Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Black Body Camera restoration

Do any of you know of a source to have a Black Body camera restored? I guess I mean repainted, but I'm not sure how the original finish was done.
I sent an Email to Eric H and he doesn't do it nor does he know of any one who does. Did a web search and the best I could find was a place that refinishes Black Leicas. I did not ask for a price. $$$$$$$$

10-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You may want to check Vintage Folding Cameras

He restores vintage folding cameras and sometimes will strip them down to the brass and polish the brass for a unique look. It seems that I read somewhere how he did it, but I can't for the life of me remember.
10-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
Damn Brit

I know you can get leather skins but I've never heard of the paint being restored.
I suppose you could take it to somewhere that does powder coating to see if they can match the paint. Just an idea?
10-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like you are looking at some sort of powder painting which is use by bike builders.

10-10-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Do any of you know of a source to have a Black Body camera restored? I guess I mean repainted, but I'm not sure how the original finish was done.
I sent an Email to Eric H and he doesn't do it nor does he know of any one who does. Did a web search and the best I could find was a place that refinishes Black Leicas. I did not ask for a price. $$$$$$$$
The original black finish on most cameras was good quality enamel paint. Nothing really special, I expect good quality model airplane paint (I recall those little tins of Humbrol quite fondly) would be a good choice for a type match.

Personally, I like the look of a well brassed black camera. One of the things I dislike about new cameras is that they don't brass.
08-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
air brush ?

Has anyone here tried using an air-brush to apply a good quality black enamel or poly urethane paint to otherwise sad-looking camera parts?
08-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

@OP

how about this site?

Paint Available From Micro-Tools Europe
08-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote

The OP was made 2 years ago.

08-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Do any of you know of a source to have a Black Body camera restored? I guess I mean repainted, but I'm not sure how the original finish was done...
Check out ths site:

How to paint a Pentax.
08-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The OP was made 2 years ago.
oh this is embarrassing.. sorry blue ..
08-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
oh this is embarrassing.. sorry blue ..
Still though, the thread you linked to is pretty interesting and a valuable resource. The topic of painting/repainting comes up every once in a while and it was interesting to read of a person actually going through the process. The end result looked pretty good. The big question in my mind is how durable the finish is going to be.

Steve
08-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It's kind of funny - Nikonians of a certain era took pride in not coddling their gear - I've seen people of that era with a couple of Nikons, with lenses on, dangling and banging toghether on their straps. The stuff was tough, see, and it was a point of honor to have a brassed black body with dings and stuff, and to have some dinged up lens on it.

As far as I can tell, this was mainly a Nikon thing, though the wear and brassiness did catch on with users of other cameras as well.
08-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
It's kind of funny - Nikonians of a certain era took pride in not coddling their gear - I've seen people of that era with a couple of Nikons, with lenses on, dangling and banging toghether on their straps. The stuff was tough, see, and it was a point of honor to have a brassed black body with dings and stuff, and to have some dinged up lens on it.

As far as I can tell, this was mainly a Nikon thing, though the wear and brassiness did catch on with users of other cameras as well.
I immediately see dennis hopper in apocalypse now. you are very right. but I don’t think it was mainly a nikon thing. leica users were the same way, and I think Pentax users then were also that way. it was in general a sign of a seasoned journalist, I know that for sure. the idea of a worn and brassy black camera now is more of a nostalgia thing I guess. you know its been loved and used well and often. like buying a really old watch.

also, tough as the nikon F may be, (I own one. have owned two, which included a black body F) it really is nothing compared to a Pentax screw mount body. the F had a few parts that can be considered more ‘rugged’ by design or materials used, but overall an F side by side against a spotmatic is no contest. the Pentax feels heftier, more rugged and well built. also more dependable in the field due to a much more simple design. simple=reliable. and there was nothing simple about the F.