Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2019, 03:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

MX shutter button won't fully depress

I was using an MX, which has never had any fault, yesterday and suddenly the shutter button would only depress far enough to activate the meter, but no more. So I can meter but I can't take any shots. The shutter button lock is off.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas of what to try to get it working again?

Many thanks

07-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jonathan - I hope it's not the MX I sold you

The only similar situation that rings a slight bell is when you fail to advance the film fully, that won't allow the shutter to fire - but I suspect you've tried that?
07-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote

The only similar situation that rings a slight bell is when you fail to advance the film fully, that won't allow the shutter to fire - but I suspect you've tried that?

I haven't had this happen but if you have a cable release see if that works. If so, then it's something at the button position and you might be able to fix it by disassembling and cleaning the button lock. If the cable doesn't work, then the issue is deeper. I would then take the top off and see what might be causing the obstruction. Also...try releasing with the self timer.

07-09-2019, 12:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote

Hi John, no no, don't worry. That one might get it's test roll through it on Tenerife in a couple of weeks. I wouldn't normally test a camera on holiday but I like the MX for holidays (small, light, manual and, until now, very reliable) and of the three that I now have, I've only ever used this one that now has a problem. It's the first film SLR I ever owned, bought used in Edinburgh about seven years ago.

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I haven't had this happen but if you have a cable release see if that works. If so, then it's something at the button position and you might be able to fix it by disassembling and cleaning the button lock. If the cable doesn't work, then the issue is deeper. I would then take the top off and see what might be causing the obstruction. Also...try releasing with the self timer.
I'll try a cable release, will need to see if I've got one here, though if I haven't I think a straightened paper clip will probably do the job. Even if it does work, it's a shame that this camera has now lost the confidence I had in it. It currently has a roll of film in it so I'll need to remove that if I need to take the camera apart.

Still, the black one that I bought from Lennybloke is waiting in the wings to take over as my go-to holiday film camera.

07-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Hi John, no no, don't worry. That one might get it's test roll through it on Tenerife in a couple of weeks. I wouldn't normally test a camera on holiday but I like the MX for holidays (small, light, manual and, until now, very reliable) and of the three that I now have, I've only ever used this one that now has a problem. It's the first film SLR I ever owned, bought used in Edinburgh about seven years ago.

I'll try a cable release, will need to see if I've got one here, though if I haven't I think a straightened paper clip will probably do the job. Even if it does work, it's a shame that this camera has now lost the confidence I had in it. It currently has a roll of film in it so I'll need to remove that if I need to take the camera apart.

Still, the black one that I bought from Lennybloke is waiting in the wings to take over as my go-to holiday film camera.
It could be something simple that will correct itself. I'd would remove the film (keeping tract what frame you were on) and try 1) the self timer 2) a cable release or something similar 3) if you have the motor winder try that. If none of those trigger the shutter then it's something deeper inside... Still worth fixing if the camera is cosmetically nice. A good looking MX is usually in the $100-$150 range and I suspect will rise over time.

07-10-2019, 12:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yesterday evening I tried to trigger the shutter with a straightened paperclip and that was no go either. I managed to do it by depressing the button on the base which is to release the film and allow it to be rewound, but then it stuck on the next shot anyway. I re-wound it, leaving the leader out and removed it from the camera, but I opened the back of that camera by mistake a couple of weeks ago, which reset the counter, so I don't know how many frames I shot on it. My guess is that half the roll is still unexposed, so I may put it back in another camera and shoot the rest of it.

The MX now seems fine (with no film in it). Maybe the problem was caused by me accidentally opening the back, though I'm not sure how. I'll give it some cautious use in the future and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.
07-10-2019, 02:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It could be you were actually at the end of the roll. It stopped winding when you hit the end, and the shutter didnít get fully cocked, so no firing. When you pushed the release button, you allowed the shutter to be fully cocked, but since the film was done, you couldnít wind on again.

If it were me, Iíd develop the film you just took out. If the whole roll is exposed, youíve found your answer. If not, you have a different problem...

-Eric
07-10-2019, 04:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
It could be you were actually at the end of the roll. It stopped winding when you hit the end, and the shutter didnít get fully cocked, so no firing. When you pushed the release button, you allowed the shutter to be fully cocked, but since the film was done, you couldnít wind on again.

If it were me, Iíd develop the film you just took out. If the whole roll is exposed, youíve found your answer. If not, you have a different problem...

-Eric
Agree - that explains it. Opening the back before reset the counter, so you didn't know when you reached the end of the roll. I shot a roll of Arista 100 in my MX last week, and also found the shutter locked at frame 28. I hadn't realized I loaded a 24 exposure roll, which was long enough to get 27 frames (including frame 0), and ALMOST 28. But the film ending stops the last frame from fully cocking the shutter, so it won't fire.

07-11-2019, 01:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This was a 36 exposure roll and I'm pretty sure it was nowhere near the end, but you could be right. I'll develop it anyway and if I get a few shots then at least it wasn't a total waste.