Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ME Super 1/2000 caping

I picked up an ME Super this week on eBay...$34 with aftermarket winder. The winder still had batteries and they had exploded long ago...I'm in the process of cleaning it...no loss either way as I've found these aftermarket ME winder to be crap mostly...

To the issue at hand... The ME Super is not bad...maybe a 7/10 cosmetically with no dents and most of it's paint. Everything works...except 1/2000th speed is caping. I'd expect 1/1000 to possibly have uneven exposure as a result of the same issue... Curtain #1 is not dropping fast enough for 1/2000. I tried lubing bottom exposed moving parts and it helped a little...I'm seeing 1/2 the frame getting light.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

I'm not that big a fan of this camera, which is why I only spent $34 and I wouldn't pay to have it serviced. I might open it up myself for something not too difficult. I have the tools and a spare jammed body to practice on.

05-27-2019, 03:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi there! First let me say that i love the ME Super, it really is a camera with a character!
I had the same problem as you not long ago, my 1/2000 pics would come out blank, not exposed at all. while reading the service manual of the camera i saw something interesting. the "shutter cocked" indicator, a small pinhole window next to the winding lever might get stuck. the service manual. indicates that the spring of the indicator affects the 1/2000 speed. When I CLA-ed my camera i lubricated this part also and now it seems to function. also, the spring on my camera was bent the other way around.If you want the manual just google Me Super service manual, its easy to find.
05-29-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Hi there! First let me say that i love the ME Super, it really is a camera with a character!
I had the same problem as you not long ago, my 1/2000 pics would come out blank, not exposed at all. while reading the service manual of the camera i saw something interesting. the "shutter cocked" indicator, a small pinhole window next to the winding lever might get stuck. the service manual. indicates that the spring of the indicator affects the 1/2000 speed. When I CLA-ed my camera i lubricated this part also and now it seems to function. also, the spring on my camera was bent the other way around.If you want the manual just google Me Super service manual, its easy to find.
Thank ..I'll take a look.