Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2019, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This reminds me of the ultra-polished Soviet lenses I so often encounter when searching eBay for interesting glass for my collection. A little piece of me dies every time I see one...
Hmmmm...I know the treatment you are referring too, but as the owner of one rather shiny J-9 (yes, the lacquer is intact) I feel that there is a differentiation between buffing off tobacco residue while leaving the original finish intact and polishing off surface oxidation. Most of those lenses were fairly shiny new, but usually not the mirror finish seen on some examples.

Steve

06-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hmmmm...I know the treatment you are referring too, but as the owner of one rather shiny J-9 (yes, the lacquer is intact) I feel that there is a differentiation between buffing off tobacco residue while leaving the original finish intact and polishing off surface oxidation. Most of those lenses were fairly shiny new, but usually not the mirror finish seen on some examples.
LOL Yes, I think we're talking about the difference between cleaning / light buffing and the full-on "angle grinder" treatment... It's the latter I'm not especially keen on...

Seriously, I've seen some excellent refinishing jobs where restoration is light, and the brushed effect has been maintained or re-applied. In fact, I have an early 13-blade Helios-44 that still confounds me as to whether it's original or re-finished. I'd like to think it's original, but common sense tells me it's re-finished. If my suspicions are correct, I'm perfectly happy with the job. At the very least, it's a sympathetic effort...
06-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hi

I came across a nice try to sell a "gold" body Pentax H3 for almost 600$. It looks like it is a black body that someone has taken the task of stripping off the black paint, to expose the brass. The same seller also have a Pentax S with a dent in the prism for over 2400$. Claiming that a mint body would sell for $2000 alone. Just to bad his copy isn't a mint body.

I have tried to communicate with the seller, but he became really ***&&&!!! not so happy.

Well well.
So anyone else seen a gold H3 before?

Photo from the eBay posting.
I’ll be the first to say it...“sort of want”
06-03-2019, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote

I’ll be the first to say it...“sort of want”
At nearly $600? PM me... you'll need to give me a couple of weeks to source an H3 and work on it with some sandpaper and Cape Cod polishing cloths, but I think I can supply you with a nice goldy-lookin' H3 for just $500 (and, hey, I'll include shipping )

<I'm joking, of course >

06-03-2019, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The weird thing is, I'm quite happy with old non-original cosmetic butchery... I have a Rubin-1 2.8/37-80 lens (designed for the Zenit-4, -5 and -6 cameras) that sports quite a number of paint touch-ups in a well- (but not perfectly-) matched black enamel. They were obviously applied decades ago, by the look of - and wear to - the touch-up paint. Strangely, I'm OK with that. Having watched many antiques programmes on television, it seems many collectors and dealers share my acceptance of aged non-originality...
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I really enjoy when people take something raggedy and beat up and make it into something new and interesting.

Even when it’s something I may not like aesthetically, adding value to something that has lost it from a traditional perspective is neat.

That said, there are some reimaginings that make me cringe...

-Eric
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
My wife likes (and frequently buys) old furniture and decorative items (and needlework and artwork) that has been used but well cared for. These usage marks are character and could the pieces talk they would tell the stories of the former owners’ lives. To her, a nice used piece is far preferable to a faultless, pristine example. I have a similar attitude about lenses and film cameras. At the same time, tastefully refinishing a permanently marred lens - even an uncommon lens - is perfectly acceptable.
06-03-2019, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At nearly $600? PM me... you'll need to give me a couple of weeks to source an H3 and work on it with some sandpaper and Cape Cod polishing cloths, but I think I can supply you with a nice goldy-lookin' H3 for just $500 (and, hey, I'll include shipping )

<I'm joking, of course >
I have an angle grinder and an orbital sander. Can I help?
06-03-2019, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have an angle grinder and an orbital sander. Can I help?
If you can get rid of my hammer marks and throw in a Sharpie to fill in the engravings, then, sure - why not?

06-03-2019, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can get rid of my hammer marks and throw in a Sharpie to fill in the engravings, then, sure - why not?
"Mike's and Mark's Camera Bling" does have a certain ring to it.

This should fund us through retirement!
06-04-2019, 02:01 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ah, yes. I believe he even joined briefly and - if I remember correctly - ended up being banned.

Hi auctions usually contain the disclaimer "My intent in selling this item is not for its use, but to be a visual display piece in a collection" - or, as I like to summarise it, "Run like the wind!"
True...
I pointed out, via a message, for a post of an S with an Auto-Takumar 55mm f2. I said that the S was never sold with that lens, and that the lens wouldn't even work as intended. He basically told me to shut up.. But he did change the lens and placed a Takumar 35mm F4 on it instead. Which is much more correct.

It is even more funny, as the post expires, he increases the price of the object.

Anyway: This is his description on how this "gold" body came to happen:

"Every so often Asahi would come up with a marketing gimmick as did many other camera companies. Rolleiflex, Hasselblad, and Mamiya all made "Gold" plated cameras at one time or another.

While this example does show some tarnishing and pitting, I have no reason to believe it is not genuine, and that Asahi did in fact gold plate it. It would be too much work for it to be done aftermarket, especially on an H3 as opposed to an AP, S, K, or H2."

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 06-04-2019 at 02:03 AM. Reason: corrections
06-04-2019, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

<I'm joking, of course >
I was too....until you mentioned the hammer and sharpie
06-04-2019, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is now listed as polished brass...well some of the description. I asked if there was a hallmark yesterday and now its says chrome polished off to show gold coloured brass ;-) strange things on ebay!
06-04-2019, 02:50 PM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by limestonecowboy Quote
It is now listed as polished brass...well some of the description. I asked if there was a hallmark yesterday and now its says chrome polished off to show gold coloured brass ;-) strange things on ebay!
... and dropped to $329 Buy It Now... which is still way too much
06-04-2019, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
"Mike's and Mark's Camera Bling" does have a certain ring to it.
I've got a Dremel with a good set of bits, wheels, grinders, etc. Maybe I could be the last craftsman to work on the items -- you know, to engrave a 9-digit personal identification mark on it, maybe on the side of the prism housing.

- Craig
06-04-2019, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I've got a Dremel with a good set of bits, wheels, grinders, etc. Maybe I could be the last craftsman to work on the items -- you know, to engrave a 9-digit personal identification mark on it, maybe on the side of the prism housing.
Well, now, that's you, me and Mark... we're about ready to start crowd-funding
06-04-2019, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After I told the seller via the e-bay message system that it's not gold, I see he has changed his listing.
COLLECTORS BRASS HONEYWELL PENTAX H3 CAMERA w/F/1.8 55MM AUTO TAKUMAR LENS | eBay