Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #1

Confused about Step down level and the use of Manual and Auto Switch on the F.

Hello,

I have both SMC and non SMC lenses. What position should the SMC lens and the camera be on for appropriate metering? I am guessing Auto and Stepdown level up? What about for non SMC lenses? I can't believe I am having this much trouble with this. I have gotten the manual/auto switch stuck a few times on the 17 f/4. Figured out how to move it again, but I just want to know what I should do for this lens on the F.

Thanks

05-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Do you have a copy of the Spotmatic F manual? It has full instructions for both lens types. Below is a link to a free PDF copy:

Pentax Manuals | M42 Cameras

As for the auto/manual switch on S-M-C/SMC Takumar lenses, there is a strict caution. Never force the switch and never attempt to move it when mounted to your Spotmatic F, ES, or ES II. The same applies off-camera with no rear cap in place. The reason is there is a small interlock pin on the lens flange face intended to enforce auto operation on the Spotmatic F and other bodies supporting open-aperture metering. A full explanation is in the manual available at the linked page above (pages 20-23).

Steve
05-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! So for the SMC lenses keep it on Auto and keep the lever down. For non-SMC lenses move the lever up and Keep it on Auto?
05-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by bladexngt Quote
Hello,

I have both SMC and non SMC lenses. What position should the SMC lens and the camera be on for appropriate metering? I am guessing Auto and Stepdown level up? What about for non SMC lenses? I can't believe I am having this much trouble with this. I have gotten the manual/auto switch stuck a few times on the 17 f/4. Figured out how to move it again, but I just want to know what I should do for this lens on the F.

Thanks
To clarify, when you say SMC and non SMC, are you talking about M42 lenses only? For K-mount lenses, the coating doesn't affect operation (rather it's the mount type).

In any case, here's the full guide to using manual lenses. The steps will work for any lens as they also cover the diaphragm clutch:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

If the lens is an A-series K-mount lens or newer (and has an "A" setting on the aperture ring, or no aperture ring at all), then all metering is done electronically and you can just leave the aperture ring set to "A".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
M42 mount lenses only being mounted on Spotmatic F. I also use them on the A7III, no issues there.
05-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bladexngt Quote
Thanks! So for the SMC lenses keep it on Auto and keep the lever down. For non-SMC lenses move the lever up and Keep it on Auto?
Yes, that is how it is done. The Auto/Man switch on the lens is left in the Auto position almost all the time. The only reason to use the manual setting is when the lens is mounted on a bellows or extension rings or when adapted to other than an M42 camera.

Steve