Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2019, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Gold" Pentax H3

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi

I came across a nice try to sell a "gold" body Pentax H3 for almost 600$. It looks like it is a black body that someone has taken the task of stripping off the black paint, to expose the brass. The same seller also have a Pentax S with a dent in the prism for over 2400$. Claiming that a mint body would sell for $2000 alone. Just to bad his copy isn't a mint body.

I have tried to communicate with the seller, but he became really ***&&&!!! not so happy.

Well well.
So anyone else seen a gold H3 before?

Photo from the eBay posting.

Attached Images

06-03-2019, 08:06 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this belongs in my worst of thread...

The worst of Craigslist/Shopgoodwill/eBay etc. - PentaxForums.com
06-03-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reminds me of something I saw a while back were someone on eBay selling some old spotmatics that they distressed to look like in their words "press cameras". They were claiming similar high prices and the work to distress them was really bad so it looked all sorts of cheesy with lots of wear in places where there should be little to none and in places where there should have been wear it was missing.

In this case I'm surprised they didn't get out the buffing/polishing wheel and do it up real nice, instead that just looks like some 220 grit effort.
06-03-2019, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Well well.
So anyone else seen a gold H3 before?
How about a gold K1000?

This one was not for sale, but represents what happens when a repair tech is bored.

Steve

06-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This reminds me of the ultra-polished Soviet lenses I so often encounter when searching eBay for interesting glass for my collection. A little piece of me dies every time I see one...
06-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just wrong. Amazed at how some people can continue to look in the mirror. Scum abound.
06-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That guy has been mentioned in the forums a few times for his adds and his manners. I don't know whether he is a user here or not but he has lied in his descriptions more than once.

06-03-2019, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
That guy has been mentioned in the forums a few times for his adds and his manners. I don't know whether he is a user here or not but he has lied in his descriptions more than once.
Ah, yes. I believe he even joined briefly and - if I remember correctly - ended up being banned.

Hi auctions usually contain the disclaimer "My intent in selling this item is not for its use, but to be a visual display piece in a collection" - or, as I like to summarise it, "Run like the wind!"
06-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Reminds me of the movie Austin Powers Goldmember, "I Love Goooollldd"
06-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wanting to prove P.T. Barnum was right, ie. "there's a sucker born every minute".
06-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This reminds me of the ultra-polished Soviet lenses I so often encounter when searching eBay for interesting glass for my collection. A little piece of me dies every time I see one...
IDK whether this kind of alteration / customization is really so objectionable. A fair number of members have had lenses de-anodized* and re-lettered as part of a CLA. Certainly it would be wrong to misrepresent a silvered lens’ provenance, but having it done shouldn’t be a problem.

* I have two (A50/1.2 and K135/2.5) both of which had significant ‘road rash’ before their restomods.
06-03-2019, 12:10 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IDK whether this kind of alteration / customization is really so objectionable. A fair number of members have had lenses de-anodized* and re-lettered as part of a CLA. Certainly it would be wrong to misrepresent a silvered lens’ provenance, but having it done shouldn’t be a problem.

* I have two (A50/1.2 and K135/2.5) both of which had significant ‘road rash’ before their restomods.
I've seen your lenses.... at least, I know I've seen the A50/1.2, and it's beautiful.

Perhaps I should have been a little more specific. I don't mind classy restorations, even resto-mods - especially if the item could be restored back, or close, to original if next owner so desired. My pet hate is when vintage, collectable items (lenses in particular, because that's my "thing") are polished so heavily with enough material removed that engravings start to disappear and square edges become rounded.

I don't have a problem with folks liking and buying those sorts of items. It's their money, and if they get enjoyment from their purchases, that's great. But as a collector, I cringe when I see a perfectly serviceable lens in original condition tarted up with a heavy-handed polishing job (like THIS - a nice 13 blade Helios-44 done up like a dog's dinner ). The problem is mine, I realise. But I can't help it
06-03-2019, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've seen your lenses.... at least, I know I've seen the A50/1.2, and it's beautiful.

Perhaps I should have been a little more specific. I don't mind classy restorations, even resto-mods - especially if the item could be restored back, or close, to original if next owner so desired. My pet hate is when vintage, collectable items (lenses in particular, because that's my "thing") are polished so heavily with enough material removed that engravings start to disappear and square edges become rounded.

I don't have a problem with folks liking and buying those sorts of items. It's their money, and if they get enjoyment from their purchases, that's great. But as a collector, I cringe when I see a perfectly serviceable lens in original condition tarted up with a heavy-handed polishing job (like THIS - a nice 13 blade Helios-44 done up like a dog's dinner ). The problem is mine, I realise. But I can't help it
I understand and I agree. Some things are worth preserving. In contrast to the scratched up lenses above I bought a CZ Ultron 1,8/50 in mechanically molested condition, had it disassembled and operationally restored to LN condition, but I left the exterior untouched to retain the original markings and patina.
06-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I understand and I agree. Some things are worth preserving. In contrast to the scratched up lenses above I bought a CZ Ultron 1,8/50 in mechanically molested condition, had it disassembled and operationally restored to LN condition, but I left the exterior untouched to retain the original markings and patina.
The weird thing is, I'm quite happy with old non-original cosmetic butchery... I have a Rubin-1 2.8/37-80 lens (designed for the Zenit-4, -5 and -6 cameras) that sports quite a number of paint touch-ups in a well- (but not perfectly-) matched black enamel. They were obviously applied decades ago, by the look of - and wear to - the touch-up paint. Strangely, I'm OK with that. Having watched many antiques programmes on television, it seems many collectors and dealers share my acceptance of aged non-originality...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-03-2019 at 03:29 PM.
06-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really enjoy when people take something raggedy and beat up and make it into something new and interesting.

Even when it’s something I may not like aesthetically, adding value to something that has lost it from a traditional perspective is neat.

That said, there are some reimaginings that make me cringe...

-Eric