer...

More recently, there have been problems with some DSLRs, particularly the lens scuffing the camera body, but those shouldn’t be issues on the PZ-1...

-Eric

05-15-2019, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 721
I dug one up with my sigma 24/2.8. This particular lens loves to flare, so when I shoot it I usually try to encourage the flare.

05-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Essex County, Ontario
Posts: 527
Looking forward to learning more about PZ-1P. Just acquired a flawless body from Japan. Then a FA 28-105 powerzoom and FA 50/1.4 separately each in minty condition. About US $350 invested. This my first acquaintance with a AF film camera.
05-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Fulton County, Illinois
Posts: 2,859
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I've been shooting with my Z-1p for over 2 years, but I haven't tried any non Pentax AF lenses.
It's a superb camera though.
Here's a Flickr album of photos I've done with it.
Pentax Z-1p | Flickr
I like that Flickr page! I wondered if you were using Portra 160 for some of those pictures, but the ones I opened up showed other films.
05-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Fulton County, Illinois
Posts: 2,859
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
The ME-af will not autofocus with any Sigma lens

There were some problems with a few Sigma lenses back when the PZ-1 was new, IIRC, but that wasn’t unheard of for any manufacturer...

More recently, there have been problems with some DSLRs, particularly the lens scuffing the camera body, but those shouldn’t be issues on the PZ-1...

-Eric
I did a lot of parallel reading of ebay listings for Pentax AF auto focus slrs that have higher ratings in our reviews here, along with the corresponding PF camera reviews and sometimes other articles, about a week ago, and perhaps the warning about non-Pentax af lenses I read was connected to the ME-af you mention.
05-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Fulton County, Illinois
Posts: 2,859
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I dug one up with my sigma 24/2.8. This particular lens loves to flare, so when I shoot it I usually try to encourage the flare.
That is quite a shower of flare!
05-15-2019, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,909
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I like that picture. Is/was that the site of an old hand-operated canal lock?

Is the picture an example of the postively-reviewed metering system in the (P)Z-1(P) cameras?
This is a picture of Walsham Gates, a lock on the Wey Navigation Canal in Surrey, UK. It is a traditional hand operated lock. It was opened in 1653 and is still operational today. Unusually for a canal lock, the normal position is for both gates to be open at the same time. They are only closed when the water level rises above a certain level and the gates are closed to allow the water to flow over the weir next to it. I present another view of the gates and lock-keepers cottage from the other direction.

The metering oin the Z-1 is either centre weighted or spot. For the b+w shot I used spot metering, reading off the shadow areas and then stopping down 2 stops to take the shot.

05-15-2019, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
johnha's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancashire, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 622
The Z-1 was the first body with the PZ/SDM contacts. Some independent lenses had a longer baffle by the aperture lever which fouled the new contacts. That might be why you've heard about issues. I used a sigma 70-300 AF zoom on my Z-1 without problems.

Some independent lenses focus the wrong way (infinity to the right), sigmas often do this. it's not usually a problem although the screw drive may drive it the wrong way initially, slowing AF down a bit.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
3rd, af, door, lens, lenses, party, pentax, pz-1p, pz-1p af, slr, switch
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical problem with Z-1p (PZ-1p) Andrea K Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 04-24-2018 05:09 AM
Pz-1p/ z-1p Spodeworld Pentax Film SLR Discussion 6 10-24-2017 04:24 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Z-1P (PZ-1P) SLR Curbster54 Sold Items 9 12-07-2009 05:24 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Z-1P (PZ-1P)...FDP Grip & Strap Curbster54 Sold Items 29 09-13-2009 06:16 AM
Z-1/PZ-1 vs. Z-1p/PZ-1p - differences? scottax1 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 5 08-27-2007 03:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top