Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, either would be my choice if the desire were to closely approximate the compact film SLR experience. An A7 or A7II with an adapter is only a little larger than an M-series Pentax and while heavier, is still a fairly nimble package. Whether such provides a similar shooting experience depends on the adapter used (even with preset stop-down, lack of auto-aperture actuation sucks) and how one relates to the EVF. Even with the same lens mounted, one does not simply train the camera at an overhead flock of sandhill cranes, snap focus, and shoot (my epiphany on my first roll of film after several years of digital...
Good points, Steve. Unless using a completely manual aperture lens, the mirrorles plus adapter solution still doesn't offer the same shooting experience and has it's limitations. Even then, the difference between using a split-prism focusing screen on an old film camera, and having to use magnified view in an EVF, adds steps and time in achieving an accurately focused image before taking the shot. Use of focus peaking can avoid the need to magnify the view with some practice, especially where repeatable perfect accuracy isn't required, or depth of field isn't razor thin. I will say, in anything other than lower-light situations, both magnified view and focus peaking (with practice) can negate the need to have the lens wide open for focusing, since the EVF - despite its limitations and some folks' difficulties with it - will brighten the view enough to allow for accurate composition and focusing...

When all's said and done, though, the best way to enjoy film-era lenses on a film era body is to shoot film

07-28-2019, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an idea of a film back for digital cameras.
Feel free to send $$$ to my Kickstarter campaign.

Chris
07-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good points, Steve. Unless using a completely manual aperture lens, the mirrorles plus adapter solution still doesn't offer the same shooting experience and has it's limitations. Even then, the difference between using a split-prism focusing screen on an old film camera, and having to use magnified view in an EVF, adds steps and time in achieving an accurately focused image before taking the shot. Use of focus peaking can avoid the need to magnify the view with some practice, especially where repeatable perfect accuracy isn't required, or depth of field isn't razor thin. I will say, in anything other than lower-light situations, both magnified view and focus peaking (with practice) can negate the need to have the lens wide open for focusing, since the EVF - despite its limitations and some folks' difficulties with it - will brighten the view enough to allow for accurate composition and focusing...

When all's said and done, though, the best way to enjoy film-era lenses on a film era body is to shoot film
Yeah...I think so too...I'm just dreaming...

07-28-2019, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Yeah...I think so too...I'm just dreaming...
As I said before, Tony, nothing wrong with that

For what it's worth, if someone came out with a digital back that could capture images on a 35mm sensor - heck, even an APS-C sensor - on the film plane, I'd be interested myself

07-29-2019, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it's worth, if someone came out with a digital back that could capture images on a 35mm sensor - heck, even an APS-C sensor - on the film plane, I'd be interested myself
Could easily be done with a firmware update...

On a more serious note, the main issue would probably be return on investment for the maker given that the price would likely be close to that of an A7III with very limited sales volume.

Steve
07-30-2019, 02:43 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
Hello everyone! If any of you are from New York City, me and my partner will be at Adomana demonstrating to everyone I'm Back 35mm and the medium format prototype on cameras like Mamiya c330, Hasselblad, Rolleiflex automat, Mamiya 645 and Bronica etrsi!
You better see the copies on A4-size paper yourself to get an idea of what you can do with a small sensor. ;-)

For more pictures (big files) click here; https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZLiNKT4OMf330q4vVM0HM0uhxGQxehfm
07-30-2019, 01:33 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Film creates chemical waste. Seriously 😒 !! Any idea how many chemicals get sloshed away making silicon chips and all that plastic on a modern camera eek 😬 it would make your head spin faster than the motor drive spindle. A nice old analog camera will have lasted a lifetime already and with some tlc will last another one too....reducing waste. Reuse, ♻️ recycle ♻️ Peace out ✌️

07-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have an idea of a film back for digital cameras.
Feel free to send $$$ to my Kickstarter campaign.

Chris
Is it the one I saw that's a combo of a polaroid back and the Kodak cardboard copier that just takes a photo of the screen?

-Eric
11-10-2019, 05:15 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I said before, Tony, nothing wrong with that

This guy should have put the sensor where he put to focus screen,then people would have went for it.
11-10-2019, 05:46 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
This guy should have put the sensor where he put to focus screen,then people would have went for it.
The problem is that he’s using a tiny sensor, so there has to be something to make the film frame completely fill the sensor.

-Eric
11-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
The problem is that he’s using a tiny sensor, so there has to be something to make the film frame completely fill the sensor.

-Eric
solution use the right size sensor, ps also I have a solution for triggering the sensor to coincide with the cameras automatic functions. Instead of using bulb mode, use the native settings of the camera. I Emailed this info to him but it fell on DEAF EARS, So a toy is what it is, too bad.One other point why could they have made it so it was set up lie a film cartridge, there by leave the camera looking like a camera,Not a big Mess

Last edited by niceshot; 11-10-2019 at 05:55 PM.
11-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

solution use the right size sensor, ps also I have a solution for triggering the sensor to coincide with the cameras automatic functions. Instead of using bulb mode, use the native settings of the camera. I Emailed this info to him but it fell on DEAF EARS
There has to be a really good reason he didn't link the imaging to the flash sync or something like that.
I imagine there's some latency in the digital end of things that's hard to predict in a way that would provide useful results over the range of film cameras this thing is meant to be compatible with.
Otherwise, what system would allow communication with a Pentax MX, Nikon F3, and Leica M3? How would you know when to capture the image?

There's going to be some even worse issues with a "right size sensor". Outside of Kodak and Fuji in the 1990s, has anyone seriously tried to put an APS or larger sensor in an existing body?
And my understanding is that the changes Kodak and Fuji made to their Nikon and Canon host bodies were irreversible (so you can't practically turn a DCS460 back into a N90s or whatever it was).

By the time you do that, you might as well make a custom body with modern features that takes the older lenses... which of course is where we are now...

All that said, I'm still on the list of folks who would be marginally interested in a digital back for my MX (since the K1000 back doesn't come off...).
Though something like that would be a toy, and I don't expect anything like the results from a K1...

-Eric
11-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First of all he could use a full frame sensor in a film cartridge ,and second I have a really siple idea how to sync the shutter and the sensor/film cartridge But he needs to reach out to ME
11-11-2019, 04:16 AM   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

First of all he could use a full frame sensor in a film cartridge ,and second I have a really siple idea how to sync the shutter and the sensor/film cartridge But he needs to reach out to ME
I trust you're aware of the DigiPod project from a few years back? It didn't make it to market... As is often the case, translating an apparently simple idea into a working product isn't as easy as it might seem
11-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #30

Hello! I'm working on some projects for the old analogs right now here in Shenzhen in China. Soon I will launch the revised model of I'm Back, more compact, new design and more functions and I am also working on the production of I'm Back for medium format. Personally, there is digital (divided into classes such as, cell phone, dsrl, mirrorless, medium format), there is film, there is Diana (lomo), pinhole and now to complete (and not to replace anything) there is I'm Back mode! Anyone who wants to use whoever they don't want don't use it! Long live democracy!

Greetings to all!

Samuel Mello Medeiros ;-)

Picture: Nikon F 50mm f1.2 + "2 prototype I'm Back 4mp" - now I use 16mp.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
RP_imx219  Photo 
Closed Thread