Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2018
Photos: Albums
Posts: 206
Any tips for refinishing a K1000?

I have a K1000 SE, but the leatherette is peeling a bit, the enamel on the trim is mostly chipped away, and the light seals are more light than seals.

Aki-Asahi has ready made kits for both the leatherette and light seals. Should I get them from there, or are there better options?

I'm not too sure what to do for the enamel. I'd think painting something on by hand would work best, but I'm unsure what sort of paint to use.

05-28-2019, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 13,327
I'd suggest using the best quality light seals you can obtain, and simply re-glue the original leatherette using a light rubber cement such as Elmer's. As for the worn enamel, there's years of experience, enjoyment and history in that patina. I would learn to love it just as it is
05-28-2019, 05:17 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,997
QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
Aki-Asahi has ready made kits for both the leatherette and light seals.
I am a huge fan of Aki-Asahi's camera coverings. Their materials are first rate and the kit includes a practice set (ugly skin) and excellent instructions. Below is my Spotmatic dressed in their Red Lizard Embossed cowhide. I believe it took me about 35 minutes to apply.


This material may be discontinued, but if you like it, there is no harm done in asking.

As for light seals, I remain a firm fan of Jon Goodman and his excellent and very affordable kits. He used to charge $10 USD, postage included, but even if he were charging $20 USD, they would still be the best value available.


Steve
05-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2018
Photos: Albums
Posts: 206
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd suggest using the best quality light seals you can obtain, and simply re-glue the original leatherette using a light rubber cement such as Elmer's. As for the worn enamel, there's years of experience, enjoyment and history in that patina. I would learn to love it just as it is
Do you have any suggestions for light seals?
The leatherette either wasn't cut correctly or has shrunk over time, there are gaps along the edges where it should be. I'd still be keeping the old leatherette if I replaced it.
I've noticed a small amount of corrosion on the now-exposed iron/steel where the trim used to cover. I'm wanting to repaint it to inhibit any further corrosion. And While I can appreciate some patina, the trim paint is just falling off and there will be little left if I continue to use the camera.

Thank you for the input!

---------- Post added 05-28-19 at 07:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am a huge fan of Aki-Asahi's camera coverings. Their materials are first rate and the kit includes a practice set (ugly skin) and excellent instructions. Below is my Spotmatic dressed in their Red Lizard Embossed cowhide. I believe it took me about 35 minutes to apply.


This material may be discontinued, but if you like it, there is no harm done in asking.

As for light seals, I remain a firm fan of Jon Goodman and his excellent and very affordable kits. He used to charge $10 USD, postage included, but even if he were charging $20 USD, they would still be the best value available.


Steve
That Spotmatic turned out very well! I'd guess the K1000 would take even less time as it's even simpler.
I was thinking of getting the Black Crinkled Emboss because it isn't too flashy and would probably go well with the camera. Nice to hear that they give you a practice set!

Do you have a link to Jon Goodman's light seals?


Thank you!

05-28-2019, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote

Do you have a link to Jon Goodman's light seals?

He doesn't have a website, just email him at jgood21967@aol.com.
05-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2018
Photos: Albums
Posts: 206
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by peter82 Quote
He doesn't have a website, just email him at jgood21967@aol.com.
Ah ok, thanks!

What is it that make his seals better than other offerings?
05-28-2019, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,997
QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
What is it that make his seals better than other offerings?
That is a difficult question to answer if there is no previous experience. The short answer is that the kits are fully custom, have all the pieces using proper materials and thicknesses, and have detailed instructions to allow as easy a time possible even for complete noobs.


Steve
05-28-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2018
Photos: Albums
Posts: 206
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is a difficult question to answer if there is no previous experience. The short answer is that the kits are fully custom, have all the pieces using proper materials and thicknesses, and have detailed instructions to allow as easy a time possible even for complete noobs.


Steve
Arlight.
Do you know if the kit comes with multiple sets of foam in-case you mess something up, or would it be pretty hard to?

05-29-2019, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 242
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What is it that make his seals better than other offerings?
His door seals do not have the adhesive back which make them much easier to use. Plus they come with great instructions.
Aki-Asahi's kits do come 3 sets on a sheet and are nicely done, but the door seal have the sticky back and can be a pain to get in the grooves.
05-29-2019, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #10
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
Arlight.
Do you know if the kit comes with multiple sets of foam in-case you mess something up, or would it be pretty hard to?
No, other than the fact there is a little more length to the door seals than what you need. The upper door seal will require a cut to leave a gap for the film counter reset.
05-29-2019, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,997
QuoteOriginally posted by blumoon722 Quote
but the door seal have the sticky back and can be a pain to get in the grooves.
Yep...They tend to roll over sideways and get stuck that way. Jon's strips just press into the grooves and stay there.


