Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #1

Just got my KX!... but it has meter issues

I just got my KX in the mail!!!

It even came with an M 50 1.7 in excellent condition attached to it!

I'm one very happy camper.

Unfortunately it's a bit worse for wear. The shutter is just fine, and the self timer, DOF preview, and MLU all work. But the light meter doesn't. I know about the stand off in the advance lever and all that, and I put fresh batteries in it. The battery check lever doesn't work either.

Do any of you guys know what's wrong with it?

(Oh, and the KX will be making a trip to Eric shortly, you can be sure of that! )

10-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
I just got my KX in the mail!!!

It even came with an M 50 1.7 in excellent condition attached to it!

I'm one very happy camper.

Unfortunately it's a bit worse for wear. The shutter is just fine, and the self timer, DOF preview, and MLU all work. But the light meter doesn't. I know about the stand off in the advance lever and all that, and I put fresh batteries in it. The battery check lever doesn't work either.

Do any of you guys know what's wrong with it?

(Oh, and the KX will be making a trip to Eric shortly, you can be sure of that! )
I think you just answered your own question - Eric will fix it, I understand. However, get a pencil eraser and clean the battery terminal in the camera and the inside of the cap that needs to make good contact with the battery. I did this every now and then with my KX when the needle wouldn't go. At least with that camera, even without a battery, you lose no functons at all. I really regret letting mine go, but now am more likely to pick up a back up k something d than another film camera to go with the two I have already.
10-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #3

Original Poster
I tried the pencil eraser trick, and it worked!

It turned out that there was so much corrosion/such a patina on the metal that it took me half an eraser and 20 minutes until the inside of the battery cover was shiny again. Now the meter is just fine!

A thousand thanks!

(The KX is still going to Eric, though. It needs it.)
10-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had the exact same problem with my KX. Only that I had corrosion on the battery cap threads. A gentle scrubbing with a small wire brush fixed it up very nicely.