Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2019, 05:25 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Have you seen light leak like this one?

My Pentax Spotmatic with Super-Multicoated Takumar 50 1.4 and 2 filters attached ND4 + Circular Polarizer produced this strange light leak 2 times in a single roll and I was wondering about the reason for this. Did anybody seen a leak like this? Maybe this is mirror doing something? Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
OpticFilm 120  Photo 
05-28-2019, 05:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

was it a long exposure? it could come from the viewfinder.
05-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #3

I used to have that exact type of light leak with a 6x12 holder I used to use on my Arca Swiss. It turned out that the dark slide wouldnt always seat right and allowed stray light to enter the holder. I used to place my dark cloth over the holder and this solved the problem (most of the time). Your light leak looks like it is coming from the right side -- you could try shielding the camera on this side through a test roll -- if it solves the problem you'll know what needs to be fixed to solve the problem (my guess is the hinge apparatus is not 100% light tight.
05-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was having general film fogging issues with my K1000 many years ago and it was diagnosed as the foam seals around the mirror when it was up during an exposure having deteriorated. Replacing the foam fixed the problem.

Not Certain if this would cause you're specific problem but it's worth a look.

05-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
was it a long exposure? it could come from the viewfinder.
No, it was 1/1000 second exposure

---------- Post added 05-28-19 at 08:44 AM ----------

It is really hard to understand. If the image is recorded on film upside-down it was fogged by a light leak or stray reflection from viewfinder or whatever right in the middle of the film while the bottom part of the film (the top part during exposure while in camera) received correct exposure. The next frame is all exposed evenly and correctly.
05-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cameracravings Quote
No, it was 1/1000 second exposure
Form the picture it didn't look like it but I was asking because you had the ND filter on. Nevertheless the straight line reminds me of the one I have seen in long exposures because of the viewfinder.
05-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have seen similar due to reflection from the underside of the mirror on my Ricoh Singlex TLS in bright snowy conditions, but doubt that is the problem here. Did you do your own processing, by any chance?

FWIW...the continuation of the bench edge over the foreground people is just a little too exact. I also noted shutter capping (dark area at left). Might you post the other effected frame?

Steve
05-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Form the picture it didn't look like it but I was asking because you had the ND filter on. Nevertheless the straight line reminds me of the one I have seen in long exposures because of the viewfinder.
Thanks Sergy!

I think I am going to experiment with strong light through viewfinder and some high speed video to see if I can spot the problem! Thanks again. I will post the findings

---------- Post added 05-28-19 at 09:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have seen similar due to reflection from the underside of the mirror on my Ricoh Singlex TLS in bright snowy conditions, but doubt that is the problem here. Did you do your own processing, by any chance?

FWIW...the continuation of the bench edge over the foreground people is just a little too exact. I also noted shutter capping (dark area at left). Might you post the other effected frame?

Steve
Hi Steve,

Yes I processed my own b&w film. All frames were fine except for 2. You mention light coming from underside of mirror. Did you think the light somehow through the bottom plate?

My problem seems to be intermittent and not permanent. I am leaning towards viewfinder theory.

05-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes I processed my own b&w film.
This sort of leak is not uncommon with reusable cassettes, when loading reels, and/or daylight tank problems.

I am leaning towards viewfinder theory.
Unlikely for a short exposure, particularly if you had your eye to the viewfinder. How are your film door seals, particularly at the hinge end?

Steve
05-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If the exposure time is very short, leaks around viewfinder and the mirror won't have an affect.

One key question to help diagnose light leaks is: is the leak confined to the exposed rectangle of the image or does it spread past the frame borders (between frames or into the sprocket margins)?

If the leak is strictly within the frame, the leak is likely between the film and the lens (shutter pinholes, mirror box issues, lens mount issues, lens stray light, filter problems, etc.)

If the leak extends past the frame edge, the leak is probably behind the film (door seals, warped back, etc.)

In this case of the line of leak, one possibility might be a leak in the hinge area. Check the alignment of the gaps between the hinge knuckles and this leak and also see if the leak extends past the frame edges.
05-28-2019, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If the leak extends past the frame edge, the leak is probably behind the film (door seals, warped back, etc.)
...or happened outside the camera.

Steve
05-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was there a lot of time between the shots where the leak occurred?

I have a MF camera that leaks enough on a bright day to fog film if I don't wind it on quickly enough, so I have to shoot a whole roll at once or it will fog whatever frame is in front of the lens...
It makes for a weird shooting style...

-Eric
05-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If the exposure time is very short, leaks around viewfinder and the mirror won't have an affect.

One key question to help diagnose light leaks is: is the leak confined to the exposed rectangle of the image or does it spread past the frame borders (between frames or into the sprocket margins)?

If the leak is strictly within the frame, the leak is likely between the film and the lens (shutter pinholes, mirror box issues, lens mount issues, lens stray light, filter problems, etc.)

In this case of the line of leak, one possibility might be a leak in the hinge area. Check the alignment of the gaps between the hinge knuckles and this leak and also see if the leak extends past the frame edges.
Yes, the leak is confined to the picture plane / frame no bleeds beyond. I am going to sign off untill I open the camera. Thank you everybody for ideas! Really appreciate this. Will report back with my findings. Needless to say I HAVE to fix the camera! Thanks again
Alex
05-28-2019, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Might also throw out the possibility of a pinhole in the shutter curtain. The stripe-like character of the edge suggests such.

Steve
05-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Might also throw out the possibility of a pinhole in the shutter curtain. The stripe-like character of the edge suggests such.

Steve
Yes, Steve, basically right now it looks like there are 2 possible theories -- light leak from the viewfinder or from the front of the camera. I will investigate