Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2019, 01:00 AM   #1

K2 Battery Light

Hi! I made an account here to post this so I hope it is in the right place.

I have used my K1000 a lot in the past so I have experience with Pentax SLRs, but I was at a Hard-Off yesterday and saw a "Junk" Pentax K2 body for 3000 yen and it said "dirty" and "shutter works" so I read about it and tested it out. In the end, I bought it so I could take some film photos since I don't have any SLRs with me right now but I do have film. When I put batteries in it, everything worked fine but I realized that the battery check light doesn't turn off. It ended up draining the batteries after just a few hours when I left them in to see what would happen. I'm not sure exactly what happened to the button, but it doesn't move at all, and I don't really want to have to take them out after every time I take a picture.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this happening? I'm kinda sad but it was cheap so I could like make a fake on-off switch or something if I absolutely had to.

06-24-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had something similar happen with my K2DMD. It was diagnosed with a circuit board short that would drain the battery. The proper fix is to replace the electronics. Removing the batteries while not shooting is a work-aroumd. Or you could also just shoot using the mechanical shutter speed, I believe 1/125.
06-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could be that the battery test button is pushed in and held that way by crud. The black button next to the light should move in and out when you push it. If it doesn't, try a bit of water or mild cleaner on the tip of a Q-tip swab. Push the head against the button and spin it slowly. If it is a water soluble issue that may fix it. You could also try a tiny drop of oil.