Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2019, 02:55 AM   #1

ME Super - Mode Dial Troubles

Hi all,

I've been shooting on an ME Super for a few months now with almost no issues. I brought it on a camping and hiking trip this weekend, and towards the end I noticed that the shutter started firing improperly. It behaves as if it's set in bulb mode (i.e., shutters for however long the shutter is depressed). Because of the timing of this issue, I suspect I got some dust into the mode dial or maybe messed it up by having it in my bag together with a few other things. The mode dial also appears like it may be a little skewed/out of place; it is lifted up from the body a little in the back although to be honest it might have always been this way and I just never noticed.

I have been messing with it since noticing the issue. What is strange is that in manual mode it shutters correctly at 1/4 to 4s. But anything quicker it behaves as if it's set to B. I don't think it's a battery issue because the light meter is working, and the batteries are relatively new. Every once in a while I get it to work properly (at all speeds), but once I change modes it goes back to misbehaving.

I don't have any tools to repair it, and as I am in HI I don't think there's any repair places near me that I'm aware of. Is it possible to take off the mode dial without having to completely disassemble the top? I've done light seal replacements but I am not sure I would trust myself messing around the circuitry.

Thanks!

06-19-2019, 05:50 AM   #2

You can download the service manual from here:
Pentax Manuals

In most cases with manual focus cameras the dials and levers need to be removed before the top cover can be taken off. You will need special tools like spanner wrenches, JIS and small slotted screwdrivers.

You could try Eric Hendrickson, who repairs MEs:
Home-Pentaxs

You may want to review the various discussion threads concerning him first.

Or try some of the repair facilities listed here:
Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

Advance Camera and Garry's Camera Repair come to mind as those that would work on an ME.