Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-25-2019, 09:42 PM   #1

Getting back to my roots... now I have twins.

For the past few months I have been using Canon DSLRs. While they are a good camera I wasn't getting enjoyment out of using them. Thats not to say they are a bad camera, they just didnt give inspiring results for me at least.I have since sold them both , and bought another Pentax MZ model. Rather than repeat everything here, there is more to be found here.. My Pentax Cameras

I will document my journey with these two cameras, plus I will still be using my Fuji HS20 and my Samsung Smartphone which lately seems smarter than me :P

From time to time and when I can prize it from her hands I will use my wifes's Samsung Note9. As a pocket camera its a pretty handy unit.

Anyone with a MZ is more than welcome to contribute as well. When I first started out in photography professionally in 1973 we used Mamiaya studio and 35 mm cameras as well as Praktica and Pentax SLR's for candid work. So until I retire I'm not spending hard earned cash on any more digital, at least not until I see a Fuji XH2 or XH3. Then I may have to be dragged out of the camera store before I become a slobbering mess

05-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good luck on your journey with film, like you I got fed up with digital and went back to film. At times its frustrating but I actually ENJOY taking pictures again.
05-26-2019, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
Yes that was what I found missing, the enjoyment factor.
I also like the anticipation of seeing the results a few days later and to find out if I actually got what I was trying to achieve.
05-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
My Canon EOS 5D (Mk:1) comes in handy for copying negatives.

05-26-2019, 11:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell W. Barnes Quote
My Canon EOS 5D (Mk:1) comes in handy for copying negatives.
I have a very good photo-lab nearby that scans all my negs and the charges are very reasonable. I would however like my own film scanner at some point as I have a lot of old canisters that have been developed but not scanned.
05-27-2019, 04:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am completely with you. I had more fun taking pictures in analog times as well. I still like the easy workflow. No ISO to look for, no whitebalance to check, no autofocus going amiss. I never had any issues with exposure while shooting slides. They were okay or a total fail. The major problem of the analog times is also the same: Every shot costs. Luckily I know can buy the M primes very cheap.

The MZ-6 really is a nice camera. I liked the MZ-7 (its predecessor) of my wife a lot. More then my Super A of which I was very proud. The MZ-7 was so easy to use. It had all a camera needed including TTL flash. The green program really works fantastic. The only thing I did not like was the autofocus. But that was much more realiable then the one of my K10D now is.

Have fun and please share some of your pictures.
05-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
I am completely with you. I had more fun taking pictures in analog times as well. I still like the easy workflow. No ISO to look for, no whitebalance to check, no autofocus going amiss. I never had any issues with exposure while shooting slides. They were okay or a total fail. The major problem of the analog times is also the same: Every shot costs. Luckily I know can buy the M primes very cheap.

The MZ-6 really is a nice camera. I liked the MZ-7 (its predecessor) of my wife a lot. More then my Super A of which I was very proud. The MZ-7 was so easy to use. It had all a camera needed including TTL flash. The green program really works fantastic. The only thing I did not like was the autofocus. But that was much more realiable then the one of my K10D now is.

Have fun and please share some of your pictures.
Isn't it weird how digital creates more things to worry about when taking photos. I think it was the simplicity of analogue that I have been missing.

Initially I thought it was a bit expensive but when I look at how much something like the XT-3 and some good XF lenses would cost me, for the same amount of money its going to take me years shooting film before I match the thousands I would spend on going to a top of the line mirrorless.

As I'm fast approaching retirement the reality is the next digital setup I get will need to last me till I am physically unable to pursue the hobby.
In the mean time I want to devout more time to actually capturing images good enough to print at A4 ( my normal print size ) or bigger.

06-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I find the biggest downer for me with digital is the vast reams of images that I then have to download and look at. A days outing turns into a whole weekend having to plough through dozens of pictures, and it becomes a pain sitting in front of a PC.

Recent film shots have been much faster, quick flip through the pics and in a few minutes I have the two or three that would be worth scanning, no more messing about with 200 chimped pics.

I’ll still use my point and shoot digital for happy snappy stuff and it was useful on a recent packpacking holiday where keeping the weight down took priority, even then I packed an old Konica rangefinder, few of the pics from it worked out but I had fun just using it.

Plus as you say at the prices of film cameras you can get quite a lot of kit for a fraction of the cost of decemg digital, my entire collection of film cameras has cost less han one serious digital.