Steve
05-29-2019, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lawrence, KS
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,478
I got one of Jon's kits for a Ricoh and didn't really like what I got. Mirror damper pad was really thin and small, door seals were very narrow, etc. I ended up getting a 3mm and 1.5mm thick pair of sheets of camera door seal foam off of Amazon for about $20 total. Enough material to do dozens of cameras and I cut it with a rotary cutter. If you cannot borrow a rotary cutter (common in quilt making and other fabric cutting tasks) and guide to cut along it might not make as much sense to go that way. For what I'm doing, I'm up to four cameras done now, and am happy with the results.

If there's corrosion of the metal, you'll have to remove it through sanding or chemical rust removal, or else it just comes back. If you don't want to do that (and I wouldn't blame you if you don't) then I wouldn't bother trying to hide the corrosion with paint.

I really should try to redo the leather on my k-mount film cameras. I don't think Aki-Asahi makes a pre-cut kit for my Ricoh XR7 and I know they don't for my Chinon. Might be fun to try some different colors for them besides black.
05-29-2019, 06:40 PM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2018
Photos: Albums
Posts: 206
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blumoon722 Quote
His door seals do not have the adhesive back which make them much easier to use. Plus they come with great instructions.
Aki-Asahi's kits do come 3 sets on a sheet and are nicely done, but the door seal have the sticky back and can be a pain to get in the grooves.
The instructions for the Aki-Asahi seals suggest using alcohol to delay the adhesive while putting in the seals.

---------- Post added 05-29-19 at 06:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by peter82 Quote
No, other than the fact there is a little more length to the door seals than what you need. The upper door seal will require a cut to leave a gap for the film counter reset.
Ah, right. Forgot about the film counter. Thanks for the reminder!

---------- Post added 05-29-19 at 06:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I got one of Jon's kits for a Ricoh and didn't really like what I got. Mirror damper pad was really thin and small, door seals were very narrow, etc. I ended up getting a 3mm and 1.5mm thick pair of sheets of camera door seal foam off of Amazon for about $20 total. Enough material to do dozens of cameras and I cut it with a rotary cutter. If you cannot borrow a rotary cutter (common in quilt making and other fabric cutting tasks) and guide to cut along it might not make as much sense to go that way. For what I'm doing, I'm up to four cameras done now, and am happy with the results.

If there's corrosion of the metal, you'll have to remove it through sanding or chemical rust removal, or else it just comes back. If you don't want to do that (and I wouldn't blame you if you don't) then I wouldn't bother trying to hide the corrosion with paint.

I really should try to redo the leather on my k-mount film cameras. I don't think Aki-Asahi makes a pre-cut kit for my Ricoh XR7 and I know they don't for my Chinon. Might be fun to try some different colors for them besides black.
Glad your custom seals have been working out well!

For the corrosion, I wasn't planning on hiding it with paint; it's very mild and won't be an issue to clean up. I'd be painting after cleaning it.

For your XR7 and Chinon, maybe you could buy a kit from Aki-Asahi and retrofit it to them?
05-29-2019, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,688
I've used skins from Camera Leather to re-cover both my Autocord and M2 and found them very good quality. They do a kit for the K1000.

Other's have reported some communication issues with Camera Leather but personally I've had no problems.

This was my M2 getting new clothes ('Levant Black' leather)



05-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2018
Photos: Albums
Posts: 206
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I've used skins from Camera Leather to re-cover both my Autocord and M2 and found them very good quality. They do a kit for the K1000.

Other's have reported some communication issues with Camera Leather but personally I've had no problems.

This was my M2 getting new clothes ('Levant Black' leather)


Thanks for the suggestion. Your M2 looks pretty sharp!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aki-asahi, camera, cameras, corrosion, counter, cut, door, film, instructions, jon, k1000, leatherette, light, light seal replacement, paint, practice, refinish, seals, spotmatic, trim, usd
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K1000 vs. K1000 SE JordanBraz Pentax Film SLR Discussion 11 05-07-2018 02:27 PM
You get a k1000, you get a k1000! disconnekt Pentax Film SLR Discussion 26 04-15-2018 01:17 PM
any tips on using the Pentax K1000 wetigers Photographic Technique 5 05-17-2014 10:17 PM
Camera & Lens cosmetic refinishing vanchaz2002 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 12-22-2008 03:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top