Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Motor drive for sale at Goodwill

I don't know if anyone here needs or wants one, but there's a Pentax motor drive available as part of an auction ending in several hours at ShopGoodwill. See Pentax ME Super Vintage Film Camera & Accessories - shopgoodwill.com

Can't tell the details, as is typical there, but is paired with a ME Super and a couple of lenses. I don't often see them, so thought I'd mention it.

07-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You had me excited for a moment there, but it appears to be just the Pentax Winder ME II.

They're pretty common, and not really sought after by film photographers these days - because who needs to rip through their film resource at two frames per second?

True motor drives are pretty rare things in the Pentax world (Olympus too). Despite being available for the MX and LX, very few Pentaxians back then actually bought them. Perhaps this was because the main feature of Pentaxes (and Olympus at the time) was lighter weight and more compact bodies and lenses - so a motor drive with all its batteries didn't really fit in.

It also didn't help that Pentax (and Olympus at the time) seemed to think photographers wanted a vertical grip hanging down below the lens to operate the camera.
07-04-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I don't know if anyone here needs or wants one, but there's a Pentax motor drive available as part of an auction ending in several hours at ShopGoodwill. See Pentax ME Super Vintage Film Camera & Accessories - shopgoodwill.com

Can't tell the details, as is typical there, but is paired with a ME Super and a couple of lenses. I don't often see them, so thought I'd mention it.
It's a Motor-A for the Super Program. I don't think it works on the ME Super but on the Super Program it will do up to 3.5 fps

07-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
It's a Motor-A for the Super Program. I don't think it works on the ME Super but on the Super Program it will do up to 3.5 fps
I got fooled by not looking closely enough and even crafted a nice reply suitable for the Winder ME II. The Motor-A is a completely different beast and worth consideration for rarity, if nothing else. The manual is available at the Butkus site:

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_motor_drive_system/pentax_motor_drive_a.htm

Steve

07-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I don't think it works on the ME Super
The listing is sort of a grab bag. The manual is for a Program A and Kiron zoom, there is a remote for a G-series Canon and a few other odds and ends. The auction ended about a half hour ago at $41 USD.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-04-2019 at 04:03 PM.
07-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The listing is sort of a grab bag. The manual is for a Program A and Kiron zoom, there is a remote for a G-series Canon and a few other odds and ends. The auction ended about a half hour ago at $41 USD.

Steve
The Motor-A is nice on the Super Program but it's not too well built...some plastic against metal issues...I had my original battery pack latch break off (where the batteries insert into the holder) and have had top button break. I have another now and everything works except the battery pack shutter release which no longer click on or off...I have the push it into position before I can use it because it will spring back to "off" on its own.

I once owned a Motor-M with working NiCds battery pack and AA battery grip. I sold it along with a 250exp back...wish I kept it. That motor did up to 5fps on the MX and with a 250exp back I could shoot for 50 secs . I used that rig at NHRA races back in the day.