Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ME Super was my main camera body from 1980 to 2008, when I went digital. I have a PZ-1 also, purchased in the early 1990's. And though the PZ-1 is an amazing camera, it never replaced the simplicity, ease of use, and pure enjoyment of my ME Super. Congratulations on your graduation to the ME Super. I can tell you from decades of experience, you won't be disappointed with it.

08-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #17

Congratulations - ME Super is awesome. I used one a lot until I ran into some technical problems with mine. It's a super effortless camera.

PS. I have to mention because I just noticed it: Jonathan in the new Stranger Things season uses an ME Super and an SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7
08-08-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

ME Supers are great, the viewfinder is BBBRRRIIIGGGHHHTTT!
I had some issues adapting to the button instead fo dials, but after a few trials it worked out perfectly

The size and feel is amazing, and makes you wonder if there would ever be another camera like it

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Since I was 16 all I have really known was the K1000. Ive had several and never was interested in using anything else.

However the other day I scored a ME Super with 4 lenses in mint condition at an auction for $25. Rather than re-donating it to someone or selling it on Etsy I started looking at it closer.
I decided to read through the User Manual , popped in a couple batteries...…..And now Im completely hooked !

Over the last decade Ive probably had no less than 10 of them go through my hands in quest of various lenses , but never bothered to try one or even give it 2 seconds thought.....Wow....What have I been missing ?

Now Im relegating my (2) K1000 keepers to the storage drawer , selling the 2 others I have , and looking for a second ME Super !
08-08-2019, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
If you like the ME Super then I would suggest a "Super A" next.

Phil.
Thanks for doing this to me....I now have a Super Program ordered.....Oh My.....(((sigh))).....Two actually !

08-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by film-love Quote

PS. I have to mention because I just noticed it: Jonathan in the new Stranger Things season uses an ME Super and an SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7
I think it’s a plain ME, at least in season one. It has the AOCo logo on the prism...

-Eric
08-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think it’s a plain ME, at least in season one. It has the AOCo logo on the prism...

-Eric
It was - but it looks like he upgraded for season 3

Also contains a scene where he opens the film back/removes the roll right after shooting - without ever rewinding it first...
08-08-2019, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for doing this to me....I now have a Super Program ordered.....Oh My.....(((sigh))).....Two actually !
Congrats you'll like the Super Program! Just a heads up to read the manual on loading film and advancing to the 1st frame. The camera won't let you get extra frames in a roll as the meter defaults to 1/1000 until the film is advanced properly.

Pentax Super Program Manual

Phil.

08-08-2019, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

The super program is a sweet camera, I had a couple but gave them away
They work fine with modern lenses (minus the AF); even the ones with no aperture ring

Their only weak spot IMHO is the illumnation of the information screen

I know this is a ProgramA /ProgramPlus but the LCD backlight is the same
08-08-2019, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #24

Photos: Gallery
Since I was 16 all I have really known was the K1000. Ive had several and never was interested in using anything else.

However the other day I scored a ME Super with 4 lenses in mint condition at an auction for $25. Rather than re-donating it to someone or selling it on Etsy I started looking at it closer.
I decided to read through the User Manual , popped in a couple batteries...…..And now Im completely hooked !

Over the last decade Ive probably had no less than 10 of them go through my hands in quest of various lenses , but never bothered to try one or even give it 2 seconds thought.....Wow....What have I been missing ?

Now Im relegating my (2) K1000 keepers to the storage drawer , selling the 2 others I have , and looking for a second ME Super !
I used an MX for 27 years (about the same size as your ME Super, but manual exposure only), and loved it. I only replaced it with a Pentax DSLR in 2007 when Kodachrome was no longer available. I wish that Pentax could make a DSLR the same size as an MX and as simple to use. A modern DSLR has so many features I don't need...
08-08-2019, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ME Super is not built to last. The electronics can be a weak point (mine has now decided to only shoot at one speed no matter light meter indicates) and the cocking mechanism is not robust. Stick with the K1000 or get the KX or MX if you want more sophistication in a well built camera. My My ME F also has intermittent electronic problems, making it unusable.
08-08-2019, 06:05 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
The super program is a sweet camera, I had a couple but gave them away
They work fine with modern lenses (minus the AF); even the ones with no aperture ring

Their only weak spot IMHO is the illumnation of the information screen

I know this is a ProgramA /ProgramPlus but the LCD backlight is the same
I've had a number of Super Programs (SP) over the years and it's my favorite film Pentax next to the MX...the LX was a little out of my price range and I'd rather have multiple MXs and SPs than one LX. I currently own 2 of each. The viewfinder illumination is one weak spot if the SP. Another is the button to light it...hard to press and bad position. The SP has always been a very reliable camera, IMHO, much better than the ME variants. The main problem I've experienced with the SP is the half press shutter button meter-on function. Eventually the switch gets oxidation (probably) and doesn't turn on the metering. Pressing the shutter several times while locked will usually get it back working for a while anyway. One other weak part is the motor drive...battery pack clips on metal on plastic which can (and has for me) and the grip top often breaks or the battery pack bottom release sometimes breaks. Overall it's still a camera I want to have film in. I guess some day the LEDs will die and that'll be the end of it.

08-08-2019, 06:40 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

FWIW, I own the Super Program and prefer the ME Super* unless P mode or Tv modes are required. The ME Super simply has the better viewfinder. Of course, you will now be in a position to do the comparison directly.

Steve

* I don't currently own an ME Super (have a couple Ricoh XR7 instead), but truly appreciate the full information display for Av and M mode supported by that camera and missing on the Super Program.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-08-2019 at 06:59 PM.