Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2019, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I got one of Jon's kits for a Ricoh and didn't really like what I got.
Hmmm...I have done three Ricohs with his kits and the mirror damper was equivalent in thickness and material to the original.* Did you contact Jon about your impression?

Steve

* The foam for my two XR7s was admittedly sort of flattish and dense, but so was the original.

05-31-2019, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Didn't see a reason to bother him. On the XR7 I had a local shop do a basic clean and function check of the camera. At that time they put in a mirror damper of unknown origin.
06-01-2019, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #18

Never had any issues with Goodman or Aki Asahi. I get the black synthetic #4003 or #4001 or whatever, it's good. Painting a metal camera is just going to make it look bad, imo.
06-02-2019, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is a difficult question to answer if there is no previous experience. The short answer is that the kits are fully custom, have all the pieces using proper materials and thicknesses, and have detailed instructions to allow as easy a time possible even for complete noobs.

Steve
Do you, or anyone else, know if Jon ships to Australia? I'm not even sure where he's located...

06-02-2019, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Do you, or anyone else, know if Jon ships to Australia? I'm not even sure where he's located...
You can email him at: jon_goodman@yahoo.com
He's located in Dallas, Texas
He sends the kit + great instructions in a First Class Mail envelope, should cost $2.13 to Australia.
06-02-2019, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peter82 Quote
He doesn't have a website, just email him at jgood21967@aol.com.
QuoteOriginally posted by blumoon722 Quote
You can email him at: jon_goodman@yahoo.com
He's located in Dallas, Texas
He sends the kit + great instructions in a First Class Mail envelope, should cost $2.13 to Australia.
Can anyone confirm which email is current?
06-02-2019, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can anyone confirm which email is current?
jon_goodman@yahoo.com
This email was good at the end of March

06-02-2019, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #23

Oh! You can use Purell unscented hand sanitizer to position the replacement coverings and the sticky foam in the back slots. It will inhibit the stickyness and then evaporate.
06-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchu Quote
Never had any issues with Goodman or Aki Asahi. I get the black synthetic #4003 or #4001 or whatever, it's good. Painting a metal camera is just going to make it look bad, imo.
Thanks for the input!

I'd be repainting the trim above and bellow the leatherette, not any other parts of the camera.

---------- Post added 06-02-19 at 07:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchu Quote
Oh! You can use Purell unscented hand sanitizer to position the replacement coverings and the sticky foam in the back slots. It will inhibit the stickyness and then evaporate.
Ah, that'd probably work too.

Aki-Asahi has a YouTube channel, and they show using plain water for positioning the seals and leather, so I'd probably end up doing that.
06-11-2019, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

The sticky seals are a real headache on K series cameras I have found. The top cover tends to slighktly over hang the door seal channel at the top of the camera making it hard to get a sticky seal in. Jons seals go in easier bit its easiest of all to just take the top cover off. Be super careful with the cover off though, you dint want to bust anything and its easily done by putting fingers where they shouldnt be.
06-16-2019, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've bought from him, quite a few years ago though. He sent it to me in Perth (WA) and it was just a small envelope so probably was cheap. Seems like a nice guy and the seals were good too. Pretty sure that he is located somewhere in the US, perhaps a central or southern state?
06-16-2019, 11:25 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
I've bought from him, quite a few years ago though. He sent it to me in Perth (WA) and it was just a small envelope so probably was cheap. Seems like a nice guy and the seals were good too. Pretty sure that he is located somewhere in the US, perhaps a central or southern state?
I got through to Jon via email and he does post to Aus at a very reasonable price.