Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #61
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My new Pentax KM ($40) is a K1000 with DOF preview.

When I shot Nikon I had FM and later FM2n cameras. The FM2 screen is indeed a bit brighter, but not as bright as a Pentax M series camera.
The Nikon shutter is loud enough to wake the dead. Add the MD11/MD12 and you'll have a noisemaker suitable for a New Year's Eve party!

Chris
I'll have to try an M series at some point - yeah that Nikon shutter is loud. I have the MD12, I never use it because It's heavier then all git out, takes 6 or 8 batteries and would make the loudest noise maker for a new year's eve party.

10-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
Figured I could start a new thread, but since the conversation is still moving along, and it does go with my objective of obtaining a film camera...what do you think about this?

I thought about this and it made perfect sense. Would the film and lens not be more important than the camera body, given that the body functions properly? I'm also guessing the light meter is quite important.

Your thoughts?
As a friend of mine once put it, "You can shoot out of a shoebox if it's light-tight; it's the lens that matters." Indeed the lens and choice of film have more to do with your results than the "light-tight box." As for the light meter, nothing beats one of these:

Luna-pro sbc light meter, instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

If you use a hand held incident light meter, you'll always get accurate exposures (any reflected light metering system, no matter how sophisticated, can be fooled, since they all rely on the same basic "everything averages to neutral gray" assumption).

My choice for film bodies is the LX, with the Winder LX (never liked the power options for the Motor Drive LX) and the all-essential "Grip B." The only thing I think it could use is a vertical shutter release button on the Winder, but that's a minor quibble. The MX would be a tad small for my taste as well (as some others have indicated), since I find I need more room for my relatively large hands. I still have my original K1000 (received as a 21st birthday present), but once you shoot with an LX you just don't want to shoot with anything else.