Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

f~stop match needle vs typical speed needle ...how does that work?

recently got a sears/ricoh auto/TLS…..neat lil light box plus I love that SR logo!.....

unfortunately the light meter does not seem to be working and has a very different set up in comparison to other film bodies I have.....with f~stop settings on the rewind ring<<<assuming this set to what the lens is, widest opening>>>, asa is on shutter speed dial.....in the viewfinder has what seems to be 2 red translucent sliders? seems 1 is set on whatever fstop the rewind ring is set...maybe quite possibly the second what the lens is set at??? the black needle seems to move with fstop change or speed change (in my case at very low speeds like B, 1s to maybe 1/4s)

reckon my question is if the meter were working correctly <<would it be acting like Tav?>> where I adjust speed to match needle the fstop in the viewfinder that is set on the lens?

since the meter does not work I will be using a handheld meter after I replace the seals as I am comfortable with the working condition other than the meter which is disappointing but very curious how it works for 'correct' exposure

thanks

Last edited by Aaron28; 05-18-2019 at 03:58 PM.
05-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You mean the Ricoh Auto TLS EE/Sears Auto TLS?
If it is that one, yeah the light meter seems weird to me on how to use it too.

Here's the manual for the Ricoh Auto TLS EE, which the Sears version should work the same: Ricoh Auto TLS EE camera instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals
05-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
If it is that one, yeah the light meter seems weird to me on how to use it too.
yeh its weird!!! its a sears auto/TLS...oops calles it a TTl.......a re badged ricoh
05-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
reckon my question is if the meter were working correctly <<would it be acting like Tav?>> where I adjust speed to match needle the fstop in the viewfinder that is set on the lens?
It has shutter-priority exposure automation (i.e. Tv mode) when used with a corresponding Ricoh or Sears "EE" lens and supports regular stop-down metered manual or "frame, note, and set aperture" when used with other M42 lenses. A "follow needle" viewfinder display is common with shutter priority exposure automation, though this one is unique. You can download a copy of the manual from Butkus site (donation suggested).

Ricoh Auto TLS EE user manual, instruction manual

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-18-2019 at 04:47 PM.
05-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It has shutter-priority exposure automation (i.e. Tv mode)
thank you Steve
05-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go figure

The Canon AE-1 had a similar "transfer the reading" method for manual exposure.
Manual exposure seemed an afterthought but apparently most users didn't mind.
Not the only inconvenient feature of that model, yet it was a great sales success.

Chris
06-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
hahahaha! alrighty then......after reading some of the manual that Steve provided for the EE version....turns out the shutter needs to be cocked for the meter to be active! once cocked it seems to meter in the ballpark (and prolly closer than what I think) although it is quite different adjusting by a scaled f-stop versus speed!!! also there is no 'blue' plastic on the meter scale as with the EE version.....

it is truly fascinating the differences in essentially the same functions how different cameras operate!!! next will be the interesting use of the winder lever on a mamiya/sekor dtl-1000 I am expecting.....a 'pull then push' kinda thing on the winder lever as I gather from some material I have read

06-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, that's a weird way to do it lol
Some of Ricoh's K-mount film cameras you have to pull out the Film advance lever a bit from the body to activate the meter, similiar to Mamiya's DTL series camera's (also the same with their DSX & MSX series cameras)

---------- Post added 06-08-19 at 02:12 PM ----------

Yeah, the Mamiya DTL is a weird one to get used too also. I have a a Sears TLS 1000 MX (rebadged Mamiya MSX 1000) that's similiar to the DTL series, and its gonna be awhile for me to get used to it lol
06-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Some of Ricoh's K-mount film cameras you have to pull out the Film advance lever a bit from the body to activate the meter
...same as some Pentax and Nikon cameras (other brands too). Pentax even made a few models where the only way to turn the meter off was to put a lens cap on!

The worst I own is the Minolta SRT-101 where the meter switch is on the bottom plate and is requires a twisting motion against a flat knurled metal circle to one of three positions...rough on the fingertip.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-08-2019 at 02:25 PM.
06-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, the Mamiya DTL is a weird one to get used too also. I have a a Sears TLS 1000 MX (rebadged Mamiya MSX 1000) that's similiar to the DTL series, and its gonna be awhile for me to get used to it lol
hahaha! yep.....a fun experience it will be!

same as some Pentax and Nikon cameras (other brands too). Pentax even made a few models where the only way to turn the meter off was to put a lens cap on
the sears/ricoh KS1000 using the pull the lever out slightly to activate the meter and the almighty K-1000 is of course cap on/cap off for the meter!
06-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
K-1000 is of course cap on/cap off for the meter!
Which it inherited from the Spotmatic F.
06-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
neat did not know!
06-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
...and shares with the KM...

Steve
06-08-2019, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yeah, the Mamiya DTL is a weird one to get used too also.
Stand off the wind lever and press back in to stop down the lens and activate the meter. Push the button on the top of the wind lever to allow it to go back to its rest position.

Steve
06-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Stand off the wind lever and press back in to stop down the lens and activate the meter. Push the button on the top of the wind lever to allow it to go back to its rest position.
that's how I understand it from reading....hopefully be able to put into practice when I get it!