Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14
How to determine Date of manufacture for Pentax K1000 ?

How does one determine the age (date manufactured) of a Pentax K1000?
Have an extremely clean Pentax K1000 and would like to know how old it is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
S/N 7835954

06-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian
jack002's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Missouri
Photos: Albums
Posts: 717
Google found this. Looks like there is no definitive answer
Flickr: Discussing How old? in Pentax K-1000 users and lovers (k1000)
06-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,613
There's no definitive way to know by the serial number alone, but if you look at some of the camera's features, you'll be able to tell where it was made at least. Over time, production was moved out of Japan.


K1000 Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 6,864
QuoteOriginally posted by brieck Quote
How does one determine the age (date manufactured) of a Pentax K1000?
Have an extremely clean Pentax K1000 and would like to know how old it is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
S/N 7835954
As Adam mentioned you can narrow the date down if let us know where the s/n is located on your K1000 and where it was made.

Phil.

06-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,302
A 78xxxxx serial is somewhere between 1984 and 1989, the Hong Kong period...
06-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A 78xxxxx serial is somewhere between 1984 and 1989, the Hong Kong period...
Thank you for your reply, was very helpful--------
06-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,740
run....from..............to..................years manufactured
1.........7 5xx xxx.....7 7xx xxx....1976 - 1978?
2........6 0xx xxx......6 9xx xxx....1977? - 1982
3........7 0xx xxx......7 4xx xxx....1982 - 1983
4........7 8xx xxx......8 4xx xxx....1984 - 1989?
5........4 xxx xxx......5 6xx xxx....1989? - 1997

So yes 4th series.

Mine is 7567273 therefore from '76 to '78, and with original lens kit, the K55mm f2.0 relatively rare because it was sold just with this camera. Supposedly they were made in Japan in the same production line of the KM and KX, while K2 and K2DMD were different designs.

And one of my first self portraits that I take as first shot to remember camera and lens used for a certain film.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SP-3000  Photo 

Last edited by Cuthbert; 06-13-2019 at 04:02 PM.
06-25-2019, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 38
QuoteOriginally posted by brieck Quote
S/N 7835954
The 78XXXXX prefix was used at two different periods of production. It was first used during the series I & series I / II transition period on a number of bodies. The 783XXXX prefix featured predominantly in this transition period.

However the 78XXXXX prefix in general was most predominantly used for the series III bodies.

With both of these periods the manufacturing location has nothing to do with the confirming the manufacturing period. K1000's were assembled in both Japan & Hong Kong during both of these periods.
There would be no duplicate serial numbers used in both production periods. There is random blocks of serial numbers with the 78XXXXX prefix in both periods.

Nearest confirmed purchase dates I have

series I -> series II transition period - 786XXXX - Confirmed purchase date of Dec 1978

Series III body - 7779XXX - Confirmed purchase date of Dec 1987

06-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,740
QuoteOriginally posted by Tool_Horder Quote
The 78XXXXX prefix was used at two different periods of production. It was first used during the series I & series I / II transition period on a number of bodies. The 783XXXX prefix featured predominantly in this transition period.

However the 78XXXXX prefix in general was most predominantly used for the series III bodies.

With both of these periods the manufacturing location has nothing to do with the confirming the manufacturing period. K1000's were assembled in both Japan & Hong Kong during both of these periods.
There would be no duplicate serial numbers used in both production periods. There is random blocks of serial numbers with the 78XXXXX prefix in both periods.

Nearest confirmed purchase dates I have

series I -> series II transition period - 786XXXX - Confirmed purchase date of Dec 1978

Series III body - 7779XXX - Confirmed purchase date of Dec 1987
Interesting, where did you get this info?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
date, k1000, pentax, pentax k1000
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
k1000 manufacture date Glenn Mayher Welcomes and Introductions 6 12-09-2018 04:23 PM
How to Determine a Lens Date of Manufacture? Glen Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 12-22-2017 12:39 AM
K-500 Manufacture Date paulpines Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 12-15-2015 01:53 PM
How-to: Check Pentax camera shutter count and manufacture date online Adam Pentax DSLR and Camera Articles 54 07-24-2014 06:44 PM
K-5 Date of Manufacture IIGQ4U Pentax K-5 6 09-21-2011 01:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top